Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Acura MDX or Volvo XC90 2.5t
Acura MDX
76.74%
Volvo XC90 2.5t
23.26%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Acura MDX or Volvo XC90?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 04:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I personally refuse to drive anything without fully independant front and rear suspension, so LX and GX are out of question. .

Granted, a live axle is not very sophisticated, flexible, or refined, but it DOES have some advantages. By locking the two rear wheels solidly in place on the axle, it eliminates the need for rear wheel alignments, is easier and cheaper to produce, makes the whole assembly MUCH easier to work on than IRS, has fewer parts to leak, break, or wear out, and in general is better suited to off-roading.
Old 02-03-06, 06:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Granted, a live axle is not very sophisticated, flexible, or refined, but it DOES have some advantages. By locking the two rear wheels solidly in place on the axle, it eliminates the need for rear wheel alignments, is easier and cheaper to produce, makes the whole assembly MUCH easier to work on than IRS, has fewer parts to leak, break, or wear out, and in general is better suited to off-roading.
I forgot to add "on pavement" in my original post.
Old 02-03-06, 02:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers2
I totally agree, just a month ago my friend was looking for a suv with a 3rd row. He only had a few options. In the end he end up purchasing a Honda Pilot. To be honest yes Lexus has a better interior but Lexus suv exterior design is nothing to run home and tell your mother/wife about.
I like the RX, I agree the GX and LX are nothing spectacular, though all are better than Honda's bunt singles in the design area.

Originally Posted by Och
I forgot to add "on pavement" in my original post.
Well Honda is the right company for you, no real trucks, no V-8s. The GX and LX are some of the most capable trucks on the planet. DO owners use them that way, I am sure 99% don't but they are among the strongest trucks built today.

Did you know Honda dealers have begged them for almost 2 decades for a pickup truck. They begged for SUVs, and got the partnership with Isuzu selling rebadged Troopers and Rodeos as SLXs and Passports.

Toyota on the other hand, has been making trucks since the begining, their Landcruiser is literally LEGENDARY. They have sold SUVs and Pickups in America for over 25 years. It is a company that knows trucks and SUVs, like GM/Ford etc.

Honda still insists on doing things their way, which is great for the Honda faithful and puzzling to the rest of us.

Old 02-03-06, 03:39 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
While neither MDX or XC90 are on par with the RX300 interior wise, I think the MDX interior at least looks much better and much more refined than XC90. Now, I've never driven the XC90, but from the photographs it looks blah, defenately nowhere near the MDX. Like you said, the dash is awful, door panels are on par with chevy cavalier, and the steering wheel is horrific.

I personally refuse to drive anything without fully independant front and rear suspension, so LX and GX are out of question. As far as the RX goes (or its competition such as FX, X5, etc), i find them absolutely useless as far as SUV factor is concerned - they are too tiny, have no space for utility, most don't even come with AWD. They have no advantages that SUV's offer, but have all the disadvantages that come with SUVs - sloppy handling, poor gas mileage, bulk, risk of rollovers, and $10k overprice. I'd much rather take the ES300 over RX300.
You need to go sit in a XC90. The pics do not do it justice. The interior is beautiful IMHO - love the dash. But there are no good interior pics that I have found.

Of note, you can not get a FWD RX here in the Midwest nor can you get a RWD X5 cause they don't make them - AWD only.
Old 02-03-06, 04:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
You need to go sit in a XC90. The pics do not do it justice. The interior is beautiful IMHO - love the dash. But there are no good interior pics that I have found.

Of note, you can not get a FWD RX here in the Midwest nor can you get a RWD X5 cause they don't make them - AWD only.
I agree, the MDX interior is not its selling point, the XC has a very good interior.

Oh oh, is that real or fake wood? I know the MDX has fake wood.

Old 02-03-06, 04:20 PM
rdollie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ashtray cover is plood (plastic wood) while most of the rest of the XC90 has real wood now. Of course it's so highly lacquered (for safety reasons so it doesn't delaminate and splinter in an accident) it looks like plastic.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree, the MDX interior is not its selling point, the XC has a very good interior.

Oh oh, is that real or fake wood? I know the MDX has fake wood.
Old 02-03-06, 04:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rdollie
The ashtray cover is plood (plastic wood) while most of the rest of the XC90 has real wood now. Of course it's so highly lacquered (for safety reasons so it doesn't delaminate and splinter in an accident) it looks like plastic.
Thanks rdollie

Old 02-03-06, 05:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well Honda is the right company for you, no real trucks, no V-8s. The GX and LX are some of the most capable trucks on the planet. DO owners use them that way, I am sure 99% don't but they are among the strongest trucks built today.

Did you know Honda dealers have begged them for almost 2 decades for a pickup truck. They begged for SUVs, and got the partnership with Isuzu selling rebadged Troopers and Rodeos as SLXs and Passports.

Toyota on the other hand, has been making trucks since the begining, their Landcruiser is literally LEGENDARY. They have sold SUVs and Pickups in America for over 25 years. It is a company that knows trucks and SUVs, like GM/Ford etc.

Honda still insists on doing things their way, which is great for the Honda faithful and puzzling to the rest of us.
Why are you bringing all that into discussion? Did I say that GX and LX were not capable trucks? I know they are excellent machines, and if I was into offroading, I would defenately sport a landcruiser, but what is the point of having one if you do not offroad? None - only the disadvantages.

MDX does a much better job at being a minivan alternative than anything toyota offers at this time.

And please quit with your macro about Honda being my perfect and favorite company, if that was so I wouldnt be driving a gs430.
Old 02-03-06, 05:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Why are you bringing all that into discussion? Did I say that GX and LX were not capable trucks? I know they are excellent machines, and if I was into offroading, I would defenately sport a landcruiser, but what is the point of having one if you do not offroad? None - only the disadvantages.

MDX does a much better job at being a minivan alternative than anything toyota offers at this time.

And please quit with your macro about Honda being my perfect and favorite company, if that was so I wouldnt be driving a gs430.
Minivan as in 7 seats? Yeah, I guess so, what a market to be the best off, lol.

Macro, an economics guy? (I used to love Economics)

Well, the one thing that kind of discourages me from the VOlvo, at the Lexus Taste of Luxury with the SUVS, the Volvo was broken down the day I went.

Sigh.....

Old 02-03-06, 05:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Minivan as in 7 seats? Yeah, I guess so, what a market to be the best off, lol.
Yep, pretty much. There are enough people that have a family too large for a sedan, but do not want a minivan. The MDX is an excellent choice for them. And also its not just the 3rd row of seats, while the 3rd row seats are folded you can carry so much crap in the back, its unreal.

Macro, an economics guy? (I used to love Economics)
No, macro as in macro, a pattern, the other day you accused me of loving RL, today Honda becomes my favorite company, wtf? I just give credit to any company where it's due, well, besides maybe BMW and MB, but I'm kinda biased against them b/c I hate germany as a whole.
Old 02-03-06, 06:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Yep, pretty much. There are enough people that have a family too large for a sedan, but do not want a minivan. The MDX is an excellent choice for them. And also its not just the 3rd row of seats, while the 3rd row seats are folded you can carry so much crap in the back, its unreal.

No, macro as in macro, a pattern, the other day you accused me of loving RL, today Honda becomes my favorite company, wtf? I just give credit to any company where it's due, well, besides maybe BMW and MB, but I'm kinda biased against them b/c I hate germany as a whole.
Gotcah, its not for me but 70,000 units sold a year is top billing so Acura did hit the nail in the head with the truck, even if I wouldn't be caught dead in it (AWD RX 300 driver here, lol)

Hate GErmany, lol, now that is hard What would u do if Toyota/Honda opened a factory in Germany?

I don't hate any company, just not impressed many times

Old 02-03-06, 08:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Gotcah, its not for me but 70,000 units sold a year is top billing so Acura did hit the nail in the head with the truck, even if I wouldn't be caught dead in it (AWD RX 300 driver here, lol)
Well, the RX is very nice and luxorious, but I don't really see a point of having one - I'd much rather have an AWD sedan, because the RX simply doesn't have any advantages over one. It has no cargo space, you can't take it offroading, and its handling and acceleration leave much to be desired. Pretty much the same can be said about FX, X5 and I wont even mention smaller ones such as X3, CRV, RAV4. But then again, some people just happen to like SUVs better than sedans, so I guess RX is a nice choice for them. I happen to dislike SUV's in general, and the only way I would consider one is if I needed the cargo space and third row, and it would have to be as carlike as possible, so MDX makes sense to me.

Now, if Toyota made an SUV the size of MDX based on AWD GS chassis, that would be a whole different story.

Hate GErmany, lol, now that is hard What would u do if Toyota/Honda opened a factory in Germany?

I don't hate any company, just not impressed many times
It doesn't have anything to do with cars, I hate germany because of their **** past, they killed over 20 millions of my people, so it's kinda hard for me not to hate them.
Old 02-03-06, 11:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone has different backgrounds and different needs. My wife, too, picked the MDX over the RX300. At the time, the RX330 was not yet available. Truth be told, I think my wife would make the same choice again over the the RX330. The RX is too small to be a useful family SUV. The GX drives like a truck, a minus for my wife. At the time, she did not want a minivan and no other vehicle had all the features the MDX had in its price point.

Now, a minivan is not out of the question. The Sienna has changed her mind on a minivan. Again, some will not be caught dead in a minivan but that is not everyone. Once you have a family, your views change on a lot of things.

As for aesthetics, some find the MDX ugly and some find the RX ugly. No one is wrong. It is just an opinion.
Old 02-04-06, 05:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I, of course, with my usual long-windedness, am not known for making vehicle choices simple but, with all these arguments, if it is choice between these two vehicles, it is not really a complex matter at all. The XC-90 is the choice for safety and interior flash. The MDX has a better powertrain and will probably be more reliable as a daily driver. There's your choice, clear and simple. If it were my money, I'd take the MDX........I put a lot of emphasis on quality and reliability and want to avoid repairs and inconvienence.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-06 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-04-06, 11:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Well, the RX is very nice and luxorious, but I don't really see a point of having one - I'd much rather have an AWD sedan, because the RX simply doesn't have any advantages over one. It has no cargo space, you can't take it offroading, and its handling and acceleration leave much to be desired. Pretty much the same can be said about FX, X5 and I wont even mention smaller ones such as X3, CRV, RAV4. But then again, some people just happen to like SUVs better than sedans, so I guess RX is a nice choice for them. I happen to dislike SUV's in general, and the only way I would consider one is if I needed the cargo space and third row, and it would have to be as carlike as possible, so MDX makes sense to me.

Now, if Toyota made an SUV the size of MDX based on AWD GS chassis, that would be a whole different story.

It doesn't have anything to do with cars, I hate germany because of their **** past, they killed over 20 millions of my people, so it's kinda hard for me not to hate them.

Not to bring up history but Japan and Italy were allies of Germany. So technically, you shouldnt't like or drive any Japanese cars and any Italian exotics.

Did you know Dr. Porsche and his son were jailed together in Germany during wartime? Yet 356 development started without them.

Quick Reply: Acura MDX or Volvo XC90?