Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Ford Shelby GT500 - Most powerful Mustang ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 07:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 - Most powerful Mustang ever

Performance Inspiration: Carroll Shelby and Ford Special Vehicle Team join forces to create a modern successor to the famous Shelby GT500 of the late 1960s

Performance Hardware: 475-horsepower supercharged V-8, 6-speed manual transmission, race-tuned suspension, four-piston Brembo brakes

Performance Design: Mustang heritage with aggressive muscular front-end design, Le Mans racing stripes, unmistakable "Cobra" logo and Shelby nameplate

. . . continue HERE
Old 01-17-06, 07:55 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw one of those at Barrett-Jackson this past weekend.......very bad azz
Old 01-17-06, 08:21 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AmethySC

Performance Inspiration: Carroll Shelby and Ford Special Vehicle Team join forces to create a modern successor to the famous Shelby GT500 of the late 1960s

Performance Hardware: 475-horsepower supercharged V-8, 6-speed manual transmission, race-tuned suspension, four-piston Brembo brakes

Performance Design: Mustang heritage with aggressive muscular front-end design, Le Mans racing stripes, unmistakable "Cobra" logo and Shelby nameplate

. . . continue HERE
YAWN, "The GT500 retains the Mustang’s suspension setup. In the front, there are coil-over MacPherson struts with reverse "L" lower control arms made of lightweight I-section steel. In the rear, there’s a three-link live axle with coil springs, Panhard rod, outboard shocks and stabilizer bar."

Get some real suspension!
Old 01-17-06, 08:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well the cobra still looks good.. If i had the money falling from the tree i would consider but your right the suspension is about the same as the GT model... Sure theres a bigger engine but the doors will fall apart before the engine does... Don't ge tme wrong I've had 2 mustangs but I really don't think I'll get another one after going to a lexus...

TOny
Old 01-17-06, 09:11 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

no more Fords for me after owning a 97 Expedition for a few years. Talk about a service nightmare.
Old 01-17-06, 09:13 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like this, but I still have one question for Ford. Why do they still find the need to Supercharge every performance engine they build? I just don't see the benefit. Plus, I can apprectaite the heritage of the GT500 more if it were N/A. Thoughts?
Old 01-17-06, 09:37 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I really like this, but I still have one question for Ford. Why do they still find the need to Supercharge every performance engine they build? I just don't see the benefit. Plus, I can apprectaite the heritage of the GT500 more if it were N/A. Thoughts?
2 reasons that i can see right offhand:

Weight, supercharged 4.6L is still lighter than a N/A 5.4L.

Power: To get the required power without designing an entire new engine, ford would have to drop in a tuned version of the 5.4L (i want to see them supercharge THAT and drop it in there...Z06 Killer!)

IIRC, there was a generation of Cobra that was N/A...i think it was the 1994...5.4L N/A v8.
Old 01-17-06, 10:15 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I totally agree with this. I see no reason that Ford couldn't squeeze the horsepower out of the V8 in the GT. I also don't get why it's $150,000 when the ZO6 gives it quite a bit to worry about for half the price.
Old 01-17-06, 10:19 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I totally agree with this. I see no reason that Ford couldn't squeeze the horsepower out of the V8 in the GT. I also don't get why it's $150,000 when the ZO6 gives it quite a bit to worry about for half the price.

$150,000 for that!!!??? I missed that on the site! That's just insane!!

Hmmmmm, I have $150,000 to blow on a car and I want it to be a Ford. Should I buy a souped up Mustang (that I could build myself for about $50,000) or spend THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT and buy an actual exotic, the Ford GT? No brainer here! If $150,000 ends up being the actual price point of the GT500, I don't expect to see many sales,
Old 01-17-06, 10:25 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

$150,000 for that!!!??? I missed that on the site! That's just insane!!

Hmmmmm, I have $150,000 to blow on a car and I want it to be a Ford. Should I buy a souped up Mustang (that I could build myself for about $50,000) or spend THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT and buy an actual exotic, the Ford GT? No brainer here! If $150,000 ends up being the actual price point of the GT500, I don't expect to see many sales,
Err the Ford GT is $150,000. That GT500's probably going to be $50kish? Just a guess

I stated that I didn't get why the GT cost $150,000 when you have a lot of other exotics out there for around the same price, and they aren't a Ford.
Old 01-17-06, 10:32 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Err the Ford GT is $150,000. That GT500's probably going to be $50kish? Just a guess

I stated that I didn't get why the GT cost $150,000 when you have a lot of other exotics out there for around the same price, and they aren't a Ford.

Sorry. Just re-read your post and I realized that I misread it the first time!

$50k-ish is acceptable.
Old 01-17-06, 10:41 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Sorry. Just re-read your post and I realized that I misread it the first time!

$50k-ish is acceptable.

Haha, it's cool

Now what I'm curious is to see what GM does with the Camaro. Hmm... a modern-day Yenko, anybody?
Old 01-17-06, 10:56 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Haha, it's cool

Now what I'm curious is to see what GM does with the Camaro. Hmm... a modern-day Yenko, anybody?

That would be heaven on earth!!!

I'll try to one-up you.

Bring back the days when you could order any configuration you wanted.

Modern Day COPO!!!???
Old 01-17-06, 12:15 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

That would be heaven on earth!!!

I'll try to one-up you.

Bring back the days when you could order any configuration you wanted.

Modern Day COPO!!!???
**EDIT** COPO's, Yenko's and Baldwin Motion's

Last edited by King7Two; 01-17-06 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 12:20 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by King7Two
I dont think COPO's were ever available to the public. It was a "Central Office Production Order"
thats why so Few actually exist. I may be wrong on that though.

Yenko's and Baldwin Motion's on the otherhand........

From what I've read about them ( I was born in 1970 so I definately wasn't able to go into a dealership in '69 ) was that if you knew what codes to put down on the order form you could get it.

But it was a bizarre procedure. You had to order a bunch of crap, then delete certain items and you ended up with the COPO. I'll have to find the 1st gen site I read up on.

Quick Reply: 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 - Most powerful Mustang ever