Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fleet Sales Data for 2005

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-06, 08:15 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
You'll be shocked how many new Sonatas are in Hertz and Enterprise's fleets here in CA. Even the other smaller rental agencies are carrying them heavily.
I'm not shocked at all. I'm sure that there are a higher percentage of fleet Sonatas than Camrys and Accords.
Old 01-14-06, 08:23 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is nothing wrong with that BTW, as long as Hyundai is making money on them. It will lower the resale though Jrock, which is something to think about - you spend more on Toyota now, but you sell it easier and for more later on...
It will definitely lower resale... which does level out total ownership costs if you're selling within 6 years or so.

But it's not a bad idea for a company like Hyundai to sell their cars to fleets more. Hyundai still has a bad reputation among the general public and most won't even give a Hyundai dealership the time of day. Through rentals, Hyundai can get people into good products like the Sonata and have them thinking, "Hey, these cars ain't that bad at all."

You said that Sonata sales doubled within the last 2 months and that most of the increase was from fleet sales. That suggests that fleet sales were like 30% to 40% in the last 2 months. I was just curious where I can get that kind of recent fleet data.
Old 01-14-06, 08:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
It will definitely lower resale... which does level out total ownership costs if you're selling within 6 years or so.

But it's not a bad idea for a company like Hyundai to sell their cars to fleets more. Hyundai still has a bad reputation among the general public and most won't even give a Hyundai dealership the time of day. Through rentals, Hyundai can get people into good products like the Sonata and have them thinking, "Hey, these cars ain't that bad at all."

You said that Sonata sales doubled within the last 2 months and that most of the increase was from fleet sales. That suggests that fleet sales were like 30% to 40% in the last 2 months. I was just curious where I can get that kind of recent fleet data.
i read it in some post somewhere, i am sure info will be available relativly soon anyway on fleet news site. Again, nothing wrong with fleet sales, if you can make money with them...
Old 01-14-06, 09:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The Camry has another model to add to those numbers that the Accord does not have. I believe the Camry Solara "convertable" is also counted as Camry sales which the Accord does not have a convertable model to compete with so that might be what it putting total Camry sales over Accord sales even for retail purchase.
I think when people are comparing Camry & Accord sales, most are more interested in comparing the sedan versions as a family car, & those should account for most of their sales. Since neither Toyota nor Honda seperate out the sales figure of the sedans, there's really no way one can be sure from the published figures.
Old 01-14-06, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
You'll be shocked how many new Sonatas are in Hertz and Enterprise's fleets here in CA. Even the other smaller rental agencies are carrying them heavily.
Well, the new Sonata is a pretty nice car. That shows that some rental firms are starting to spend their money wisely. I guess they are getting tired of buying junk.
Old 01-14-06, 06:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
The Camry has another model to add to those numbers that the Accord does not have. I believe the Camry Solara "convertable" is also counted as Camry sales which the Accord does not have a convertable model to compete with so that might be what it putting total Camry sales over Accord sales even for retail purchase.
I doubt it. Accord sales also include the Accord coupe, just like the Solara is included in Camry sales.

And as mentioned, this data is not for 2005, but for Oct 2004 - March 2005. We don't have data yet for all of 2005.