Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

EVO Magazine 1/06: evo Car of the Year 2005

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 07:54 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up EVO Magazine 1/06: evo Car of the Year 2005

Part One: The Real World

13. Mazda MX-5 - "It feels as if the programme was led by marketing men, not engineers. With its much more obviously impressive interior and extra gizmos, the new car will no doubt find a big audience with people who bought mks 1 and 2 for their cute looks and easy top-down motoring..."

12. Chevrolet Corvette - "...it tied itself in knots as soon as the road turned nadgety. It feels like a live axle at the rear, like the engine's far too much for the chassis. And it always feels huge, which is weird, because it's not."

11. Volkswagen Golf R32 - "The Golf R32 might have scored more highly had it not been for another car - a car that wasn't actually even in this test. For as quick and able and mellifluous as the R32 is, there's always the spectre of the GTI lurking in its mirrors."

9. Subaru Impreza WRX - "Brilliant...But this version doesn't really move things on. Been there, done that, got the haircut...it's just like any other Impreza, though the new engine gives a better spread of torque and slightly keener throttle response."

9. BMW 130i M Sport - "Those who've driven it on smoother roads or on track rave about its fluid handling, but some of us suspect that on many British B-roads it's probably hobbled by the stiffer suspension and bigger wheels."

8. Renault Megane 225 - "It's a pity you've got to push the Megane so far before you get to the point where the feedback is saying 'You are actually driving this car now'...and to be honest most people would never reach those speeds on the road."

7. Caterham CSR - "...the biggest obstacle to more people chucking in their Boxsters and Chimaeras for a top-of-the-range Caterham hasn't been the Seven's performance and handling, but the 1950s-style weather equipment and general discomfort."

6. Subaru Forester STi - "I thought it was going to be crap but I really loved it."

5. Lotus Exige 240R - "Even if you could stretch to 44k GBP, it's unlikely the Lotus would be your first car, it's just too single-minded, so it starts to look like a rich man's plaything. Happily for Lotus there are enough rich men around..."

3. Nissan 350Z GT4 - "...the crucial difference between the Nissan and cars like the Mustang and Corvette is that the Z's rear suspension deals with all the bumps. There's a bit less feedback, but it only takes a couple of corners to realise that the back end's sorted, that it's with you, and that you can really start to exploit it."

3. Roush Ford Mustang - "If you want the full American experience, right down to the Nascar roar,...the Mustang gives you that. It is flawed, it is a bit lairy. It's an analogue car, not overly sophisticated, but it's actually pretty well sorted."

2. BMW M3 CS - "It's mostly down to the steering feel - but the whole car feels like they've taken the best bits from the CSL and just polished them a bit more. And you haven't got any of the horrible compromises of the CSL like the harshness and the fixed-back seats."

1. Renault Clio Trophy - "The Clio Trophy is our people's champion of 2005. And now, along with the M3 CS, it'll head for the Route Napoleon and an appointment with some supercars."

Part Two: The Surreal World

10. TVR Sagaris - "It's an event to drive - TVRs always are - but it really does feel like it lacks the depth of quality it needs to stand comparison in this company."

9. Mercedes SLK55 AMG - "I know the engineers tried to do a manual...but they couldn't fit it in, so they ended up with the auto. It's got unbelieveable overtaking ability, but what bugs me is that if Land Rover can build-in a blip on the downchange, why the hell can't AMG?"

8. BMW M6 - "This really was BMW's chance to build a Ferrari-beater, but despite packing the hardware and doing the figures, it isn't."

7. Aston Martin V8 Vantage - "It seems the Vantage has a bit of an identity crisis, unsure whether it's an in-yer-face sports car or polished GT."

6. Porsche Cayman S - "It's dynamically more aggressive than the Boxster...The problem is the chassis is so good you feel it has Turbo S grip and Boxster grunt. It's a brilliant thing, but it didn't give me 911 goosebumps."

5. BMW M3 CS - "It's a car packed with subtlety. The more you drive it, the more you appreciate the breadth of its repertoire and the fine throttle-led nuances to its chassis balance."

4. Lamborghini Gallardo SE - "The sense of occasion is unmatched, and the engine, which sounds like a race engine with all that popping and banging and flames, is ridiculous. It's not as quick as the Ford or as sharp as the Ferrari, but it gives you so much confidence to use all of the performance."

3. Renault Clio Trophy - "There's absolutely nothing you could improve about that car. Nothing."

2. Ferrari F430 - "There's an invigorating lightness to the F430 that the Gallardo and Ford GT simply don't have. You don't just flow with the road, you almost skim its surface. The whole car feels alert and whip-crack responsive."

[B]1. Ford GT - "The addictive power, captivating looks and uniquely uncomplicated nature of its performance make it one of the all-time great supercars"[B]

Old 01-27-06, 08:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I read that article at the magazine rack a couple days ago, I'd still take the F430 Very good show for the Ford GT though

No scans ??
Old 01-27-06, 08:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo

No scans ??
LOL. Nice list.

LexArazzo
AGAIN!!!!
Old 01-27-06, 08:08 PM
LexFather

scans would take me a week

Old 01-28-06, 03:15 AM
2ndchance
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks that we don't get the Clio over here. IMHO it looks better than -any- other hatchback out there (ok, the Golf comes close). Top that with performance, and you've got yourself a helluva ride.
Old 01-28-06, 05:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndchance
It sucks that we don't get the Clio over here. IMHO it looks better than -any- other hatchback out there (ok, the Golf comes close). Top that with performance, and you've got yourself a helluva ride.
clio actually looks pretty terrbile in real life, its very cramped with cheap interior this is an old version that is not on sale anymore in most of the europe... New one looks like an larger car and its lost a lot of its quirkyness but it also gained a lot in quality. Clio is economy class car, like Punto, Yaris or Polo, one size smaller than Golf.

Clio has a long history of sport versions which were very sucessful in sales, and as long as I remember it has been one of the favourite cars of british mags. It also has an midengined V6 version (think Ferrari).
Old 01-28-06, 07:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
clio actually looks pretty terrbile in real life, its very cramped with cheap interior this is an old version that is not on sale anymore in most of the europe... New one looks like an larger car and its lost a lot of its quirkyness but it also gained a lot in quality. Clio is economy class car, like Punto, Yaris or Polo, one size smaller than Golf.

Clio has a long history of sport versions which were very sucessful in sales, and as long as I remember it has been one of the favourite cars of british mags. It also has an midengined V6 version (think Ferrari).
yup like the rear engined CLio V-6. HOTNESS!

Old 01-28-06, 09:35 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, you really like your EVO huh Mike
Next one is going to be even better
Old 01-28-06, 10:51 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the mid-engine version has been cut from production as of about a month ish ago...
Old 01-28-06, 11:25 PM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that article couple days ago. Quite interesting!