Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help,,, leased 06 tundra and dealer wants to revise contract

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 08:32 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help,,, leased 06 tundra and dealer wants to revise contract

about three weeks ago,,, we leased an 06 tundra double cab.... we got a spanking deal,,, 2000 down,,, 210 a month which already includes tax,, 3 years,,12k miles... interest was pretty much zero percent... the problem is that the dealer is trying to get us to come in to do a whole new contract... credit is not the problem,, the problem is that they said the bank wont agree on the terms cause its too cheap,,,,, well if that is the cause,,, i dont see how,,, or why the dealer agreed on this lease deal in the first place,,,,,, question is,,,can they take the truck back,,,,,, or should we just ignore this,,,,, i see it as a written signed contract..... i know there is one spot that says they can take it back,,,,, but i recall its only if the credit wasnt good enough,,,, or we lied about something,, like income......... what do u guys think
Old 01-20-06, 08:47 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have no obligation to revise the contract. I negotiated a lease for my mom a few years back and also got her a killer deal. Behind my back the salesperson called her and said he needed her to come back in and do the same as your sales person, essentially, come back in and sign a new lease with different payment terms (higher).

I called him directly and basically let him know that there is no way we were obligated to do that. If he made a mistake or whatever, that was his problem, not ours.

Do you think the dealer would send you a rebate check because you overpaid for a car?? Not on your life?

I would call them back and tell them "Tough Rocks"

My .02

Doug
Old 01-20-06, 09:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They cannot take the truck back: that's what the contract is for.

Simply put, you and the dealer agreed to the price, not the bank. If there is problems between the dealer and bank, they should discuss it, not you.
Old 01-20-06, 10:02 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
They cannot take the truck back: that's what the contract is for.

Simply put, you and the dealer agreed to the price, not the bank. If there is problems between the dealer and bank, they should discuss it, not you.
thats good advice, not really your problem unless you go there for service
Old 01-20-06, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with the previous posters.....you have no legal obligation to take it back once the lease contract is signed. However, keep one thing in mind.......if you do keep the Tundra at the rates you have now and don't take it back, that dealership, in the future, may not exactly bend over backwards to give you any more good deals....and they may be very strict on the mileage and the wear-and-tear clause. That is the chance you will take by keeping the good deal you have now.
Old 01-20-06, 10:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Let the dealer eat it. They screwed up an signed it, they have to deal with it. Just ignore them.

A few dealers down here in Mexico have even resorted to that tactic with at least people I know and tried all sorts of scare tactics after these people also rejected to come back.

Let the seller beware is just as important as buyer beware.
Old 01-20-06, 02:25 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

thanks,,,,,,,, i will defintely ignore them....
Old 01-20-06, 02:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

BMW pulled the same nonsense on me on a 7 series lease. They called me up a couple of weeks after I picked up the car and signed all the papers and told me they made a "mistake" in the residual. The bad news was that the payments would go up by around $200 a month but the good news, according to their criminal minds, was that I could buy the car for less at the end of the lease. My response was that a deal is a deal, period. I had signed papers and if they made a mistake, that was their tough problem. Never heard from them again.

Most dealers can run a credit check on you while you are waiting for a candy bar to come out of a vending machine. They don't make mistakes. I am not saying they are against getting a sweeter deal after the fact but once a contracts terms are agreed to and entered into by both sides in writing, both sides are stuck. Give the dealer about as much consideration as they do when somebody comes back and says they want out of their lease early. A deal is a deal. Enjoy the new vehicle and don't worry about these shenanigans.
Old 01-20-06, 02:44 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RON430
BMW pulled the same nonsense on me on a 7 series lease. They called me up a couple of weeks after I picked up the car and signed all the papers and told me they made a "mistake" in the residual. The bad news was that the payments would go up by around $200 a month but the good news, according to their criminal minds, was that I could buy the car for less at the end of the lease. My response was that a deal is a deal, period. I had signed papers and if they made a mistake, that was their tough problem. Never heard from them again.

Most dealers can run a credit check on you while you are waiting for a candy bar to come out of a vending machine. They don't make mistakes. I am not saying they are against getting a sweeter deal after the fact but once a contracts terms are agreed to and entered into by both sides in writing, both sides are stuck. Give the dealer about as much consideration as they do when somebody comes back and says they want out of their lease early. A deal is a deal. Enjoy the new vehicle and don't worry about these shenanigans.
I agree with what you say except for the statement "Most dealers can run a credit check on you while you are waiting for a candy bar to come out of a vending machine". In reality, they will already have the credit check completed before you even decide on what candy bar to buy.
Old 01-20-06, 03:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with the previous posters.....you have no legal obligation to take it back once the lease contract is signed. However, keep one thing in mind.......if you do keep the Tundra at the rates you have now and don't take it back, that dealership, in the future, may not exactly bend over backwards to give you any more good deals....and they may be very strict on the mileage and the wear-and-tear clause. That is the chance you will take by keeping the good deal you have now.
that doesnt really matter since we have like 60+ toyota dealers in SoCal alone and their always scrambling over one-another.
Old 01-20-06, 05:26 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Default I would go back to dealer.

It's possible they are telling the truth. If the bank won't accept the lease and you won't resign, the deal is null and void, therefore you will have to return the truck. When leasing/buying a car, you are supposed to get pre approved before driving off. But with the big incentive to sell cars as fast as possible and at night, on weekends, and holidays the dealers will let cars go out based on good credit history they know will get approved. Ultimately it is the BANK and not the dealer that has final say-so.
It could be an honest mistake on their part. Give then the benefit of doubt. It's not always a rip off.

Here's what I would do:
Carefully compare side by side new contract to old contract. Make sure the drive off and payment match EXACTLY.
ONLY if you plan on buying at lease term make sure the residual matches. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
Finally, see if there is a lease term fee. Toyota Motor Credit is only one they would use that doesn't charge. If it's another bank, get the fee reimbursed right away, ask them to take it off the payment or get a service credit voucher in same amount. Of course, if it's the other way around, I'd sign without hesitation. Toyota's bank is the best to deal with imo.

If everything looks okay, it won't affect you at all. After all these items have matched up, ask for a free tank of gas for your trouble. Good luck.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 01-20-06 at 07:00 PM. Reason: note to self: ask Dave to add spell check on next CL upgrade
Old 01-20-06, 07:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

lol... if you paid too much by accident, you would be screaming all over the net, calling your layers, caling toyota and everyone else in your phonebook... buy if you pay less, then you wont return the calls :-). Its just about being honest. Small difference in price wont affect the dealer, but your salesman might get fired or might end up paying for it. But its his fault, right? Who cares about his wife and kids...
Old 01-20-06, 08:58 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope it works out for ya... all I can say is that dealers screw people left and right out of money. This time YOU "won"....congrats.
Old 01-20-06, 09:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Yeah I think a lease is technically with a bank (or other financial organization) and not the dealer which is really just a broker. You may not technically have a valid lease so I'm not sure you can ignore them. Might end up in court if you do.