Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another court battle: BMW demands 260million from Infiniti (M models)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 08:48 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Crap! Is this a BMW or a Nissan???
I can see the alphabet wars are causing trademark issues, but this is pretty lame and weak that drivers, wait.... aficionados, could be confused b/t the two? They're saying that car fanatics are too stupid to not know the difference ?

I agree then that Nissan should sue BMW for the Z.
Nissan should sue BMW regarding the Z for $260 Million and both sides can call it even.
Old 01-30-06, 10:08 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Toronto, Canada, and I drive on the main hwy towards downtown everyday. I see the billboards all day long and when I first saw thd Ad of the "M..is coming" just the way it looks you know it's by Infinity...
Old 01-31-06, 04:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't see any sense at all in this lawsuit.
What is most important in ANY vehicle is not what it is named but what that vehicle IS. In fact, that is what we do here in CAR CHAT...educate ourselves and others on what vehicles ARE, not friviolus names. If two ( or more ) manufacturers decide to use the " M " designation, so what? M has been used for many years by a number of manufacturers. Pontiac used it in the early-mid-80's with the Fiero 2M4. Infiniti has used it on the M30, M35, and M45. BMW, of course, has used it for years in its M-series. Chrysler used it for the 300M....the V6 front-drive predecessor of today's 300C. Mercedes uses it for its M-Class crossover SUV's. There are numerous other examples...I won't go down the whole list.
If the judge......or jury.......doesn't toss this case out, IMO they will just be encouraging even more frivolous suits down the road, and more waste of the court's time..

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-06 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-31-06, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

us educating people here is one thing, but general perception is another. and in this case, a much bigger impact than our tiny education. that's why all brands (even lexus for that matter) spend so much money every yr to build up their brand names, reputations, etc... any type of "imitations" and influencing other people from thinking that way shouldn't be allowed imho.

in this case, bimmer build up the strong m power name for yrs, with tons of money invested (and successfully may i add). i had no problem with infiniti calling their cars m35, m45. that's fine. but as soon as they make it "the m", in my eyes that's crossed the line. even for most of us enthusiasts here, as soon as you say "the m", i strongly believe most of us think of the m powered bmw
Old 01-31-06, 09:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
us educating people here is one thing, but general perception is another. and in this case, a much bigger impact than our tiny education. that's why all brands (even lexus for that matter) spend so much money every yr to build up their brand names, reputations, etc... any type of "imitations" and influencing other people from thinking that way shouldn't be allowed imho.

in this case, bimmer build up the strong m power name for yrs, with tons of money invested (and successfully may i add). i had no problem with infiniti calling their cars m35, m45. that's fine. but as soon as they make it "the m", in my eyes that's crossed the line. even for most of us enthusiasts here, as soon as you say "the m", i strongly believe most of us think of the m powered bmw
Yes, using just " the M " is a bit too much, but I doubt anybody will confuse a M45 with a BMW M5 when they actually consider buying a car, nobody that's interested & in the position to buy those class of cars would be that stupid.
I think BMW is unhappy because Nissan is using the drawing power of " the M " to at least get people into Infiniti showrooms to take a look, & the M35/45 is the most direct 5 series competitor in it's class.
Old 01-31-06, 10:47 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, if BMW wins they could use the $260M to employ Apple to make their iDrive simple and reliable.

Or, they could use the money to make more 3-series to use as dealership loaner cars.
My friend's 545i is in the shop AGAIN due to iDrive... the bummer is, when it fails
he loses the Nav, Radio, climate contol, etc. He gets to drive a 325i but he has 545i payments!
Sweet!
Old 01-31-06, 11:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Yes, using just " the M " is a bit too much, but I doubt anybody will confuse a M45 with a BMW M5 when they actually consider buying a car, nobody that's interested & in the position to buy those class of cars would be that stupid.

Yes, this was the basic point I was trying to make. Vehicles from many different companies have been built with the M designation for decades. What is important is not the M badge but what is BENEATH that M badge....the actual car underneath. You could name a high-performance BMW with ANY letter of the alphabet ( not just M ) and it would not make a bit of difference what you get underneath the skin or how it drives..
Old 01-31-06, 12:20 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 305 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I think BMW is unhappy because Nissan is using the drawing power of " the M " to at least get people into Infiniti showrooms to take a look, & the M35/45 is the most direct 5 series competitor in it's class.
Didn't we see a thread about a Nissan that sounded like it used a BOV in a commercial, and we said anybody seriously interested in that car would KNOW that it doesn't have a turbo, hence no case on false advertising?
Old 01-31-06, 12:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What is important is not the M badge but what is BENEATH that M badge....the actual car underneath. You could name a high-performance BMW with ANY letter of the alphabet ( not just M ) and it would not make a bit of difference what you get underneath the skin or how it drives..
Well, I think the M badge is actually a lot more important than you think. What you say is correct in principle, but it does not work that way in the real world with marketing a product.
My own observation is many AMG & BMW M buyers are badge buyers that cares more about the badge than what's beneath. The way some of them drive, they can be almost as happy driving a 530i, E320 etc. & save a bundle . . . but they are willing to spend a lot more just for the M & AMG badge. They're status symbols for some rich people, where the badge is as important (or more important) than the content.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-31-06 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 12:27 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Fighting over the alphabet is ridiculous, pure and simple. If companies want to trademark names, use some imagination and come up with a real name. Obviously with luxury brands, everyone one wants to use individual letters to keep the emphasis on the company name. But if they are goind to do so, it has to remain reasonable.
Old 01-31-06, 02:35 PM
st-187
Driver School Candidate

If BMW does win the lawsuit, that would mean deeper pockets for Apple to dig from after they sue BMW for the use of the lowercase " i " in front of "Drive". Coincedentially television network ABC is currently in the werks for filing a lawsuit against chain resturant T.G.I.F. for the use of the letters t, g, i and f. Those same letters kicked off the network's friday night line up form the late 80's spanning over a decade.. Network insiders fear that people will confuse the resturants delicious Jack Daniel's Buffalo chicken strips, bar, outdoor smoking section, ample parking and a generally fun time, for that of such fine family shows as Family Matters, Step by Step and Full House just to name a few.
Old 01-31-06, 02:50 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by st-187
If BMW does win the lawsuit, that would mean deeper pockets for Apple to dig from after they sue BMW for the use of the lowercase " i " in front of "Drive". Coincedentially television network ABC is currently in the werks for filing a lawsuit against chain resturant T.G.I.F. for the use of the letters t, g, i and f. Those same letters kicked off the network's friday night line up form the late 80's spanning over a decade.. Network insiders fear that people will confuse the resturants delicious Jack Daniel's Buffalo chicken strips, bar, outdoor smoking section, ample parking and a generally fun time, for that of such fine family shows as Family Matters, Step by Step and Full House just to name a few.
LMAO.........