Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Accord ADAS auto-pilot system takes the reins

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 10:36 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Accord ADAS auto-pilot system takes the reins

We've heard of radar assisted cruise control, that has certain luxury cars running at set speeds on the highway, but slows them down or speeds them up when they get too close to a car in front or behind. Well now Honda UK is taking it to another level with their Advanced Driver Assist System (ADAS) that not only regulates your speed, but manages the turning, allowing you a full auto-pilot system for your Accord when you're out on the freeway. The Adaptive Cruise Control is your regular radar variety, but the Lane Keep Assist System keeps you headed in the right direction by using a camera on the rear-view mirror to watch the white lines and turn accordingly. Honda was quick to point out that their system isn't exactly set up for you to take a nap, since the ADAS system will beep every 10 seconds to make sure you're paying attention, requiring you to touch the steering wheel to inform the car you're still in charge, but we're sure someone is going manage an accident and an ensuing lawsuit or three out of this "convenience".

Source story: http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/30/h...kes-the-reins/
Pics and a detailed story: http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature...onda-lkas.html
Old 01-30-06, 10:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So if Toyota and Honda get together we not only will have a car that parks itself, but drives itself too
Old 01-31-06, 02:33 AM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Its inevitable that one day most cars will drive themselves, hopefully no time soon. I think i speak for everyone on this board when i say i like driving.
Old 01-31-06, 05:44 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A camera reading the lane stripes is pretty scary. Road striping crews have been known to mess up or simply quit for the day. Putting your trust in technology is one thing, but potentially putting your life in the hands of a bored, unmotivated, minimum-wage worker is something else.

Anyone for breakfast at McDonalds?
Old 01-31-06, 10:45 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Honda, go ahead and set aside about $300,000,000 to payout in lawsuits.

opefully the paint-striping crews on the Motorways in England are on top of keeping their lines straight and bright. Speaking of, I wouldn't be surprised to see people in england trying to sue the government (if thats even allowed there) for not maintaining the white lines properly, therefore contributing to the accident.
Old 01-31-06, 10:51 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

One day this will become the future of driving, and there will also be so many ways in covering your a$$ when coming into an accident, but in the meantime it's not fully complete and there are many loop holes in filing for a lawsuit, etc, etc....I enjoy driving, for the rest of the people save the headaches by taking a bus, or a taxi, better yet just get a ride in your friend's stock or modified Lexus!
Old 01-31-06, 01:00 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
So if Toyota and Honda get together we not only will have a car that parks itself, but drives itself too
I believe Toyota is the first to come up with this technology in JDM. Dunno why many reporters are ignoring this fact.

BTW I would love to have this feature in my car so that me and my significant other can settle into the backseats and not waste our time in the traffic (and be sent to heaven after that (pun intended)).

Last edited by XeroK00L; 01-31-06 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 01:04 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Kit's kids are finally here huh
Old 01-31-06, 03:11 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

i think the point of this technology is not to drive for you but to aid you when u need to grab a cd from the wallet or if u dropped something on the car mat and have to pick it up.
Old 01-31-06, 05:04 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
i think the point of this technology is not to drive for you but to aid you when u need to grab a cd from the wallet or if u dropped something on the car mat and have to pick it up.
You bring up a very good point. The system from Honda beeps every 10 seconds and requires you to give some sort of feedback to the steering wheel to stay active.
Old 02-01-06, 08:14 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

So another question.... since it requires u to touch the steering wheel every 10 seconds to make sure uyou're "still in control", what happens if someone does dose off? It deactivates the autopilot, and then you're really ****ed!!!