Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda pulls Web-search switcheroo with Pontiac

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 10:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Mazda pulls Web-search switcheroo with Pontiac

By Sharon Silke Carty, USA TODAY

The 2006 Pontiac Solstice, top, and the 2006 Mazda MX-5.
Top, Pontiac via AP; Bottom, Mazda

DETROIT — General Motors' marketing idea looks so hip and so cool: Instead of directing people to their local dealerships for more information at the end of TV commercials, they tell consumers to "Google Pontiac."

Which is great, except Mazda bought the words "Pontiac" and "Pontiac Solstice" as search-engine terms in its advertising efforts around the launch of the redesigned Mazda MX-5 two-seater sports car. So in addition to providing Pontiac ads, a Google search for Pontiac also provides ads that compare MX-5, also known as Miata, with the all-new Solstice.

Mazda says it was hoping to attract the attention of younger buyers who may have been considering Pontiac's brand-new two-seater, a direct rival to MX-5. Both Solstice and the redesigned MX-5 went on sale in August.

"They've been doing that for a while," Pontiac marketing director Mark-Hans Richer says of the Mazda ads. "We find it flattering that they'd like to take the market-share leader for the last 18 years and compare it to a newcomer. We think it's a wonderful comparison."

The ads appear in a column on the right side of the search page, offering links to Pontiac and Mazda sites. One link on the page is called MX5NoComparison.com.

Google allowed Mazda to purchase its competitor's brand name because Mazda's site includes a chart showing statistics about MX-5 vs. Solstice.

"We weren't concerned about what GM was doing. We were concerned with what the consumers were doing," says Don Romano, vice president of marketing for Mazda. "This is one of those great rivalries — two sports cars coming out — and we thought the best way to get our message out was to offer a comparison."

Mazda has the second-youngest average buyer of all brands, behind only Toyota's youth brand, Scion. Romano says Mazda will continue buying the rights to its competitors' brand names and will increasingly use more alternative modes of advertising. "What we're finding is that this younger demographic is not sitting in front of the television watching commercials," he says.

Despite Mazda's efforts, Solstice outsold MX-5 5,362 to 4,821 from September, when both were widely available, through December, according to Autodata.

source : usatoday
Old 02-01-06, 10:44 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Pontiac should google PWNED
Old 02-01-06, 11:23 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

I don't know if I'm more surprised that GM's legal team is letting Mazda use their name, or that GM sold more cars than Mazda did.

Originally Posted by Leets
Looks like Pontiac should google PWNED
Check the sales numbers, I think Mazda got PWNED on this one...

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Despite Mazda's efforts, Solstice outsold MX-5 5,362 to 4,821 from September, when both were widely available, through December, according to Autodata.
Old 02-01-06, 11:48 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I think it's great marketing from Mazda. Definitely going after their No.1 competitor to the venerable Miata. I think most people will buy the Solstice over the Miata for two reasons:

1. Good looks
2. It's exclusive....for now.

Most people who search for info on the internet will probably be able to find comparisons on their own so it might be just a waste of money.

The Solstice looks good topless, but sure is UGLY with that so called rag top. That roof would concern me over the years.
Old 02-02-06, 02:13 AM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the pontiac is garbage for one reason: The engine

I hear they are correcting that with higher models but im sure it will come at a price. I must admit when i first saw the pontiac in person I was impressed with what looked like quality materials, but i'd actually havto sit in one to tell if the interior was anywhere near as well built as an mx-5 which have impressed me in the last few years. The last miata I drove was the mazdaspeed version and that was one fun car. I doubt pontiac can match that mazda feel.