Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Z4 Coupe In Depth

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 03:26 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the roadster is not appealing to me or most people. But I have to tell you, there is something about that coupe that makes it juicy in my book.

The S2000 looks plain compared to it and the Elise looks over done if you can believe that.
Old 01-27-06, 04:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Yes, the roadster is not appealing to me or most people. But I have to tell you, there is something about that coupe that makes it juicy in my book.

The S2000 looks plain compared to it and the Elise looks over done if you can believe that.
Yeah, the S2000 look plain... plain gorgeous. The Elise looks wild and gorgeous. The Z4 isnt that ugly, but it doesn't flow together.
Old 01-27-06, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

I pretty much agree - that doesn't look too bad although I don't like the crease sweeping upward from the lower part of the front of the door up into the nose. That's just plain weird, but the rear fender bulges look awesome.

I've no doubt the car will be a blast to drive too.

I can believe it, and completely agree. I was shocked when I looked at that S2K pic on this thread - looked BORING. The Elise is more of a wild boy racer - plenty fun but you gotta be pretty secure to own one.
Old 01-27-06, 08:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I can believe it, and completely agree. I was shocked when I looked at that S2K pic on this thread - looked BORING. The Elise is more of a wild boy racer - plenty fun but you gotta be pretty secure to own one.
See, but thats the whole thing about S2000, it doesn't stand out like a Miata, so you dont have to be a preppy chick or a *** to drive one. Lotus kinda has some of that girlishly kinkish thing, but then the Lotus badge alone is a good enough excuse to own one.
Old 01-27-06, 08:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I' ve looked at the coupe again, it does look better than the roadster, I think the sloping roof makes it more attractive than the roadster, but overall still on the ugly side in my book though . . .
Old 01-27-06, 08:34 AM
ma51
Driver School Candidate

Hey, styling will always be subjective. No one's ever gonna' convince someone to change their minds about the look of a car -- they like it or they don't. That said, I personally think the coupe version of the Z4 somehow looks better than the roadster. Not sure why.

Old 02-10-06, 03:34 PM
modifyd
Pole Position

I work at BMW currently in the new car launch and design change dept. I just went out with some of the analysis guys and took a ride in the new coupe at a test track. The motorsport edition looks much better than those preproduction photos. This car is really quick and can handle really well even at speeds about 200km/hr. I like it much better than the roadster. With 343hp, it's pretty fun. That's enough info for now.
Old 02-10-06, 04:37 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

As a former M Roadster owner I will admit I'm biased, but I think the Z4 is actually the ultimate embodiment of everything that's wrong with Chris Bangle designs. Whenever I see one on the road, I'm just jarred by the incongruous lines, mismatched curves, and complete lack of a design gestalt in that car. Seriously, it just looks slapped together and is an aesthetic failure in my book.

I never did quite understand the denigrating comments thrown at the Z3. While it was somewhat plain in base form, the Motorsport enhancements did wonders for the aggressiveness and sportiness of the look. And it was no slouch in the performance department, either. Now only if I hadn't averaged more than one service visit per month of ownership...
Old 02-10-06, 10:48 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
[IMG]
Whenever I see Z4 pics, I always think of the need for a barf smiley here
More pics with long article HERE
This car is so ugly I nearly threw up when I saw the pix

This is quite possibly the ugliest car in history.
Old 02-10-06, 10:49 PM
modifyd
Pole Position

I guess I'm biased as well since I work there. The cars are well put together but the styling is a bit different. I personally like the 6 and very dislike the new 3 as it lost the great styling from the e46. The coupe is just awesome to ride in.
Old 02-27-06, 06:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default No BMW Without Racing

There'd likely be no BMW without motorsports, asserted the German maker's CEO, Helmut Panke, during a Geneva preview, Monday night. The automaker used the event to display its latest entry into the demanding Formula One series, as well as this version of the Z4 M Coupe. The track-ready version will make a whopping 400 horsepower out of its 3.4-liter in-line six. Expect the automaker to produce only a few hundred, according to company officials, with some expected to go to the U.S. when production begins mid-year. Whatever series it participates in, Panke said it is critical for the automaker to dominate. "BMW could not be the dynamic, most performance-focused car company if we weren't involved in motorsports," he insisted. "Step-by-step, we would lose our identity."

source : thecarconnection
Old 02-27-06, 08:38 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to ask the Germans (and this isn't aimed at Audi)... why is it so hard to put dual exhaust outputs on the cars? I honestly think a lot of BMW's and MB's (besides M Series and AMG's) would flow MUCH better if they had dual exhaust exits.

I mean... If Hyundai can do it...
Old 02-28-06, 05:06 AM
modifyd
Pole Position

The 6-cylinders are dual exhaust. The 2.5, 3.0, and 3.2. This racecar will ONLY be priced around 250,000 euros. I just got some information this morning regarding it. It's going to be sort of a kit. Its also got a detachable steering wheel!

edit: not sure about the 2.5, I'll have to go look.

Last edited by modifyd; 02-28-06 at 05:23 AM.