Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 Honda Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-06, 06:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Right, so apart from the RL, TL, TSX, and NSX - Acura dumped the double wishbones.
Old 01-23-06, 05:31 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Civic's engine has some power, but only at the very top of the RPM band...in normal driving, that is one reason why Honda VTEC engines get such good gas mileage.
True, below about 3600 rpm, this is the little engine that just simply can't. While a high-rev launch will produce a world-class smoky burnout, it will eat the clutch in short order. The shifter is remarkably positive for a FWD vehicle, when combined with the solid handling characteristics of that dual wishbone suspension it tempts one to untoward feats of automotive heroism. One learns the true definition of power understeer on an FWD very quickly. Spinning wheel gather no traction or directional control, grasshopper . . .

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as that last comment is concerned, if you are looking for a Lexus product in the Civic's class........good luck. The closest thing to a Civic in an upscale brand is the Acura RSX coupe and TSX sedan..
No, I gave up on that some time ago - I briefly looked at an Integra (predecessor of the RSX/TSX) shortly after I bought the Civic - about the same size, considerably improved performance (with the 5-spd). The automatic in a co-worker's Integra had such a loose torque converter, I assume to let the engine get into the power band quickly, it was terribly noisy and VERY slow. Not my idea of a commuter, where quick reflexes pay off in the cut and thrust of traffic. I kept the Civic, thinking I would trade for an automatic, as stop-and-go traffic is no place for even a lightweight manual, unless you are really into one-leg step aerobics. About that time I left the job and started another company - where I officed at home. No more commuting!! I could finally enjoy the Civic in a more normal driving environment – not rush hour commutes.

Shortly after, I got rid of the last Suburban and the Civic to move up to my first RX - probably my best automotive decision since selling the Travelall (cough)rustbucket(cough). I’ve really had no reason to go back to a smaller platform since, although I've always enjoyed the quickness and sheer flingability of a lightweight car. Maybe at this point in life, when I'm making more of a contribution to the power/weight ratio than in my earlier years, I should abandon some of these fantasies . . .
Old 01-23-06, 07:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
One learns the true definition of power understeer on an FWD very quickly.
The new Civic Si has a front limited slip diff. which should help, plus Honda in recent years has done a lot to make torque steer less noticeable. I flung an Acura TL around a parking lot course and was VERY impressed by how little torque steer I noticed.

although I've always enjoyed the quickness and sheer flingability of a lightweight car.
'flingability' - love it.

Maybe at this point in life, when I'm making more of a contribution to the power/weight ratio than in my earlier years, I should abandon some of these fantasies . . .
LMAO. Many of us can relate! I think SUVs and CUVs are getting more and more popular because each member of the U.S. population is literally getting larger and older, enjoying the space and higher seating position. One thing I LOVED about the RX300 we had was that its seat was RIGHT at MY seat level and I could just slide in after opening the door. I once had a fantasy of getting a Corvette but after going through a contortionist routine getting in and out I said 'nut gunna happen'.
Old 01-23-06, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The new Civic Si has a front limited slip diff. which should help, plus Honda in recent years has done a lot to make torque steer less noticeable. I flung an Acura TL around a parking lot course and was VERY impressed by how little torque steer I noticed.

I once had a fantasy of getting a Corvette but after going through a contortionist routine getting in and out I said 'nut gunna happen'.

One of the reasons for this, of course, is the torque curve on Honda / Acura engines, which concentrates most of the torque in the upper-RPM range. Unless you are really wringing out the engine around the course, low torque, of course, combined with good engineering, means low torque steer.

You are correct that the Corvette is not primarily designed for aging backs and legs. Like you, I had to contort myself like a Snyder's pretzel getting in and out of the C6 I recently drove.....but boy, once you are strapped in, is it a fun car to drive ! While I, in general, am not a speed freak, ( and I didn't push the car to its limits ) still, that was one nice test-drive.
Old 01-23-06, 08:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What I like about Honda Engines, and the S2000 the most, followed by Integra R and GSR engines, and even the old SI engine, is that even they have no low end torque, they make awesome power on high RPM, and they have very high redline so they are easy too keep at high RPM. That combines with Honda's awesome manual trannies make for very fun cars.

The new RSX however is disappointing, to me at least. It's engine doesn't feel as snappy as the old b16/18's, and it's just that much more boring. Never the less, considering that a used RSX can be picked up fairly cheap, it makes for a nice entry luxury commuter. And with Honda's reliability, a 2-3 year old RSX is a much better buy than a brand new cobalt or whatever else you can get in the 12-14k range.