Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda unveils the new entry-level Fit.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Honda unveils the new entry-level Fit.

For those of you ( including me ) who did not see the new Honda Fit unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show, here is some pictures and info on it. As the Civic line in general has moved upscale, this car will replace, in the U.S. market, what formerly were entry-level Civic CX's and DX hatchbacks, although this car, unlike them will sit a little taller and have 4 doors. This also separates it a little from the arch-rival-to-be Toyota Yaris, which will be either a 4-door sedan or 2-door hatchback. Technically it will also compete with the Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, and maybe a few of the new Chinese cars coming next year, but its projected $13,000 base price will overcut them .
This may be a good first-time car to consider for a college student. I look forward to seeing this car and plan to review it when it is available.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/08/d...nches-the-fit/

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/index.aspx#
Old 01-17-06, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Thanks mmarshall! I think it looks WORLDS better than Yaris.
Old 01-17-06, 07:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

You think this is a good looking car ?

I don't care for this one nor the Yaris . . .
Old 01-17-06, 07:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Being in Mexico, we already have the Yaris and the Fit. I have driven both and the Fit does handle slightly better. I still would not buy either.
Old 01-17-06, 09:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC

The interior, IMO is worlds above a Yaris. I am not a fan of center-mount gauges and probably never will be.

Outside, the 4-door Yaris sedan looks OK...the 2-door hatchback is a little wierd.

One thing I don't like on either the Fit or Yaris is the triangular sweep-back headlights. I prefer conventional round or rectangular ones.
Old 01-17-06, 10:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC

I didn't say it's good looking, I just said it was worlds above Yaris. Kinda like saying Kirstie Alley is worlds better looking than Martha Stewart.
Old 01-17-06, 10:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

lol... most know my opinion, but Yaris (hatch) looks soooo good. We started getting them and selling them this month, people love them.

Now, back on topic. Fit is good looking, grown up car. However, its proportions are a bit off and overall, up close it looks a bit weird. They sell them nicely here is Europe, now when they introduced versions with a lot less equipment and smaller engine. They still sell about 4x less than Yaris.

In reality, Fit is a lot like Scion xA, and different than Accent or Rio...
Old 01-17-06, 10:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks much better than the Avho(Aveo) lol. Not a bad run around the city type of car at all.
Old 01-17-06, 12:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cherplex
Looks much better than the Avho(Aveo) lol. Not a bad run around the city type of car at all.
Well, if you can call an Aveo a car, then this should be an Acura Fit, not Honda. Build quality, materials used and engineering makes Aveo look like 90's korean car, which it is.
Old 01-17-06, 12:52 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this car is 10X uglier than the Yaris...the yaris at least looks modern
Old 01-17-06, 01:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Forget about the Yaris. The Yaris is an economy car: value before styling.

I think the Fit is trying to aim at Scion xA, not the Toyota Yaris. There is definately an emphasis on design with the fit that will challenge the xA.
Old 01-17-06, 04:11 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I like it very much. It looks good, especially with big rims and underbody aero kits.
Old 01-17-06, 04:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Forget about the Yaris. The Yaris is an economy car: value before styling.

I think the Fit is trying to aim at Scion xA, not the Toyota Yaris. There is definately an emphasis on design with the fit that will challenge the xA.
lol, sorry but you really do not know what you are talking about. Fit is an global Yaris competitor. xA is based off old Yaris, and is now surpassed by new one in every single thing.

To say that xA is more of an car than Yaris, in engineering terms is not correct. New Yaris is an technically better car than xA. And actually, Yaris Hatch, designed in ED2 center in Europe, places significantly more emphasis on design than Fit. Fit's design more ephasizes utility and fuction, over design. Once you see them in person, you will see what I mean.

Of course, xA is about the same type of car as Fit or as Yaris hatch (especially 5 door which you dont get).
Old 01-17-06, 04:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
To say that xA is more of an car than Yaris, in engineering terms is not correct..
I never said anything about the xA being more than a Yaris; I know the xA is pretty much the same car in engineering terms. I just said the xA has a style advantage (and pop culture hype) compared to the Yaris.

I think styling is the key factor. Toyota made a huge mistake thinking the Echo would sell because of its price, and it didn't. No one wants to buy a clown car. Toyota fixed this problem by creating the Scion brand, which introduced "style" with "value." Now everyone is jumping the "economy car with style" bandwagon: Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Chevy Aveo, etc.
Old 01-17-06, 05:27 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The interior, IMO is worlds above a Yaris. I am not a fan of center-mount gauges and probably never will be.

Outside, the 4-door Yaris sedan looks OK...the 2-door hatchback is a little wierd.

One thing I don't like on either the Fit or Yaris is the triangular sweep-back headlights. I prefer conventional round or rectangular ones.
Same here!

I hate the center mounted gauges. If they did not have them I think more people wold consider them for a car not a toy. I think the FIT is better.

Quick Reply: Honda unveils the new entry-level Fit.