Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ack to the 70's - Ford bans non-Fords from parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 06:57 AM
LexFather

Question ack to the 70's - Ford bans non-Fords from parking lot

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11057921

DEARBORN, Mich. - The parking lot at Ford Motor Co.'s Dearborn Truck plant just got a little more exclusive.

Plant manager Rob Webber announced Monday that, starting Feb. 1, the parking lot may be used only by employees who drive vehicles built by Ford or one of its subsidiaries.

Webber's move came the same day Ford announced a restructuring plan under which it will cut up to 30,000 jobs and close 14 facilities by 2012. Ford said the plan is designed to make the company's North American division, which lost $1.6 billion last year, profitable by 2008.

"It was something this plant manager took upon himself. It's not a company-wide policy," Ford spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari said, adding that Webber made the decision after consulting with local UAW leaders.

Jerry Sullivan, president of United Auto Workers Local 600, which represents about 2,600 workers at the plant, applauded Webber's move.

"Everybody's in this together. (We need) to buy the products we make and support the company," Sullivan said. "This is a good place to start."

The UAW in the past has banished Asian and European vehicles from its parking lots. The restriction at Dearborn Truck, however, may be the first to be sanctioned by an automaker, The Detroit News reported Friday.

The ban applies to both salaried and hourly workers with permits to park on site. About 15 percent of Dearborn Truck employees have such permits. Employees who don't drive Ford products can still park in an employee lot across the street from the plant.

Those employees will include a veteran skilled tradesman who said he drives a vehicle made by DaimlerChrysler AG because it gives him "the most bang for my buck."

"They can't tell you how to spend your money," said the man, who asked not to be identified for fear of reprisals. "It's still a free country."

Old 01-27-06, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Now.......let's start DEFINING Ford products. Let's see ........Volvo, Land Rover, Mazda, Jaguar, Aston Martin, etc.....
I'd say a pretty diverse parking lot.
Old 01-27-06, 08:06 AM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They did that at the Linden NJ plant also before they closed it..I used to make deliveries there and all the imports had to park acsross the street.I guess they wanted Fords closer to the plant for those frequent repairs!
Old 01-27-06, 08:21 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSXLEX
I guess they wanted Fords closer to the plant for those frequent repairs!

Coming from someone who's had Ford products in the family... I'd still rather walk several blocks from the lot to the factory than drive one of their clunkers.
Old 01-27-06, 08:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
"They can't tell you how to spend your money," said the man, who asked not to be identified for fear of reprisals.
Actually yes they can.

"It's still a free country."
Yes, which also means the company is free to set policies and this man is free to find work elsewhere.

I'm not saying I agree with what Ford is doing but that doesn't mean they should be prevented from doing it.
Old 01-27-06, 08:39 AM
ma51
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Now.......let's start DEFINING Ford products. Let's see ........Volvo, Land Rover, Mazda, Jaguar, Aston Martin, etc.....
I'd say a pretty diverse parking lot.
Not a bad point, actually. Shortly after Ford bought Jaguar, I heard several of my auto-writer friends joking that Ford execs are glad the company bought Jag -- they weren't stuck with "crummy old Lincolns" as the best car they could drive to work.

Hee hee. Probably some truth in that sentiment!

Old 01-27-06, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

pretty silly move by the company i say..... i always hate when people use a forcefull way to make people comply.... try to influent people to believe instead
Old 01-27-06, 09:13 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

OMG. How stupid. I heard also that only Union workers have priviledge of up-close parking.
Old 01-27-06, 09:15 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

really bold move but im in the middle on this
Old 01-27-06, 11:15 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Given how litigious North American is you know this will end up in a lawsuit, and the policy will quickly be stopped
Old 01-27-06, 11:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Given how litigious North American is you know this will end up in a lawsuit, and the policy will quickly be stopped
And what if it IS stopped? Given the redneck attitude of the plant managers and the union bosses, who would WANT to......or be foolish enough to actually PARK a non-Ford or non-Ford-subsidary vehicle in the lot? Come on, guys, don't be naive. You know darn well what will happen. That car will have everything from key lines to spray-paint graffiti to slashed tires to busted-out windows on it.
If it was me, I would simply tell the manager and the union they can both kiss my a * * and, if possible, go get a job elsewhere...maybe at a non-union plant.
Old 01-27-06, 11:51 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me, I would simply tell the manager and the union they can both kiss my a * * and, if possible, go get a job elsewhere...maybe at a non-union plant.

Speaking of naive, this is MI... there are no other (non-union) jobs (for his skill set)! lol
Old 01-27-06, 02:50 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I'll park my Lexus right in front with a print out of my stock holdings in Toyota on the windshield.

Maybe I'll leave business cards with the local EDD office as a courtesy.
Old 01-27-06, 02:59 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

When I read the article, I thought
There are two ways to increase your sales. 1. Build a better product or 2. Force everyone who works for you to buy your product
Old 01-27-06, 06:06 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

And what if it IS stopped? Given the redneck attitude of the plant managers and the union bosses, who would WANT to......or be foolish enough to actually PARK a non-Ford or non-Ford-subsidary vehicle in the lot? Come on, guys, don't be naive. You know darn well what will happen. That car will have everything from key lines to spray-paint graffiti to slashed tires to busted-out windows on it.
my friend works in the union, some branches are crazy when it comes to the car you drive, they will weld your doors shut, torch your car, crazy ****, a lawyer will do nothing, the union guys will spend their 9-5 making you nuts

Quick Reply: ack to the 70's - Ford bans non-Fords from parking lot