Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mitsu EVO vs Subie WRX vs S2000 vs RX-8

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06 | 11:02 AM
LexFather

Smile Mitsu EVO vs Subie WRX vs S2000 vs RX-8

Keep it friendly guys.
This thread here got hi-jacked so here is a new thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195530
Old 01-15-06 | 11:18 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

and magazines are written by car professionals who know more about cars than everyone on this forum added together.
Not to be mean, but that's about as far from the truth as you can get. While certain auto journos are indeed experienced and have opinions worth writing about, a large number of them are just journalists who happen to be writing about cars. That doesn't make them knowledgeable about much in my book.
Old 01-15-06 | 11:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by heffergm
Not to be mean, but that's about as far from the truth as you can get. While certain auto journos are indeed experienced and have opinions worth writing about, a large number of them are just journalists who happen to be writing about cars. That doesn't make them knowledgeable about much in my book.
That is correct b/c I'd put MMarshall, AmhstSC and myself up there with them.

And we look better and acutally own a car or 2.
Old 01-15-06 | 01:48 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

I am not flaming, but this is for low-j and any other "magazine racer." Magazines are not a substitute for the real driving experience. I do not state my opinions about cars, that I have driven personally, as fact. Neither should anyone else. As with any car vs. car, the driver has sa lot to do with the outcome. Even in car mags, the more reputable ones like C&D, R&D, Automobile, etc. I highly doubt that every driver drives exactly the same as the other. And just for my own ego, an EVO, especially an MR, would blow away an rx-8 any day. I have driven both and I own an EVO MR. I have autocrossed the following, Miata, rx-8, porsche boxter-s, dodge viper srt-10, evo 8, evo 8 MR, c-5 corvette, and numerous old datsuns and toyota track cars. The only car that stood a chance at keeping up with me was the c-5 and the viper, but couldn't quite cut it. But I should also let you know I have been autocrossing for years and have been to Skip Barber's racing school. Hands on a magazine are no substitution for hands on a steering wheel.

Side note: I agree, I nominate 1SICKLEX, MMarshall, and AmethySC as the official CL Test Drivers
Old 01-16-06 | 09:22 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And we look better

Well, that's debatable.

But you're right on point. There are quite a lot of memebers here that not only know what they're talking about when it comes to cars (and I mean a diverse selection of cars), they have also driven them and own some of them!!

In all honesty I put a bit more creedence on some of the reviews I read here than I the ones I read in C&D!
Old 01-16-06 | 02:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Low J.
I am at a racetrack almost every other weekend.......and magazines are written by car professionals who know more about cars than everyone on this forum added together. The fact that you judge a car by how many "women" drive it just shows honestly just don't know cars. I see almost NOTHING but women around here driving S2K's, 350Z's, Miata's, M3's, etc, etc.....and they are all fantastic sports cars.

Oh really? I've never seen a woman driving an S2000 or M3 - the manual tranny is way too much for them to handle. The RX8 on the other hand, while being pretty sporty is still a chick car, sort of like a Mini pooper, and in no way a competition for the S2000.

In fact, the S2000 is in class of it's own. It's driving dynamics are most close to a sports bike, the only thing coming close to it is perhaps the Elise, but the Elise just doesn't have that "holy *********t hold on* pull that s2000 delivers at high rpms.

Oh yeah, did I mention the RX8 is a chick car?

Last edited by Och; 01-16-06 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-17-06 | 12:36 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heffergm
It is possible that some people on this forum might know more about the mechanicals of cars than car journalists. BUT there is almost no way for anyone on this forum to have test driven more cars than car journalists have. How many cars at most a non professional car testers have driven? Forty? Fifty? Those auto journalists have test driven hundreds of vehicles, although not one single journalist has test driven all. After you do the same thing more than fifty times, you must have acquired some skills. In this case, auto journalists have some very sensitive feel about cars that normal people don't have.
Old 01-17-06 | 12:48 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Oh really? I've never seen a woman driving an S2000 or M3 - the manual tranny is way too much for them to handle. The RX8 on the other hand, while being pretty sporty is still a chick car, sort of like a Mini pooper, and in no way a competition for the S2000.

In fact, the S2000 is in class of it's own. It's driving dynamics are most close to a sports bike, the only thing coming close to it is perhaps the Elise, but the Elise just doesn't have that "holy *********t hold on* pull that s2000 delivers at high rpms.

Are you a sexist or something? And you have not gone out enough, I have seen many women driving S2000. Come on, driving a manual transmission equipped vehicle is not driving a spaceship. Plus, M3 has SMG, that is almost a auto tranny. I have seen girl, beautiful young girl in her early twenties, driving a yellow EVO VIII. "Way too much for them to handle?" This is the most ridiculous sentence I have heard for a while. I have seen girl riding sport bike also. I am pretty sure you are the kind of person who drive stick to show off.......I know a young dude who drives stick shift car but can't parallel park as well as his mom. I do not own either S2000 or RX-8, so don't say I am biased towards either one. I like both, they just tend to serve different kinds of drivers.
Old 01-17-06 | 01:48 AM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

i love them all. a rx8 is in no way slow. my friend has an rx7 just with tires and rims but he can hang with my other friends evo8 mr downhill in the mountain. i mean some dude in a s2k with race tires cant even hang. in fact the s2k on i think a048 tires couldnt even hang with my friends civic hb with rt215 tires with a b16b motor UPHILL.

i think all the cars have great potential in any aspect that you want it tobe. with enough money anything is possible.

ps. come down to socal and you'll see so many women driving stick car. have you seen that vid with a hot blonde driving a f360 modena in teh canyon?
Old 01-17-06 | 03:07 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

there's a girl around here..

about 18-20 yrs old

drives the old evo 8.

i girl i know in another forum...traded in her tC for an S2000.
a friend of mine...decided cars were boring so she bought a bike.

"too much to handle"... is mad BS
Old 01-17-06 | 07:14 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
It is possible that some people on this forum might know more about the mechanicals of cars than car journalists. BUT there is almost no way for anyone on this forum to have test driven more cars than car journalists have. How many cars at most a non professional car testers have driven? Forty? Fifty? Those auto journalists have test driven hundreds of vehicles, although not one single journalist has test driven all. After you do the same thing more than fifty times, you must have acquired some skills. In this case, auto journalists have some very sensitive feel about cars that normal people don't have.

I don't know if i agree completely. Normally, an automobile journalist writes at most, 1 feature article per issue. That equates to 1 test car per month. 12 per year. Throw in the occassional blurb article or quick info and maybe they get behind the wheel of another 3-4 cars. 16 test drives doesn't make them the be-all, end-all in my book.

One of our own, mmarshall, has written dozens of car reviews of automobiles that he has personally driven. In the almost 2 years I have been here, I've read a LOT of his reviews and they convey a more realist interpretation of the vehicle. I don't agree with every review he has done. And I don't think you should agree with every review ever written. The point is that mmarshall's reviews as compared to some journalist's review is more "real". At least thats my view on it.
Old 01-17-06 | 03:04 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I don't know if i agree completely. Normally, an automobile journalist writes at most, 1 feature article per issue. That equates to 1 test car per month. 12 per year. Throw in the occassional blurb article or quick info and maybe they get behind the wheel of another 3-4 cars. 16 test drives doesn't make them the be-all, end-all in my book.

One of our own, mmarshall, has written dozens of car reviews of automobiles that he has personally driven. In the almost 2 years I have been here, I've read a LOT of his reviews and they convey a more realist interpretation of the vehicle. I don't agree with every review he has done. And I don't think you should agree with every review ever written. The point is that mmarshall's reviews as compared to some journalist's review is more "real". At least thats my view on it.
Well put, I agree
Old 01-17-06 | 03:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
One thing I would like to add. most journalists perspective is only from their view and their peers and even countrys. When your NOT an auto journalist, your more open to an honest opinion b/c you don't have to pay advertisement bills, there is no editor in chief to report too, and if you read and drive from countless sources, you can get a GREAT opinion of a car by adding it all up.

Originally Posted by Och

Would u like me to post pics of the Atlanta S2000 owners? SELOC meets with them often, a fabulous bunch and oh my, they have women members
I've seen a chicks M3s before and to be honest, I don't see them in RX-8s anymore than any other car.
Old 01-17-06 | 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkorsu

Yes....that is one of several reasons why I don't really want to work for an auto magazine or write professionally. When you do that you have to answer, at least to an extent, to the editor-in-chief and can't really be your own boss. Auto magazines and newspapers, like auto dealerships, are a buisness that exists to make sales and money.
However, on the other hand, I don't get to keep a car for a week like the average auto journalist does or get to test them at their limits. Most of the cars I drive are brand new and have to be driven with a little bit of caution...usually no more than 4000 RPM and no real hard stops.
Nevertheless, after many years of driving I can tell a lot about a car usually just from one test-drive.
Here on CL, not just me but 1SICKLEX, Magneto, Incendiary, Jet864, Bitkahuna, Rominl, RON430, Flipside, and all the other CL members who regularly talk cars are free to pretty much post and say what we really think as long as we all obey Dave and the moderators' CL posting rules and don't get into shouting matches....we're not in the buisness of selling ourselves.