Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Green or Speed? Toyota Looking Into a "Green" Mode Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 06:29 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Green or Speed? Toyota Looking Into a "Green" Mode Switch

DETROIT — Toyota is considering the idea of putting a switch into such hybrid models as the Prius and the Lexus RX 400h, letting drivers alternate at will between "green," or most fuel-efficient, and "power," or most performance-oriented driving.

The president of Toyota's U.S. sales unit, Jim Press, told The Wall Street Journal that the automaker is currently studying a switch system that would work in a similar way to a car's air-conditioning controls.

The Journal quotes U.S. Lexus chief Bob Carter as saying the luxury division wants to meet the desires of customers for "no-compromise" hybrid vehicles. He comments that drivers "may want fuel economy" in everyday driving but "Sunday you might want to go and drive the wheels off." Carter told the paper that Toyota is currently working on a switch that would let drivers switch between the two settings.

What this means to you: A "green" switch could make it harder to choose between the angel on your left shoulder and the devil on your right foot. But leave it to Toyota to think of a way to make both environmentalists and enthusiasts like hybrids.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108870

This could be the ETC/POWER switch of the future.
Old 01-11-06, 09:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't that like using the ECT setting but with control of the hybrid system?

I think this will work better for the hybrid-for-performance vehicles (such as the GS or LS) rather than the hybrid-for-gas-consumption (such as the Prius). I mean, can you really pull off "performance-oriented driving" with the Prius?
Old 01-12-06, 02:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Isn't that like using the ECT setting but with control of the hybrid system?

I think this will work better for the hybrid-for-performance vehicles (such as the GS or LS) rather than the hybrid-for-gas-consumption (such as the Prius). I mean, can you really pull off "performance-oriented driving" with the Prius?
you can drive prius "fast" as well as any other car.
Old 01-12-06, 03:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

So...who needs a switch?
You've already got a built-in natural switch.......the muscles of your right foot.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-12-06 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-12-06, 07:04 AM
Koma

I'd like it better if they had the technology like Dodge has with some of their cars where it uses less cylinders when not driving agressively. Or maybe a switch. That way if I wanted my SC400 to be a SC200 and drive without wasting gas I could.
Old 01-12-06, 08:16 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

probably for take off acceleration which im pretty sure the prius and every other hybrid is watered down for a smooth operation.. with a switch they could let more of the torque be transfered to the wheels since electric motors produce most/all of their torque at 0 rpms
Old 01-12-06, 04:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So...who needs a switch?
You've already got a built-in natural switch.......the muscles of your right foot.
Absolutely right! This might make for dumb idea of the year.

In green mode you cannot merge onto busy highways and get run over. Or with green mode off you can merge but you run out of fuel in the traffic jam.
Old 01-12-06, 05:00 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So...who needs a switch?
it will probalby be like the power switch in the lexus and toyota cars, where revs are limited and some sort
Old 01-12-06, 05:04 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

"Switch?" "I don't need no stink'en switch"
Old 01-12-06, 05:37 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Why are some of you guys complaining about a switch that gives you more options? Why was nobody complaing about the ECT PWR and SNOW button then? While most just leave the button at the default position, the button will give those who care an option to make the car behave more to their likings.

It's a known fact that one car can never get optimal fuel economy AND optimal performance at the same time. So just get over it, and flip the switch accordingly!
Old 01-12-06, 06:32 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Why are some of you guys complaining about a switch that gives you more options? Why was nobody complaing about the ECT PWR and SNOW button then? While most just leave the button at the default position, the button will give those who care an option to make the car behave more to their likings.
What wrong with going back to basics and using our brains to control our foot. Don't see how a switch is going to solve anything. If you want good gas milage, then you just can't go around mashing the gas, braking your car at the last possible moment or flying down the freeway as fast as you can. For those who need a switch that bad, I say get a Bicycle.
Old 01-12-06, 06:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I could have sworn the Camry Hybrid has something like this. It works in a normal default mode and a efficient mode. Turns off the A/C, adds electronic steering instead of hydraulic etc. Oh well.

Sounds like a good idea. Might as well go for it. I for one am ALWAYS up for more choices.
Old 01-12-06, 07:33 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
What wrong with going back to basics and using our brains to control our foot. Don't see how a switch is going to solve anything. If you want good gas milage, then you just can't go around mashing the gas, braking your car at the last possible moment or flying down the freeway as fast as you can. For those who need a switch that bad, I say get a Bicycle.
Going back to the basic is fine only when the rest of the car is basic too. That is, a car with a gas motor and a manual transmission.

However, we're talking about cars with automatic transmissions or a hybrid drivetrain here, where cars think for you and you have no direct control over the shift timing and/or the power split between the gas motor and the electric motor. That is why a switch is needed--to tell the computer how aggressively it should shift or how the gas motor vs. the electric motor should be prioritized.

Choice = luxury.

If you like going back to the basic and using your brain so much, get a go kart and be done with it. You'll enjoy no ABS (because you can brake more lightly on slippery roads yourself), no VSC (because you can counter lost control by yourself), no Brake Assist (because you know when to brake harder and when not to yourself), and many many more. Won't that be just wonderful?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 01-12-06 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-12-06, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Sounds like a good idea. Might as well go for it. I for one am ALWAYS up for more choices.
Choice is easy -

1) drive like lead foot - good performance, bad economy.
2) drive like uncle floyd - bad performance, good economy.

Old 01-12-06, 08:10 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Going back to the basic is fine only when the rest of the car is basic too. That is, a car with a gas motor and a manual transmission.

However, we're talking about cars with automatic transmissions or a hybrid drivetrain here, where cars think for you and you have no direct control over the shift timing and/or the power split between the gas motor and the electric motor. That is why a switch is needed--to tell the computer how aggressively it should shift or how the gas motor vs. the electric motor should be prioritized.

Choice = luxury.

If you like going back to the basic and using your brain so much, get a go kart and be done with it. You'll enjoy no ABS (because you can brake more lightly on slippery roads yourself), no VSC (because you can counter lost control by yourself), no Brake Assist (because you know when to brake harder and when not to yourself), and many many more. Won't that be just wonderful?
Perhaps you should go back and re-read my post. You obviously missed my point of going back to basics. Where did I say anything about ABS, VSC, and Brake Assist? These are all safety features that I believe should be standard on every car. What I’m talking about is using common sense to get good gas mpg’s. If your telling me a switch is needed to tell the cpu what to do, then I say that’s the most absurd thing I ever heard of. Since when do you need a switch to tell the computer what to do? Shift points, gas vs. electric priorities, recharging, etc, are all done based on driver inputs to the accelerator and brake pedal.
Let’s say you put it in green mode and you’re driving around town. Then you decide to get on the freeway and forget to put your switch in performance mode or some other “non green” mode. As you’re merging, you decide you need to get up to speed quickly to avoid that 18 wheeler coming up. So you hit the gas. Guess what, the computer is going to respond to your foot and not some switch that says “save gas”. If you’re that reliant or concerned about having a switch to save gas, then don’t drive – ride a bike.

Quick Reply: Green or Speed? Toyota Looking Into a "Green" Mode Switch