Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus VDIM gets Safety Innovation Award . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06 | 07:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Lexus VDIM gets Safety Innovation Award . . .

January 20, 2006

CAA presents 2006 Pyramid Awards to GM, Volkswagen and Lexus

Montreal, Quebec – The Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) has presented its CAA Pyramid Awards for Environmental Initiatives to General Motors of Canada and Volkswagen Canada, and its Safety Innovations to Lexus, during a special presentation at the Montreal International Auto Show.

GM received the award for the launch of its new ethanol-powered E85 Chevrolet Impala, which uses 85 per cent Canadian-made, cellulose-based ethanol; Volkswagen received its award in recognition of extending its warranty coverage on all TDI diesel engines to cover the use of B5 biodiesel fuel, allowing motorists to choose a blend containing five per cent biodiesel without voiding or affecting the vehicle's warranty.

Lexus received its award for its Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system on the 2006 Lexus GS 430 sedan. The stability control system anticipates situations by comparing driver commands to vehicle performance, hundreds of times per second, and then automatically makes subtle adjustments to steering and acceleration, enabling drivers to reach performance limits without losing control.

source : canadiandriver

Old 01-21-06 | 07:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
January 20, 2006

CAA presents 2006 Pyramid Awards to GM, Volkswagen and Lexus

Montreal, Quebec – The Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) has presented its CAA Pyramid Awards for Environmental Initiatives to General Motors of Canada and Volkswagen Canada, and its Safety Innovations to Lexus, during a special presentation at the Montreal International Auto Show.

GM received the award for the launch of its new ethanol-powered E85 Chevrolet Impala, which uses 85 per cent Canadian-made, cellulose-based ethanol; Volkswagen received its award in recognition of extending its warranty coverage on all TDI diesel engines to cover the use of B5 biodiesel fuel, allowing motorists to choose a blend containing five per cent biodiesel without voiding or affecting the vehicle's warranty.

Lexus received its award for its Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system on the 2006 Lexus GS 430 sedan. The stability control system anticipates situations by comparing driver commands to vehicle performance, hundreds of times per second, and then automatically makes subtle adjustments to steering and acceleration, enabling drivers to reach performance limits without losing control.

source : canadiandriver

Old 01-21-06 | 08:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Now, if only Lexus can get a Tech Award for making an "off" button for the VDIM...
Old 01-21-06 | 10:08 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Well deserved award.

BTW, here's the link to the article:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/060120-1.htm
Old 01-22-06 | 07:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Nice, VDIM finally gets some recognition. Lets hope this is the beginning of a long list of awards for VDIM.
Old 01-22-06 | 08:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Nioce!!!
Old 01-22-06 | 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

very nice indeed. i still think it's a bit on the sensitive side (the IS is an improvement). would love to see the new system on the new LS of course
Old 01-23-06 | 01:50 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Nice, VDIM finally gets some recognition. Lets hope this is the beginning of a long list of awards for VDIM.
Seriously doubt it. It's hardest bashed best idea I've ever heard of.
Old 01-23-06 | 08:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by TheRupp
It's hardest bashed best idea I've ever heard of.
VDIM does get bashed, but only by racing/driving enthusiasts. As for the rest of the population (which greatly outnumbers the enthusiasts probably 20 to 1), they praise and prefer having VDIM.
Old 01-23-06 | 08:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

They're only bashing the absence of an off switch, not necessarily VDIM itself . . .
Old 01-23-06 | 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by AmethySC
They're only bashing the absence of an off switch, not necessarily VDIM itself . . .
exactly. no one bash about the vsc on lexus coz' there is a switch for it, where actually 90% of the people they don't switch it off at all. i think the system itself is very good, and it's there to protect people. it's only enthusiasts who want to drive aggressively and the lack of on/off button that created the very little bash
Old 01-23-06 | 10:25 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Now, if only Lexus can get a Tech Award for making an "off" button for the VDIM...
There IS an off-switch. Its called "the cheat code"
Old 01-23-06 | 12:48 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default The Canadians need to drive in snow & ice....

and VDIM is the world's first advanced stability system that can deal with it. It also lets the enthusiast drive a rear wheel drive high performance car in sketchy traction conditions. Try an off camber turn in the snow sometime and then try it again with it turned off if you're feeling lucky.......Better wear your helmet too, Sonny B.

Rock
Old 01-23-06 | 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Bean
There IS an off-switch. Its called "the cheat code"
you mean the start sequence to disable it? i am still wonder if it's disabling the vdim myself. there is no official document saying that. and the same sequence on the avalon will disable the vsc and trac i believe? i thought the avlon doesn't have vdim right?
Old 01-23-06 | 01:18 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
you mean the start sequence to disable it? i am still wonder if it's disabling the vdim myself. there is no official document saying that. and the same sequence on the avalon will disable the vsc and trac i believe? i thought the avlon doesn't have vdim right?
Sorry I'm not specifically talking about you, rominl, but I think the argument of whether we should call the secret sequence a "VSC-off" or a "VDIM-off" is a silly and pointless one. The point is, with the code, a driver is allowed to perform just about any maneuver he or she wants without any intervention--there's no traction control, there's no stability control, there's no throttle cutoff, and there's no steering correction observed by anyone who's tried the code...there's simply NOTHING left besides perhaps the braking control system for VDIM to "seamlessly integrate" anymore, since that's what VDIM is all about. If there's nothing to "integrate", can the integration system function anymore? NO.

So can we end this "VDIM-off is not VSC-off" thing once and for all already? It's getting a bit tiring to see this brought up everytime the secret sequence is mentioned.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 01-23-06 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus VDIM gets Safety Innovation Award . . .