Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dont know who to ask? I just sold my celica

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 12:50 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dont know who to ask? I just sold my celica

So I just sold my celica on ebay, it fetched 11.6k not too high not too low. Anyways I am not sure what I need to do next. I assume they are going through a bank to get a loan to purchase the car. They said they are coming out of state to pick up the car this weekend or some time next week. Before I give her the deed to the car what should I do. I assume it would be benificial to wait to sell the car until during the week so I could go to the bank with her to verify the check is good and deposit it, then sign over the title? Do I need to get a temp tag for her? Do I need to go to the license tag place with her to sign it over. I have never sold a car before and I am hoping one of you guys might give me some insight.
Old 01-19-06, 12:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
So I just sold my celica on ebay, it fetched 11.6k not too high not too low. Anyways I am not sure what I need to do next. I assume they are going through a bank to get a loan to purchase the car. They said they are coming out of state to pick up the car this weekend or some time next week. Before I give her the deed to the car what should I do. I assume it would be benificial to wait to sell the car until during the week so I could go to the bank with her to verify the check is good and deposit it, then sign over the title? Do I need to get a temp tag for her? Do I need to go to the license tag place with her to sign it over. I have never sold a car before and I am hoping one of you guys might give me some insight.
Some states will require that you smog the vehicle. Since it is an out of state transaction ,it may have to be smogged anyhow in the purchasers state.
Also for funding, accept cash or a cashiers check only. I never accept personal checks or bank checks. A cashiers check is guaranteed by the issuing bank and cannot be stopped. A bank check is just a check and can have a stop payment hold on it if the new owner wants to after he/she picks it up.
Old 01-19-06, 01:19 PM
imbuggin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not exactly

FYI a cashiers check can have the payment stopped for a good reason you are incorrect to assume that it is guarenteed. I sit on the board of a bank and can tell you first hand I have had to do it. So a bank check or cashiers check is basically the same.
Old 01-19-06, 01:25 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so I guess go to the bank with them and ask for cash ?