Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Get the American Made Acura TL or the Japanese made Lexus GS?
GS, yeah we are biased, this is a Lexus forum. The proof is in the pudding, GS is sensational
75.00%
TL, I like value, and I cannot comment anymore or the crying will start.
25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

your opinions what would u choose? TL or GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 07:44 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS without a doubt... and i'm not just saying that because we're on a Lexus board. If winter driving isn't a concern for you, the TL really is no match for the GS. I'm not rippin on the TL by any means, its a great car, but you're looking at the difference of a $35,000 car and a $50,000 car. V6 vs V8. Ones a near luxury car, ones a full blown luxury car. I'd say the exact same thing if you were looking at an ES vs GS. Anyway you look at it, the GS is going to beat the TL in most every aspect. Plus, i'm not the biggest fan of the auto tranny in the new TL, it seems kinda sluggish when shifting. Go for the GS430!
Old 01-25-06, 07:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The TL is a good car, and with all the options and accessories you'll get with it, it really is a good find.

However, quality for quality, the GS beats it hands down.

You just have to weigh the difference between a two year old TL or a three-to-five year old GS...
Old 01-25-06, 08:09 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted for the GS because I used to own a 2001 GS430 and it was
awesome. It was built like a tank.

Here are the weaknesses I see of the 2GS :

1) "old man" E class ripoff styling.
2) the handling is kind of mediocre stock.
3) frequent trips to the gas pump.

The TL on the other hand has iffy quality, crappy service and is FWD which
is NO fun to drive IMHO.

For luxury no comparison. GS430 >>>> TL.
GS300 >> TL

The TL is more of a "value" buy, but IMHO you get what you pay for in this case
Old 01-25-06, 09:04 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJL0365
preciate yalls comments, even though i think the TL is a fantasic car, now it looks like im leaning towards the GS (300/430) which ever is better suited in my price range. one comments stated that the TL was having tranny issues, wasnt aware of this and the same comment also stated fading, what exactly do u mean, like everyone has one? just wondering.
The 2004 TL's transmissions were recalled. They overheated and locked up the gears. The previous generation TL's transmissions were much worse

The dashboard on the black interior does have a tendency to wash out to a grayish color after a while, which is what the fading is.
Old 01-25-06, 12:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Your posting an opinion question between a Acura and Lexus on a Lexus site so your going to see some bias, just look at the wording in the poll above. If you post this on a Acura site you are going to get a Acura bias.

I would deffinitely get the TL over a 2nd Gen GS300 unless you plan on doing FI. The TL is much faster and a better handler then the GS300 and it has a nicer interior in my opinion with more features. The GS300 gets pretty poor gas mileage considering its engine size and power where the TL gets good mileage especially considering the power it puts out.

If you are talking about a GS430 and a TL then the decision is much closer to me. With automatic transmissions the GS430 will be faster and you will love the torque of the v-8. The 6 speed TL is a little quicker if you know what your doing with a stick but you will have to shift gears all the time when driving and there is torque steer when pushing the car to its limits. The GS430 get about the same gas mileage as the GS300 which is pretty good considering the size of the engine and power it makes. I don't know how much winter driving you will encounter but with the GS you will need snow tires in the winter if driving in snow/sleet/ice being it is a powerful rwd car with thick tires where you should be fine with good all season tires in the TL year round. Interior wise I prefer the TL a little more especially the center console and sportier feel and environment and more features. The TL has what most agree as the best navigation system in the business. The DVD-A in the TL sounds very good but the Mark Levinson if you get it in the GS I think sounds better. The GS does uses real wood and the GS430 has a few more wood peices in the interior where the TL uses simulated wood, although it is good looking simulated wood. The heated seats in the GS are weak and only have 1 power setting where the TLs work much better and have 2 settings. Looks are subjective, the GS looks more prestigious and more like a luxury car where the TL is a good looking aggressive sports/luxury sedan.

The transmission issues from the previous model have been fixed in the redesigned 2004 TL and I have not heard of any common problems with it besides maybe 1 or 2 people on the net claiming they had issues which occurs with just about every new car. As for the fading around the dash area I have not seen it on any cars I drove or looked at but I read from a few people on the internet it occurs mainly on black interiors. It could be a cleaning product they are using and frequent exposure to sunlight. A sun protectant like 303 aerospace protectant/cleaner or a sunshade might prevent this, but it is something I would look at and ask about.

As far as reliability and issues with the cars I am not convinced the GS is really any better then a TL. The GS has several common and very expensive to fix issues that Lexus has not addressed like power door lock actuator failures, moisture in the headlights, low rough idle that can lead to stalling requiring you to use the AC at all times, starter failures which are extremely difficult and expensive to replace, some suspension problems, odd shifting in the transmission, throttle lag, although putting it in power can help. I have been in enough GS's including mine and have noticed they squeek,groan, and rattle just like any other car. I have also read on CL as well as other sites about these squeeks like common ones in the sunroof area, where the windshield meets the dash, rearview mirror, seats, etc.

It really all depends on you and what you feel about the car after you test drive it and sit in it. The TL has received very good reviews in auto magazines as well as the GS. If your into a more modern nimbler sportier car that comes loaded with features and gets good gas mileage and will be a better all season car then the TL is probrably a better buy. If you want a slightly larger rwd car with a little more prestige that focuses more on a smoother ride and with the bonus of the v-8 torque and knowing the car originally cost more then the TL then the GS430 is probrably the better choice. Unless you plan on FI I would not get the GS300 unless you love the GS and acceleration, power, and gas mileage considering the power is not that important and you can get a great deal on a GS300. It is really up to what car you like better. Good Luck, they are all great cars you are considering.

Last edited by UDel; 01-25-06 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 12:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Depends on tastes. Overall, I would take the GS. However, comparing a TL and GS is like comparing apples and oranges. I do not even put them in the same class.
Old 01-25-06, 02:16 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take the GS as well, but from your poll description it sounds like you already dislike the American made TL and are trashing it so why even make a poll out of it? Did you already make up your mind and just want to jump on the band wagon and bash Acura?
Old 01-25-06, 02:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'd take the GS as well, but from your poll description it sounds like you already dislike the American made TL and are trashing it so why even make a poll out of it? Did you already make up your mind and just want to jump on the band wagon and bash Acura?
I think someone else made and worded the poll. He seemed like he was really impressed with the TL he test drove so I doubt he would word the poll like that to take shots at the TL.
Old 01-25-06, 03:04 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I think someone else made and worded the poll. He seemed like he was really impressed with the TL he test drove so I doubt he would word the poll like that to take shots at the TL.
My appologies if that is the case, but whomever worded that poll is only trying to stir things up on purpose and things like that should be tolorated by the moderators if they want discussions to stay fair and not get out of hand. Just my opinion. But heck, if they don't care I'll be more than happy to stir things up as well
Old 01-25-06, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
i would like to have the 430 but a 300 will have to due.
There is nothing really wrong with the GS300. It has a superb in-line 6 that not only runs as smooth as butter but is virtually bulletproof as well. Its only reliability glitch, since you are looking at a possible '01, is that year a factory service bulletin ( not a recall ) was issued for an update to the programming for the transmission computer to deal with erratic shifting in the lower gears. Make sure if you get an '01 that that update was done....a CarFax report or Lexus service records might indicate this
Old 01-25-06, 06:03 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

absolutly appriciate the comments, going back to infiniti to talk about the TL again, then goin to test out a GS and see that i like

(the GS is a beautiful car but i think its needs a kit to enhance the look. but the TL im looking at already has the kit, new exhaust that sounds awesome by the way and already fully loaded, so it looks like to me im leaning more towards the TL but the GS isnt far behind)

just wanted to see some of yalls comments to get your views on it

hes a pic of the TL
Attached Thumbnails your opinions what would u choose? TL or GS-lg_p26255-9.jpg  
Old 01-25-06, 06:04 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

the interior, there are no pics of the GS on the website
Attached Thumbnails your opinions what would u choose? TL or GS-lg_p26255-2.jpg  
Old 01-25-06, 09:30 PM
KobeGS3
Driver School Candidate

I would go with the GS. I had the same decision to make almost a month ago. The TL is a nice car but with the lexus superior built lots of room nice smooth ride , head turner and people keep talking about mpg I filled my tank up and drove around Charlotte I got over 430 miles on one tank and i have a GS 300 1998 I traded my 1999 bmw 325 I haven't regretted one minute of it.
Old 01-26-06, 12:13 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I'd take 04 TL over 01 or 02 GS300.
Old 01-26-06, 05:09 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
The 2004 TL's transmissions were recalled. They overheated and locked up the gears. The previous generation TL's transmissions were much worse
I was thinking the same thing. There's more reliability in a RWD vs. FWD. And if you add power...RWD is the way to go. The GS had many built in safety features. I haven't driven a TL, but the GS looks like it has more interior space...usually a factor for people looking at a 4-Door car. Plus I believe the GS has more HP and TQ for quick passing, plus it's able to challenge any Acura, BMW or Merc.

Personally, I'd think about waiting till next year and get a sweet deal on a used IS350.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: your opinions what would u choose? TL or GS