Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Acura MDX or Volvo XC90 2.5t
Acura MDX
76.74%
Volvo XC90 2.5t
23.26%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Acura MDX or Volvo XC90?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 09:02 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura MDX or Volvo XC90?

Ok guys, it has come to the point where we need the ability to carry a third kid around. Nope, the wife is not prego, but the kids always have a play date and my wife is one of the only ones who can not hold three kids in her car. She loves her RX300, but it just won't do it any more.

Have narrowed it down to the MDX and XC90. Really the only two car based SUVs with a real third row (Ok, the Pilot does but she finds it ugly and the Highlander... well that's not a third row - it is a box in the cargo compartment - oh yea, it’s about as stylish as a Pilot - if that!).

The XC90 is considerably more expensive - however you can get them for $3,500 under cost. That brings it much closer to the price of a MDX - but still about $2K more and then there is the extended warranty to consider as well (not needed on the MDX IMHO).

The XC90 does have a superior entertainment system and wonderful seats and safety. The MDX has ergonomics (on the electronics side) as well as a superior power train combo. Note we are not looking at the XC90 V8 simply because in order to get the 6-disc CD changer, you have to get a wood steering wheel - and those suck in the cold.

The MDX is due for a redesign, but she just can't wait until the fall.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-25-06, 09:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

DUDE...you didnt get the XC90 V8 yet??!!!

Its funny you ask this cause when I worked at Volvo we used to get a lot of MDX's in for trade, and now my friends who work for Acura say they get a lot of XC90's in for trade. LOL. Seems there are alot of people in the same boat. Go figure.

Both have there positives and negatives. The 2.5 Turbo being a little weaker, but great low end torque and pretty quite. At times it feels a little strained though. I believe a superior AWD system. XC90 is pretty damn good in the slippery stuff. Slightly less features, and quality in materials is lacking a little bit(lots of plastic on the dashboard, but everything else seems pretty damn good). A little more roomier as well. Plus the Volvo safety.

MDX is cool. Plenty powerful, and some nice features, but to me it looks like a really tall minivan. Awsome Navi and some above average quality as well.

It would be tough decision for me, but I would go for the better deal on this one. I like the XC90 looks, but I kinda like the quality of materials used in the MDX more. The 2.5T is an alright engine and hasnt really been plagued with problems like the T6 model.

Enjoy your new ride.

Last edited by magneto112; 01-25-06 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 09:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ok guys, it has come to the point where we need the ability to carry a third kid around. Nope, the wife is not prego, but the kids always have a play date and my wife is one of the only ones who can not hold three kids in her car. She loves her RX300, but it just won't do it any more.

Have narrowed it down to the MDX and XC90. Really the only two car based SUVs with a real third row (Ok, the Pilot does but she finds it ugly and the Highlander... well that's not a third row - it is a box in the cargo compartment - oh yea, it’s about as stylish as a Pilot - if that!).

The XC90 is considerably more expensive - however you can get them for $3,500 under cost. That brings it much closer to the price of a MDX - but still about $2K more and then there is the extended warranty to consider as well (not needed on the MDX IMHO).

The XC90 does have a superior entertainment system and wonderful seats and safety. The MDX has ergonomics (on the electronics side) as well as a superior power train combo. Note we are not looking at the XC90 V8 simply because in order to get the 6-disc CD changer, you have to get a wood steering wheel - and those suck in the cold.

The MDX is due for a redesign, but she just can't wait until the fall.

Any thoughts?
Defenately the MDX. My parents leased on for three years, put 78k on it (not a typo, they used it for business in NYC), and not a single major issue. At the end of the lease term the front ball joints were loose and made knocking noise, but they just returned the car without repairing them. I'd say its not a big deal considering NYC roads and the fact that it was carrying loads constantly. And then add myself playing with it in snowy parking lots. And they didnt maintain it at all, they went for the first two or three service appointments, and after that they didn't even bother going for oil changes, and after the 78k miles the thing was still going strong, heck even the original tires still had some life in them. In comparison the Qx4 they had before the MDX broke down at 40k, and had to have the engine rebuilt (not a single oil change).

Everything else was flawless, it drove and handled great for an SUV that size, you really don't feel the bulk, it felt very light-footed, and the amount of space it had is unbelievable.

Now to be honest with you, I do not know much about the Volvo, but I hear they have faulty electronics, and they are owned by Ford. I do not know how it compares to the MDX drivetrain, space and driving dynamics wise, but I rate the MDX much higher than other SUVS I drove, which are as follows:

1) RX330 (owned by a coworker of mine)
2) 1998 Qx4 (my parents leased it for 3 years)
3) 2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi (currently owned by my parents)
4) Mid 90ies 4runner (my parents leased it for 3 years)

None of these come close to the MDX. The RX maybe nicer on the inside but it's majorly lacking space wise, has sloppy handling, and is not nearly as capable in snow.
Old 01-26-06, 02:05 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no experience with the Volvo. I do have an 02 MDX, though. It is our "lux" utility vehicle. We shuttle plenty of people and things in it. We can nitpick all day (more power, more quality lux interior, HIDs, ...) but in the end, it has the most complete package for us. Some may not like it but to us, it was the best looking SUV that had all the features it provided (3rd, row, non-lock-while-driving Nav, "lux" brand ammenities, adequate power, and now with OEM RES) . You need to add some of the exterior pieces (running boards/sidesteps, spoiler, flares), though, as the plain jane MDX looks weird to me.

We loved the car up until the tranny went. To Acura's credit, they replaced it free of charge with minimal resistance. From what I can tell, this tranny issue plagued mostly the 01 and 02 models. Only time will tell if the other years are problematic. Since it sounds like you are getting a new 06, you should be better off than us. Other than the tranny issue (that may cloud my judgement against the MDX), for what it is, I would still pick the MDX today.
Old 01-26-06, 04:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's your main choice, Doug.......

If you are concerned with safety first and foremost, and you are concerned that your wife may have to make a sudden manuver to avoid something in these fairly high-center-of-gravity vehicles and flip it over, than the XC90, with its roll-stability control, would probably be the better choice. While the XC90 has both stablilty and roll control, the main difference between the two is that the stability control, with yaw and wheel-rotation sensors, corrects for understeer or oversteer vs. steering input, while the Roll Control system goes one better than that by adding sensors that detect large amounts of body roll and stopping it through the stability system before it gets to a dangerous level and incipient rollover. I'm sure that you, being an engineer, understand these terms and how these systems work. Volvo, along with Mercedes always the safety pioneer, developed the roll-control system ( Mercedes, BMW, and Cadillac developed the stability system ) , and Ford, of course, now has the rights to it...it is being added to some Ford SUV's as well.

However, the XC90, according to Consumer Reports ( which I rate highly for reliability data ) has had a poor repair record......which is pretty run-of-the-mill for European-designed vehicles these days, especially in electronics. And, of course, what are those Volvo stability and roll-systems based on? Yep...electronics.......maybe you get my drift here. The best safety systems in the world are no good if the electronics fail. Drive it on salted roads for awhile without washing the underbody and the salt could corrode and damage the wheel sensors.
The MDX, being a premium and upscale vehicle, while it does not have the XC90's roll-control system, does come with ABS, AWD, traction control, stability control, and a number of other safety-related features. While Neo has pointed out that there were some transmission-related issues several years ago, in general the MDX has been, in the Honda-Acura tradition, quite reliable, with far better electronics then the XC90. Its overall build quality, except for safety and crash-resistance where the Volvo's tank-like body structure and crush zones are a definite plus, is easily several notches above almost any Volvo product. While I have not seen the latest figures, the MDX is also likely to have better resale value several years down the road.

As usual, I've been a little long-winded, but I hope this ( and what the other posters have said ) will help you and your wife make a good decision. And, of course, you are by no means limited to these two vehicles...there are LOTS of vehicles out there nowadays with third-row seats, and some with 2+2+2 seating like the Mazda 5, Chrysler Pacifica, and Mercedes R-Class.
Old 01-26-06, 04:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I voted MDX. Like mmarshall noted the XC90's have a couple issues. Resale value isn't too good either maybe because of the issues.
Old 01-26-06, 12:04 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 265 Posts

I will never recommend a Volvo to anyone, not over a Japanese automake anyway. Go with the Acura.
Old 01-26-06, 12:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

MDX...this should not even be a question.
Old 01-26-06, 03:22 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys...
mmarshall - the wife hates minivans and I think she would qualify the Mazda 5 as one - although I think it is a cool vehicle and did not know it had a third row. The Pacifica is really nice, but that 3.5 is just burdened with all that weight. If they had a different motor in there... The R class is nice too - a friend of mine just picked one up. But the Entertainment system on that baby runs $3K and unfortunately my 4 year old has told us in no uncertain terms that Mommy's next car WILL have it (she almost made me get a 750 when she saw it had an entertainment system!). Plus first year reliability with MB just scares me.

Och - you have just convinced me not to get a used car - ever. With my luck I'll get one that your parent's leased

magneto112 - The V8 just didn't feel as good off the line as the 2.5t. The 2.5t was a bit noiser however. But it comes down to that DAMN wood steering wheel on that thing - and if you get the upgraded stereo (required if you want the 6-disc changer) you get the wood steering wheel. Damn them.

In the end it is looking like the MDX just has too many features (rear backup camera, etc.) for just too good of a price ($42K seems to be the going rate) to pass up.

Anyone interested in a 2000 RX300 with 71K?
Old 01-26-06, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

mmarshall - the wife hates minivans and I think she would qualify the Mazda 5 as one - although I think it is a cool vehicle and did not know it had a third row. The Pacifica is really nice, but that 3.5 is just burdened with all that weight. If they had a different motor in there... The R class is nice too - a friend of mine just picked one up. But the Entertainment system on that baby runs $3K and unfortunately my 4 year old has told us in no uncertain terms that Mommy's next car WILL have it (she almost made me get a 750 when she saw it had an entertainment system!). Plus first year reliability with MB just scares me.
)
I wasn't actually pushing the Mazda, Pacifica, or M-B, just remarking that they were also options as well. Like I said in my post, if safety is not the absolute top priority with the XC-90's roll-stability control, the MDX is a fine vehicle and an excellent choice. I wish you luck with it.
Old 01-26-06, 05:01 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Is the GX470 even an option? Don't get me wrong--I love the MDX--but I'm trying to help keep you in the Lexus family.
Old 01-26-06, 07:02 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Iceman
Is the GX470 even an option? Don't get me wrong--I love the MDX--but I'm trying to help keep you in the Lexus family.
Unfortunately Lexus has a HUGE hole in their lineup.

The RX330 is an incredible vehicle however its lack of a 3rd row prevents us from even considering it.

The GX470 is a truck -you climb up into it. My wife at 5' 2" does not appreciate that. Worse, the 3rd row in the GX is a joke - it does not fold down and away - a requirement as the need for it is occasional. Worse, the storage of those seats up against the side robs cargo space!

In the end, while I like the looks of the GX470, its mileage and truck heritage as well as its third row implementation knock it out of the running.

Funny that my wife begain to check out the XC-90 at the Taste of Lexus - after driving the GX470 and shaking her head and some of the things they did.

Oh yea, IT HAS A WOOD STEERING WHEEL STANDARD! Man I hate those.
Old 01-26-06, 07:16 PM
LexFather

Unfortunately Lexus has a HUGE hole in their lineup.

The RX330 is an incredible vehicle however its lack of a 3rd row prevents us from even considering it.

The GX470 is a truck -you climb up into it. My wife at 5' 2" does not appreciate that. Worse, the 3rd row in the GX is a joke - it does not fold down and away - a requirement as the need for it is occasional. Worse, the storage of those seats up against the side robs cargo space!

In the end, while I like the looks of the GX470, its mileage and truck heritage as well as its third row implementation knock it out of the running.

Funny that my wife begain to check out the XC-90 at the Taste of Lexus - after driving the GX470 and shaking her head and some of the things they did.

Oh yea, IT HAS A WOOD STEERING WHEEL STANDARD! Man I hate those.
Not a huge hole. LExus sells over 110k RXs a year, Acura about 70k MDXs. But I see what you are saying. I for one am glad the RX doesn't offer a useless, in brochure only, 3rd seat.

Old 01-26-06, 07:50 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not a huge hole. LExus sells over 110k RXs a year, Acura about 70k MDXs. But I see what you are saying. I for one am glad the RX doesn't offer a useless, in brochure only, 3rd seat.
You mean like the Highlander! The AWD one that is.

Honestly, I think that if Lexus does not come out with a 3-row car based SUV in the very near future they will be hurting. The new MDX is going to put a lot of pressure on them to come up with something and quick. These car based SUVs (a segment that Lexus pioneered if I'm not mistaken) are where everyone is going. Of note, Infiniti does not have anything in this segment either.

Take a look at the Pilot sales of late to see what I am talking about.
Old 01-26-06, 08:11 PM
LexFather

You mean like the Highlander! The AWD one that is.

Honestly, I think that if Lexus does not come out with a 3-row car based SUV in the very near future they will be hurting. The new MDX is going to put a lot of pressure on them to come up with something and quick. These car based SUVs (a segment that Lexus pioneered if I'm not mistaken) are where everyone is going. Of note, Infiniti does not have anything in this segment either.

Take a look at the Pilot sales of late to see what I am talking about.
BTW, I voted teh Volvo. IMO, if your going to not go for the best in quality (Lexus), you might as well try the Germans or Sweedes. Acura is barely above the industry average. And the XC is a newer design and I am sure you can get a much better deal on it. I also find the MDX as appealing as a mutated angry kitchen appliance, the VOlvo looks better to me, inside and out.

Quick Reply: Acura MDX or Volvo XC90?