Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Public Policy - Make Speeding Impossible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 01:43 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we should have limits on what our cars can do on the street. But, before we set those limits, we need to evaluate whether the current speed limits are reasonable anymore. I'd propose raising the speed limit to 75mph, which is plenty fast for commuting, then govern the cars on the freeways to 95mph - MAX. No-one needs to drive faster than that on the highway, and it it saves a few lives and prevents retards from taking thier dad's SL65 for a rip up to 175 on I=75 then this is a good thing.... And yes, I am the devil's advocate, and yes, I have seen 140mph on the highway, and it was dumb in retrospect . On the track - go for it, on the street - take it easy.
Old 01-28-06, 02:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffey454
I think we should have limits on what our cars can do on the street. But, before we set those limits, we need to evaluate whether the current speed limits are reasonable anymore. I'd propose raising the speed limit to 75mph, which is plenty fast for commuting, then govern the cars on the freeways to 95mph - MAX. No-one needs to drive faster than that on the highway, and it it saves a few lives and prevents retards from taking thier dad's SL65 for a rip up to 175 on I=75 then this is a good thing.... And yes, I am the devil's advocate, and yes, I have seen 140mph on the highway, and it was dumb in retrospect . On the track - go for it, on the street - take it easy.
Not a bad idea. I would generally support this, especially for rural areas. 75 is a little high in and around major cities, though...especially at rush hours.
Old 01-28-06, 02:16 PM
LexFather

I would endorse moer drivers courses and driver education. Its just too easy to get a license.

Autocompanies would fight this like mad, then it makes no sense to offer cars with more tha 150hp

Old 01-28-06, 02:31 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

80 is the normal traffic flow on the freeway that I take to work. So maybe raising hte limit to 75 isnt a bad idea.

But if they do go though with this GPS junk.

1.)They have to spend money with the system (train people to fix them)
2.) Kinda hard to pass another car if everybody is at a steady 65.
3.) since nobody can speed anymore, City wont make any money from speeding tickets
(ALOT of CHP out of a Job besides a few that will still be needed for other traffic laws.)
Old 01-28-06, 02:34 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Leets
Land of the Free?
Getting so people only say that when they are being sarcastic or singing along with the national anthem. Hasn't been strictly true since, oh, the days of Teddy Roosevelt. Folks who believe we have the most freedom in the world don't read much and haven't traveled at all.
Old 01-28-06, 05:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...if possible. I used to do this with my old Mazda GLC.....connect the EGR valve up once a year for the emissions test....then disconnect it and seal it off. The engine....even brand-new would never stop pinging with it on, regardless of fuel type.

Actually, Inabj, I am FAR more concerned about the tremendous number of "traffic-calming" devices going up like 3 and 4-way stops, barricades, DO NOT ENTER signs, speed bumps / humps, etc......going up literally EVERYWHERE....yes, in many places that do not NEED traffic-calming but get them anyway because some civic group just asks for them. They are far more of a pain in the a * * in my opinon than a GPS device....they wear out brakes and transmissions.
In the Mexico City metro area, except for my recent posting on speeding on major arteries...I have never heard of one local or state police officer ever given out a speeding ticket. They do nab kids racing from time to time. Why no tickets?

Virtually everywhere on local streets, the lanes are excessively small, speed bumps and speed depressions (inverted speedbumps) rule the road. Potholes of all shapes and sizes show up and steel grates line streets and sink in over time.
Old 01-28-06, 07:35 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Taking the ability to speed out of the drivers hands is the half-assed solution to a bigger problem. New drivers must go to driving school and learn how to be better drivers.
Old 01-29-06, 02:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
Taking the ability to speed out of the drivers hands is the half-assed solution to a bigger problem. New drivers must go to driving school and learn how to be better drivers.
Well, there are two problems with that. First, people in driving school don't always pay attention.
Second, the instructors themselves sometimes just teach a bunch of bulls**t. A good example of this is the way they often tell older people to go out and get big, full-size and full-framed cars like the Crown Victoria and Mercury Marquis for maximum " safety ". They say that all things equal, the more metal around you the better......which is generally true from the standpoint of protection inside, but what about the damage these big heavy cars CAUSE when THEY hit something? That, compounded by the fact that an older person is more likely to pass out while driving ( this often happens in Florida ) and drive his or dinosaur right into something.
Old 01-29-06, 12:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, there are two problems with that. First, people in driving school don't always pay attention.
Second, the instructors themselves sometimes just teach a bunch of bulls**t. A good example of this is the way they often tell older people to go out and get big, full-size and full-framed cars like the Crown Victoria and Mercury Marquis for maximum " safety ". They say that all things equal, the more metal around you the better......which is generally true from the standpoint of protection inside, but what about the damage these big heavy cars CAUSE when THEY hit something? That, compounded by the fact that an older person is more likely to pass out while driving ( this often happens in Florida ) and drive his or dinosaur right into something.
That is definitely true of what you say in Florida.

When I was growing up, my parents demanded I go to driver's ed at night school at my high school. Turns out the insurance deduction is what they wanted. Hardly ever attended at the teacher was on of the my football coaches.

However, I remember there were some people from Latin America who had just arrived and they were asking him all sorts of questions about driving. Drove him nuts.
Old 01-29-06, 01:07 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about this... In a world without speeding there would be a need for few highway patrol and officers (camaro, corvettes, mustangs...). Car companies would not have a need for such powerful cars or new cars. There be a HUGH demand for used cars where these devices are not mandatory. Insurance companies would have fewer reasons to raise premiums. Cities, counties, & states would have less revenue. You can trust that all the interested parties above will make sure this will not happen, by protecting our driving privileges.