Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Toyota Tundra – first pictures (pg 4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 10:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks rather large. I can barely make out the grill in those pics(camo, angle etc), but it looks(the grill, not the body shape) very much like the Tundra concept that was shown a few years back.

I think its safe to say that the Domestics are improving on there trucks(reliablity wise). There are a few Fords and Chevy trucks running around with over 200K miles that are still going strong. I mean, they had this segment on lock for how many years now?? Now that the new Tundra is around the corner, I would definitely wait and see how it competes with the Domestics. But as of right now, the F150 would be the way to go. Thats just an awsome truck.

Last edited by magneto112; 01-20-06 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-20-06, 07:18 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see how that looks like the concept FTX...personally if it looked like the FTX - toyota would kick Fords *** and steal truck sales in a heart beat.

FTX pic for those who dont rememeber...
Attached Thumbnails -ftx1.jpg  
Old 01-20-06, 07:20 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails -ftx3.jpg  
Old 01-20-06, 07:22 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails -ftx2.jpg  
Old 01-20-06, 07:40 AM
agent 409
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
its the grille and headlights its seems like from the pics. the point of the FTX concept was to show toyotas design direction for the tundra..concepts are always very far fetched to catch alot of attention..toyota is very conservative anyways..plus..sooo many people on tundrasolutions.com thought that truck was butt ugly..
Old 01-20-06, 08:08 AM
s-one
Driver School Candidate

Cosign GS3rdwow. XL!!

personally if it looked like the FTX - toyota would kick Fords *** and steal truck sales in a heart beat.

Old 01-20-06, 08:31 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealist
...Why not get a domestic full size truck that is dependable, reliable, and will last you 500k miles or more without any major problems? Badging is more important to you?
Domestic trucks are not dependable compared to the Tundra.. Period. Over 120k miles on my Tundra and only one issue ever which was an O2 sensor. Everyone here I am sure knows someone with a Ford, GM, or Dodge which has had problems, both multiple minor and major. I know I certainly have and do not have the space to type it all. So yes badging it important because in this case it stands for much higher dependability, quality, nicer interior, and more innovation vs. the boring standard three brands. To each their own, there are those that do not care about HP, quality, reliability,etc... and only buy a brand because their great grandfather had one,etc.... Good for them. Allows Tundra and Titan owners to build their self esteem even further when they drive buy. j/k

Serisouly as GM, Ford, Dodge have been building full sizes for a long time once would think that they could get it right by now. The F150 is absolutely boring and lacking inside and flat out slow, the Silverado and RAM have serious reliability issues. They are better than before and even won a few awards that the Tundra or Titan do not compete in such as HD Full Size, but how many years do they need to get things right? I would rather not waste my money on a company that I would have to hang a rabbits foot on the mirror for luck or deal with the usual luck of the draw service dept.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-20-06 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-20-06, 08:41 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont see how that looks like the concept FTX...personally if it looked like the FTX - toyota would kick Fords *** and steal truck sales in a heart beat.

I was talking about the grill and headlights, not the entire body. In the first pic you can make out the shape of the grill and the headlights which is similar to the concepts.
Old 01-20-06, 08:47 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Oooooo Man !!! Now that's just SEX.
Old 01-20-06, 03:17 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by magneto112
Looks rather large. I can barely make out the grill in those pics(camo, angle etc), but it looks(the grill, not the body shape) very much like the Tundra concept that was shown a few years back.

I think its safe to say that the Domestics are improving on there trucks(reliablity wise). There are a few Fords and Chevy trucks running around with over 200K miles that are still going strong. I mean, they had this segment on lock for how many years now?? Now that the new Tundra is around the corner, I would definitely wait and see how it competes with the Domestics. But as of right now, the F150 would be the way to go. Thats just an awsome truck.

This domestic vs. import debate has been going on for ages and i dont ever seeing it change. There are people that live by domestics and others that would never buy one. Most of the people that own domestics that i know dont plan on keeping their car or truck for very long or dont care how much they get for it if they decide to sell. They usually see their car as "old" when it reaches 100k while when you buy a honda, toyota or nissan that is just the beginning in most cases.

I personally would never buy a domestic, the only good thing about them is if you want a big v8 that makes a lot of hp this is only if you dont mind things braking down. Sure there are a few chevys and fords that are running around with over 200k, but how many compared to the numbers that they have sold and how many major or minor problems have they had. I wouldnt
want to spend my time at the dealer getting my car fixed for all the little things that come up.

But again everyone has their own opinions and this is mine.
Old 01-20-06, 04:07 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, to each his own. Some people are content and personally want to buy an American truck or car and they know it will only last 50K - 100K miles and they don't mind the major problems that come with these American cars or trucks otherwise they wouldn't be buying them.

I personally want a truck or car that can easily go 500K miles or more without any major problems. I don't have the time to waste to keep going back to the dealership for major repairs. I want my car or truck to start on time every time all the time.
Old 01-20-06, 04:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Yes, to each his own. Some people are content and personally want to buy an American truck or car and they know it will only last 50K - 100K miles and they don't mind the major problems that come with these American cars or trucks otherwise they wouldn't be buying them.

I personally want a truck or car that can easily go 500K miles or more without any major problems. I don't have the time to waste to keep going back to the dealership for major repairs. I want my car or truck to start on time every time all the time.
These american trucks, especially GM and ford easily last for 300,000 miles without much maintenance, while being majorly abused. Most of these trucks are purchased by businesses for deliveries, construction, etc - and they run constantly under heavy loads, being driven by employees who generally don't give a crap about maintaining them and they still manage to last forever.

On top of that the maintenance on them is very cheap, most repair shops are familiar with their components, and these trucks are not expensive.
Old 01-20-06, 04:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Domestic trucks are not dependable compared to the Tundra.. Period. Over 120k miles on my Tundra and only one issue ever which was an O2 sensor. Everyone here I am sure knows someone with a Ford, GM, or Dodge which has had problems, both multiple minor and major. I know I certainly have and do not have the space to type it all. So yes badging it important because in this case it stands for much higher dependability, quality, nicer interior, and more innovation vs. the boring standard three brands. To each their own, there are those that do not care about HP, quality, reliability,etc... and only buy a brand because their great grandfather had one,etc.... Good for them. Allows Tundra and Titan owners to build their self esteem even further when they drive buy. j/k

Serisouly as GM, Ford, Dodge have been building full sizes for a long time once would think that they could get it right by now. The F150 is absolutely boring and lacking inside and flat out slow, the Silverado and RAM have serious reliability issues. They are better than before and even won a few awards that the Tundra or Titan do not compete in such as HD Full Size, but how many years do they need to get things right? I would rather not waste my money on a company that I would have to hang a rabbits foot on the mirror for luck or deal with the usual luck of the draw service dept.

I manage a contruction company, and we have a crapload of domestic trucks - barely ever have any problems. As fas as "character" goes - who the hell cares, they are just work vehicles.
Old 01-20-06, 05:29 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealist
Why wait? F-150?

The domestics came up with that idea a long time ago.

I wonder what took them so long to think of trying that?

To be fair, the Japanese vehicles are the reason that Ford has improved their quality.
If it weren't for Toyota, Ford would undoubtedly still be using their awful Twin I-Beam front suspension in their full-size trucks... care to discuss the Pinto?

The F-150 is still the best selling vehicle in the country, so I'll give them some credit.

The new 'Yota looks pretty good- I like the chopped-top. I also noticed that the new Toyota has only 5 lug nuts, not 6 like the current truck. Weird.
Old 01-20-06, 05:34 PM
agent 409
Rookie

just found this on Tundra solutions...some guy posted it..

i'm stoked!!!
Attached Thumbnails -toyota_tundra_new.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Toyota Tundra – first pictures (pg 4)