Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sigh...Winklemann says Lambo SUV coming before 2+2

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 08:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Sigh...Winklemann says Lambo SUV coming before 2+2

It's built some of the world's finest supercars - but now Lamborghini is going back to its roots with an astonishing 4x4, exclusively revealed by AutoExpress.

The Italian giant is no stranger to all-wheel-drive vehicles - company founder Ferrucio Lamborghini started out building tractors - but its next new model won't necessarily be a racer. Enthusiasts of the brand might have expected a four-seater to rival the Ferrari Scaglietti, but it looks as though a luxury off-roader is on track instead.

Lambo president Stephan Winklemann told Auto Express: "There is more need for an SUV, and parent firm Audi produces the Q7, so for me, this is a better option than a 2+2. I would like to do more, but we are a small company and can't build all the models we want at once."

The news comes as the firm revealed it's been inundated with inquiries about its new Miura, which debuted in the US at the start of January. The concept will appear at the Geneva Motor Show in March, alongside the Gallardo Spyder and possibly a fresh Murciélago. That model debuted in 2001, and has yet to get a facelift.

To cope with the extra interest generated by the firm's activity, the UK is also set to get a pair of new Lamborghini dealers, in Birmingham and Edinburgh.
Old 01-28-06, 12:25 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lamborghini already built an SUV that failed in the early 90's. Anyone remember the LM002?

It had some impressive numbers, with 450hp coming from a V12, so once you get past the skin there's some justification in the guts. With the popularity of the SUV now, and higher end manufacturers already having their feet wet with them (Porsche Cayenne Turbo at this point), it shouldn't be too bad
Old 01-28-06, 05:43 AM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I head that Lamborghini went head to head with AM General to try to get the contract for the government contract for military vehicles. The hummer obviously got the contract. That would be interesting to see Lambo LM002 military vehicles...
Old 01-28-06, 07:01 AM
LexFather

#_$)_ )_)_#% VOLKSWAGON Is behind this. Nothing is sacred. If they build a SUV, Ferrari becomes my favorite car maker, even with the new ugly cars. I know they would NEVER EVER EVER build a Ferrari SUV.

Old 01-28-06, 07:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

If I ever have a chance to get a Lambo, there's no chance that it'll be a SUV nor even a 2+2 . . .
Old 01-28-06, 08:19 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Pure crap....I feel the same way about this as I did the Muira. Mr. Lamborghini would turn over in his grave if he read this. Once again VAG consistantly KILLING a good thing. They need to stop chasing the green(money) and let Lambo be an exclusive company. A modern day Lambo truck built off of a Q7 would tarnish the brand big time. I hope the same folks who turned down teh Muira turn this down as well.