Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Toyota Tundra – first pictures (pg 4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 05:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by agent 409
just found this on Tundra solutions...some guy posted it..

i'm stoked!!!
hehe interesting leaked photos.
Old 01-20-06, 06:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

i'm stoked!!!
wow, that looks badazz
Old 01-20-06, 07:11 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i'm stoked!!!
Damn, now that just screams ,"MOVE OVER"!

But.. we will let the sales figures speak for themselves on the import vs. domestic/Dodge argument. I am feeling a good year for Toyota.
I am sure(hope) they did something with the interior as the current Tundra is a bit short in that department compared to the Chevy which has a decent interior IMO.
Lee
Old 01-20-06, 09:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Domestic trucks are not dependable compared to the Tundra.
Don't know what you base that on Lee to be honest, plus the current Tundra just can't play where the full size trucks do.

Everyone here I am sure knows someone with a Ford, GM, or Dodge which has had problems, both multiple minor and major.
Nope - I know loads of people with domestic trucks around here (including me, a 2004 F-150) and none I know of have problems. I complained about some occasional driveline shudder on ours when towing and they replaced the whole rear diff no questions asked and it's been wonderful ever since.

The F150 is absolutely boring and lacking inside and flat out slow
I certainly don't find it boring, lacking inside, or slow! Plus good luck towing 9300 pounds with your Tundra. The Titan can play but somehow it still looks cheap.

This new Tundra will definitely be better in specs, but I doubt Ford is worried!
Old 01-20-06, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I am sure(hope) they did something with the interior as the current Tundra is a bit short in that department compared to the Chevy which has a decent interior IMO.
Lee
Wow Lee - a concession! My neighbor has a Chevy Avalanche and I have to say I'm impressed. The convertible bed is really clever and useful and that truck has TONS of standard features (factory XM radio was nice) and I like the way the huge number of controls on the steering wheel light up at night. It still has a bit of the old Tahoe interior look which I don't care for though.

I expect this new Tundra will blow away the current Tundra in every way, just as the latest F-150 blew away the previous one.
Old 01-20-06, 10:27 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Not a concession Bit, just based on my opinion as that issue is really subjective. Interesting statement with no problems on yours or other full sizes as on this end of the country the experience could not be further apart. Flooded interiors on a new 40k Silverado, bad paint on a new Silverado that pealed, differential knock on new F-150, trim piece falling off on several new Fords as well. Perhaps the weather out there is kinder to Domestics and Dodges. Wish you the best of luck on yours as luck was never with me on my domestics. None of them. Not saying I would never buy a Domestic or Chrysler product, just that I would be cautious. This is with well over 30-40 vehicles of all makes and models under my belt as well as 20 year in the automotive industry dealing with repair shops, dealers, manufacturers, etc... I did not always feel this way as there was a time I was a flag waving buy Domestic stubborn kid until I got tired of the tow truck and having my towing service canceled on me for excessive tows.

As you brought up the Avalanche I came close to buying one years back (I was the one of the few that liked the look)until a friend had his burn to the ground from something in the engine compartment. Hmmm, my Vette almost did the same thing. But then so did an Audi Turbo of mine. Anyhow he bought a Tahoe. Should I go into how many times it has now been to the dealer?
Fords are nice for the money as you can get them for a song with all of the incentives, but I would rather drive something I can trust. Just me. Others I am sure feel differently. I know the new F-150 won a few awards and rate up there with a few studies, but that does not erase years of bad experience and building death traps that the prior F-150 was (proven everywhere).

It's not that I love my Tundra, I am even a truck person. Hell I drive the truck once a month nowadays as I slave away in the damn Ford Fusion forced on me for work which incidentally has been to Ford twice now and needs to go again. I only bought it for those Home Depot trips as anyone with a home should have a truck. But it is nice to know that when I do go out, no Hemi, SS, or F-150 short of a Lightning will touch me from the light.

Now when I go truck shopping in several years again, who knows, like I said Ford trucks are just flat out almost free and since I never drive a truck far anyhow, one nevers knows what will be in my garage as like I said I am not mucha truck person.

I guess this is where I apologize for prolonging the wrong direction in which this thread went. This is Tundra thread and not a Tudnra vs. the world thread which should go in the Debate forum so enough from me on this subject.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-20-06 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 09:38 AM
LexFather

That finally doesn't look BLAND!!!

Old 01-21-06, 10:13 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Nice! It looks beefy
Old 01-21-06, 10:15 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealist
...Why not get a domestic full size truck that is dependable, reliable, and will last you 500k miles or more without any major problems? Badging is more important to you?
If you say so.

My friends 2001 F150 has 90k on the clock. Minor issues til now its loosing oil somewhere. No leaks, its just burning oil like crazy. 3-4 quarts every 6k. He has always used Mobil 1. I gave him some Amsoil he is trying it to see if it makes a difference. But he is getting ready to tear the engine apart to fix the problem. Wow a engine rebuild already. 5.4L he has.
Old 01-21-06, 10:45 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails -toyota_tundra_new.jpg  
Old 01-21-06, 10:47 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

anyone see similarties. i see a few
Attached Thumbnails -ftx1.jpg  
Old 01-21-06, 11:17 AM
LexFather

Good job, yeah, I see it!

Old 01-21-06, 01:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but I doubt Ford is worried!
i am sure they are worried, especially about their f-150 sales. They dropped 40,000 units last year, which is at least 800 million in revenue. They are worried about fuel prices, new competition, everything. Toyota sold 300,000 trucks last year, still 700,000 less than Ford, but they are getting there. Any sale Ford looses is bad for them, thats bad thing about being king of the hill and it is same kind of uphill battle Toyota is facing exactly the same thing with their best selling vehicles.

There is no way F150 can lose its title anytime within the decade, but losing sales is an big problem for Ford.
Old 01-21-06, 06:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am sure they are worried, especially about their f-150 sales. They dropped 40,000 units last year, which is at least 800 million in revenue. They are worried about fuel prices, new competition, everything. Toyota sold 300,000 trucks last year, still 700,000 less than Ford, but they are getting there. Any sale Ford looses is bad for them, thats bad thing about being king of the hill and it is same kind of uphill battle Toyota is facing exactly the same thing with their best selling vehicles.

There is no way F150 can lose its title anytime within the decade, but losing sales is an big problem for Ford.
Agreed, but The F-150 will no doubt get some upgrades in the next year or two which will help.

Anyway back on Tundra - I'm definitely looking forward to real specs. Should be great!

Who knows, maybe I'll buy one now that I live in the boonies.
Old 01-23-06, 10:34 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealist
...Why not get a domestic full size truck that is dependable, reliable, and will last you 500k miles or more without any major problems? Badging is more important to you?
Resale value, reliability (sorry but the Ford isnt as reliable as the Tundra ) The Tundra will also make more horsepower and torque; most likely get better gas mileage, and have lower emissions.

Don't be a Troll.... or your stay here will be quite short.

Quick Reply: New Toyota Tundra – first pictures (pg 4)