Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EBAY Auctions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06, 07:04 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default EBAY Auctions?

I just checked ebay for some Supras and found one with a buy it now price of $7400.00.. I emailed the guy and asked why the price was so low etc... He emails me back saying he's in England etc.. and his wifes cousin died.. She needs to sell the car. The transaction would go through ebay and ship the car via DAS(a shipping company on ebay)..

I've posted this before so i brought it up again because I'm finding these ads on autotrader down in miami etc... Same thing... Real cheap supra but guy says he's over seas and has to sell due to financial issues... I'm just getting sick of this because because potential lookers and buyers get the wrong impression with these advertisements..

I'm sure they wouldn' auction off a scam on ebay.... If you bring a car from overseas don't you have to pay certain fees so the price could actually be alot more....

Anyone else run into these auctions?

Tony
Old 01-16-06, 07:07 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S-h-a-d-y!
Old 01-16-06, 07:17 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
S-h-a-d-y!
I agree....
Old 01-16-06, 07:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

I'm sure they wouldn' auction off a scam on ebay
That's my entertainment for the night.
Old 01-16-06, 07:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had fun with some idiot who tried this. He told me the car was in England and that it would be shipped over. I told him there was no need to ship as my brother lived in England and could just come pick it up! He didn't like that and started trying to make up reasons why it had to be shipped and couldn't be picked up. Some people are

Jonny
Old 01-16-06, 08:31 PM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont do it.....Too risky. I have seen many of these scams on ebay.
Old 01-16-06, 08:45 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkracing
Dont do it.....Too risky. I have seen many of these scams on ebay.

Not that it is too risky. It is 100% risky Scams on ebay are a dime a dozen. Don't be surprised if you post up your car for sale on autotrader only to have it show up on ebay for sale by an overseas Nigerian person even if the car is still sitting in your garage I know members on NSX Prime that had pictures as well as exact VIN numbers of their cars for sale on ebay by fraudulant sellers. At most ebay just shuts the auction down, but 99% of the sellers will never get caught and just open up antother auction.
Old 01-16-06, 09:34 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

These scams keep popping up on Ebay. With tens of thousands of listings worldwide every day, it's difficult for them to investigate them all. Before you purchase ANYTHING on Ebay, do your due dilligence - look at the feedback - HARD. Do these look like legitimate deals, or shills put up by the lister or his friends? Use your e-mail to speak directly to the seller before bidding. Try arranging another delivery method - use an escrow service of your own choosing (not theirs) - see if you can work outside the lister's little den of thieves.

As the folks who run Ebay say, you have to investigate these deals yourself before spending money. Look at the seller's track record, ask yourself WHY is he selling in the US - and paying delivery as part of the deal. Does the deal look like it's being hurried? Don't be rushed. Report any concerns to Ebay, including any private correspondence. They are anxious to protect their business and can be of great help BEFORE the sale.

Finally, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 01-16-06, 09:49 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The other thing you have to watch out for is phishing. I almost learned this the hard way. Ebayers have been getting e-mails from people posing as ebay telling them that there has been unauthorized activity on their account, an investigation has been opened, etc., etc. In order to view the status of the investigation, you have to log in with your user name and password. When you do so, you get an invalid user name and password error. You try it again, and get the same thing. By now the phisherman has your info, and can loot the bank account tied to your PayPal account assuming your user name and password are the same for your PayPal account. MORE IMPORTANTLY, however, the phisherman (or woman) can now set up an auction using your user name and feedback rating. So, even if the feedback looks legit, it could be an imposter hiding behind the screen name. Scary.
Old 01-16-06, 10:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by e-man
The other thing you have to watch out for is phishing. I almost learned this the hard way. Ebayers have been getting e-mails from people posing as ebay telling them that there has been unauthorized activity on their account, an investigation has been opened, etc., etc. In order to view the status of the investigation, you have to log in with your user name and password. When you do so, you get an invalid user name and password error. You try it again, and get the same thing. By now the phisherman has your info, and can loot the bank account tied to your PayPal account assuming your user name and password are the same for your PayPal account. MORE IMPORTANTLY, however, the phisherman (or woman) can now set up an auction using your user name and feedback rating. So, even if the feedback looks legit, it could be an imposter hiding behind the screen name. Scary.
Yea thats pretty scary e-man..You would think that ebay would be on top of things more aggressively.... I've gotten one of those before and reported to ebay... telling me that my account needed to be updated.. I don't think so......

TOny
Old 01-16-06, 10:14 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Yea thats pretty scary e-man..You would think that ebay would be on top of things more aggressively.... I've gotten one of those before and reported to ebay... telling me that my account needed to be updated.. I don't think so......

TOny
Hey Tony. The scary part about it is that I FELL FOR IT, hook, line and sinker. Now, in my defense, this was over a years ago when this scam just started gaining popularity. So, after I tried to log in a few times and it didn't allow me to, I exited out of the e-mail, opened up a new window, went to ebay, and logged in with no problem. I was about to shut down my computer and go to sleep when I went back to the original e-mail and decided to take a closer look at it. Right away I noticed a misspelled word. That's when I went into panic mode, particularly when it occurred to me that my PayPal account was tied to my primary checking account, which, at the time had about $25k in it (I know -- you're thinking e-man is a total dumba$$, and you're right). Had the phisherman been watching, he or she could have immediately sent themselves a PayPal payment of several thousand dollars. So here I am at midnight calling and canceling my credit cards, trying to get ahold of the bank, etc. My wife is b*tching at me, and I'm literally scrambling. The next day, I froze our current checking account, and opened two new ones -- a new primary checking account and a separate bank account strictly for ebay (which I should have done in the first place). Anyway, obviously it could have been a lot worse.

About 6 months later, a close friend of mine bought NCAA tickets from a phisherman. He was diligent, checked feedback, etc. He lost about $500. The auction told him to contact the seller via an e-mail address (as opposed to the "contact seller" feature within the auction) because the seller claimed to rarely check that e-mail address. That should have tipped him off right away.