Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LA Auto Show coverage...........**56K go call your mother and tell her you love her*

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 03:14 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Me and mine's went last night. They wanted $25 for parking and it was crowded so we ended up parking at a park and ride and spent $5 to catch the Blue Line train.

The show was what's expected....a bunch of people going to see cars as if it was the biggest dealership showroom floor ever.
Old 01-15-06, 05:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Great pics from the Show. Beautiful cars and all around great shots you took. I thank you for that. However, I can't quite understand your need for the negative and stereotypical fried chicken/kool aid remark with "ebonic" slang when referring to the "poor" African American girl gazing through the car window. But when I looked back at your opening statements regarding "A ton of Mexican's and wannabe rich people there. It was still great though." It became a little more clear. I don't know you and I'm hesitant to pass judgement on you but I must say as and African American/Latino and more importantly a human being. It's dissapointing to see such remarks/views expressed in 2006 especially from a person in such an ethnically diverse region of the country. I'm all for free speech and one expressing their views as I feel its better to know what a person really thinks/feels than for them to hide it. Thanx for the pics, not the distasteful yet honest captions. Peace
I agree with LexLaw.....The pics are great and thats why i clicked on the thread to see them... But my mood changed when i read that fried chix slang and thought to myself that CL doesn't need anyone making fun or judging the way a person is and most of all quick to judge wheather there poor or not... I guess you were brought up to be a negative person...Everyone gets treated evenly and fair in my book.. I guess thats what your not about.... GoodLuck....
Old 01-15-06, 07:09 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, nice pics! Thanks alot.

What the hell is a Spyker? Looks interesting.

I disagree with LexLaw and the others. Sure, the OP stereotyped and made fun of people. So what? He didn't say anything negative about poor or black people. It's the minorities and liberal white people that always think the term Mexican, Black, or poor is negative. It's no more negative than calling you by your name. Why? Because it's what you are. I was out for dinner last night. There were alot of black people eating with us. Is that negative? No. It's the same as saying there were alot of waiters there too. The negativity is something you percieve. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Old 01-15-06, 07:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,453 Likes on 1,608 Posts

benxd - thanks for the pictures but your MULTITUDE of bigoted and other put down comments are completely inappropriate. You need to edit your posts.

Please don't take out whatever inadequacy you're compensating for on here.
Old 01-15-06, 08:19 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GREAT pics!!!
WEAK commentary, keep the racial remarks to your self.
Old 01-15-06, 09:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Wow, nice pics! Thanks alot.

What the hell is a Spyker? Looks interesting.

I disagree with LexLaw and the others. Sure, the OP stereotyped and made fun of people. So what? He didn't say anything negative about poor or black people. It's the minorities and liberal white people that always think the term Mexican, Black, or poor is negative. It's no more negative than calling you by your name. Why? Because it's what you are. I was out for dinner last night. There were alot of black people eating with us. Is that negative? No. It's the same as saying there were alot of waiters there too. The negativity is something you percieve. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
comment about not being able to eat chicken and drink koolaid is not bad? lol. you are in denial dude.
I would ban him from the site. He can move to Georgia and talk with his friends down there like that.
Old 01-15-06, 09:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice pics, but he can save the commentary for himself, & it's sad that someone didn't see the deplorable attitude in this, the worst Auto show posts ever
Old 01-15-06, 09:51 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
by the way, being black is not what i am. it does not define me. no more than you being white (if you are) defines you. it is a characteristic, a trait that you are born with. a characteristic that i more than proud of, despite the negative connotations that others would perpetuate. but its what you do in your life that makes you who/what you are. but that says alot about you in making that statement. and there is a difference b/w stating the obvious (with your example) and making a racist/bigoted statement based on what he perceives. i didnt see kool-aid and fried chicken in the pic. just a black girl. so for him to come-off with the stereotype, which was a negative one, from that pic is bigoted. why even take the pic with her in the shot then? there's an asian chick in the background, would it be ok for me to say that she's looking forward to eating some fried rice and getting into a wreck on the way home? of course not. its a shame that people still have these views in '06. and almost as bad is the fact that people like you wont come off the mountain top to recognize the problems with it.........

edit - my example using the asian girl was not meant to offend anyone. rather to show the idiotic, absurd stereotypes that ignorant people (OP) use based on someone's heritage/looks............

Last edited by DrRick; 01-15-06 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-15-06, 10:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by meZoom!
Me and mine's went last night. They wanted $25 for parking and it was crowded so we ended up parking at a park and ride and spent $5 to catch the Blue Line train.

The show was what's expected....a bunch of people going to see cars as if it was the biggest dealership showroom floor ever.
haha so much for going during weekends rena!
Old 01-15-06, 11:21 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by DrRick
by the way, being black is not what i am. it does not define me. no more than you being white (if you are) defines you. it is a characteristic, a trait that you are born with.

and almost as bad is the fact that people like you wont come off the mountain top to recognize the problems with it.........

edit - my example using the asian girl was not meant to offend anyone. rather to show the idiotic, absurd stereotypes that ignorant people (OP) use based on someone's heritage/looks............
You're right, it doesn't define your personality or personal characteristics. But yes, if you think literally, it is what you are. I am white; you are black, she is a woman. I am a student. Do these things tell you anything about me other than my skin color or what I do during the day? No, we are these things.

I'm not necessarily here to defend the OP. For all we know, he's quoting the black girl in the picture for exactly what she said. What would you say if it is a direct quote? He might also have been trying to be negative or insulting about it. You and I don't know.

I just don't like how people automatically percieve things to be negative. I was in Cancun for Christmas break. There were alot of Mexicans and poor people there. Is that negative? Hardly. I didn't mention how frienly and open to other cultures these Mexicans were. Just because there's a stereotype for back people stating that they like chicken and kool-aid doesn't mean that there's something wrong with black people. I like chicken and kool-aid and I'm white. Asian people have stereotypes for being smart and/or poor drivers. We don't think less of them because of this; we might just use these stereotypes for casual jokes by the watercooler or what have you.

Let's do this: you can call yourself whatever made up P.C. name you want to. Use African American, whatever. I'm going to use white, because I think caucasian is stupid. Let's stop calling people from Mexico Mexicans, because God forbid they be offended by calling them what they are. From now on, we're going to call them South Canadians. Let's no longer use the term "Asian". It offends me. Let's use the term "Far Easterners".

I think it's people like the OP who feed the minds of people like Reverand Jackson to make up political bull about inequality and unfairness due to labels like those above. IMO, it's people like me who are realistics and unbiased and are able to analyze the facts and try my best to state it.
Old 01-15-06, 11:25 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf
He can move to Georgia and talk with his friends down there like that.

Sorry man, but you're now no better than he is. You're stereotyping people from Georgia to be racists and trashtalkers?

Let's not be hypocritical.
Old 01-15-06, 11:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Great pics from the Show. Beautiful cars and all around great shots you took. I thank you for that. However, I can't quite understand your need for the negative and stereotypical fried chicken/kool aid remark with "ebonic" slang when referring to the "poor" African American girl gazing through the car window. But when I looked back at your opening statements regarding "A ton of Mexican's and wannabe rich people there. It was still great though." It became a little more clear. I don't know you and I'm hesitant to pass judgement on you but I must say as and African American/Latino and more importantly a human being. It's dissapointing to see such remarks/views expressed in 2006 especially from a person in such an ethnically diverse region of the country. I'm all for free speech and one expressing their views as I feel its better to know what a person really thinks/feels than for them to hide it. Thanx for the pics, not the distasteful yet honest captions. Peace
I was seeing all the great pics and I just happened to scroll down and read that.

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THEY ARE DAVE CHAPELLE!?!?!?

Edited for its content.

Old 01-15-06, 11:33 AM
LexFather

)#($()#() Edit, This Is Closed