Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anone here in CL has a NSX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 07:51 AM
totrider
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anone here in CL has a NSX?

I was wondering how that car handles compare to an SC300/SC400 ?
Old 02-04-06, 08:10 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

NSX is one of the best handling sports cars. SC doesnt come close.
Old 02-04-06, 08:12 AM
Drukinfoolio
Pole Position

I love the way NSX feels and handles, it's one of those this things where you have to experience yourself. I have dirven an SC but own a GS400. I have to say compare to an SC it handles better, the corning is just awesome. Add some mods to it you have yourself one hell of a ride. But then again it is just me, other members that have one might say otherwise.
All I have to say is get into one and drive it for yourself. If you live near me I would let you drive mine.
Old 02-04-06, 10:58 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an NSX and a 93 SC400. There is no comparison. The NSX makes the SC400 feel like you are driving a boat. The SC is not even close.
Old 02-04-06, 11:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I have an NSX and a 93 SC400. There is no comparison. The NSX makes the SC400 feel like you are driving a boat. The SC is not even close.
agree, the nsx is a pure performance car man. the sc? i wonder even modded, it might still be at most comparable to the nsx? chris, any input?
Old 02-04-06, 11:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Several reasons for this. First, the NSX is mid-engined, putting the weight of the engine and powertrain behind the driver and driving the rear wheels ( the only U.S.-market Honda-Acura product to do so ), Second, the all-aluminum construction, while expensive to produce and difficult to repair, makes for light vehicle weight. Third, the extremely low stance and center of gravity makes for practically roll-free cornering. Fourth, the ultra-wide, ultra-low-profile dry-pavement tires ( and I DO mean DRY ) grip like on rails. Fifth, unlike nose-heavy FWD and RWD front-engine cars, the NSX's rearward-weight bias means a forward weight transfer on hard braking, that, like on rear-engined Porsches, places the center of gravity in the middle of the car and forces all four brakes and tires to do their equal share of the work...and the result is ultra-short Porsche 911-like stopping distances.
Old 02-04-06, 12:04 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
agree, the nsx is a pure performance car man. the sc? i wonder even modded, it might still be at most comparable to the nsx? chris, any input?

I'm sure you can get an SC to handle by the numbers as good as a stock NSX. The difference will be it will be very harsh IMHO. The NSX chassis is extremely stiff. It is easy to put the NSX on 4 jack stands, remove one of them and the car doesn't budge at all. On full lifts, if the lift itself is not level the NSX will actually rock. That is how stiff the chassis is. That being said, with the stock suspension the road manners of the car is very good. It does not feel harsh and soaks up bumps very well. If you were to throw all the aftermarket suspension on the SC, I think it will handle great, but feel extremely harsh. I only have polyurethane lower control arm bushings, and 17" rims with 45 series tires on the OEM SC suspension and it feels harsh even compared to my lowered NSX. The one thing you can't change is the steering feel and driving dynamics of the two cars. The SC in comparison will always feel and steer like a boat. Maybe the difference might be a stock SC feels and steers like a a luxury cruise ship while a modified SC feels and steers like a speed boat in comparison to the NSX. I've said it many times. IMHO, the Lexus steering feedback is not that great. It is perfect for a luxury car but way off for a sports car or even sports sedan.
Old 02-04-06, 12:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Several reasons for this. First, the NSX is mid-engined, putting the weight of the engine and powertrain behind the driver and driving the rear wheels ( the only U.S.-market Honda-Acura product to do so ), Second, the all-aluminum construction, while expensive to produce and difficult to repair, makes for light vehicle weight. Third, the extremely low stance and center of gravity makes for practically roll-free cornering. Fourth, the ultra-wide, ultra-low-profile dry-pavement tires ( and I DO mean DRY ) grip like on rails. Fifth, unlike nose-heavy FWD and RWD front-engine cars, the NSX's rearward-weight bias means a forward weight transfer on hard braking, that, like on rear-engined Porsches, places the center of gravity in the middle of the car and forces all four brakes and tires to do their equal share of the work...and the result is ultra-short Porsche 911-like stopping distances.

I agree. That is why in my post above I mentioned you can probably make an SC handle great judging by the numbers, but it will never feel or drive like the NSX in comparison.
For the tires though. Would you believe in comparison to many cars today they are not really wide or low profile. Arguably the stock 91-93 with the original (Pre lawsuit) alignment and 205/50/15 and 225/50/16 rims and tires handle the best. Even with the 215/45/16 and 245/40/17 rims and tires that is less agreesive than the IS350 optional sports package rims and tires. The 02+ does have wider tires, but they are still only 225 up front and 255 in the rear.
Old 02-04-06, 12:25 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

you also forgot to mention the propensitiy for NSX's to oversteer very easily..AMHIK.
Old 02-04-06, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, CK, that is a good point. Tires on even family sedans are getting more and more sports-car-like every year.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-04-06, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
you also forgot to mention the propensitiy for NSX's to oversteer very easily..AMHIK.
Almost any mid or rear-engine car is marginally unstable and has at least some oversteer tendencies. I have driven mid-engine Toyota MR2's that I noticed needed a lot of small steering corrections to stay in the middle of the lane on a straight stretch of road.

The oversteering problem was much worse in the past than it is today, with today's better suspensions, tires, steering racks, and traction control / stability systems. In the really old days with the swing-axle rear suspensions like 60's vintage VW Beetles and Chevy Corvairs, it could tuck the outside tire under and roll you over and kill you if you were not careful.

For years, though, even though Porsches generally didn't flip over, the 911 was notorious for doing 180's and swapping ends with drop-throttle snap oversteer ( lifting the throttle suddenly in the middle of a hard turn and letting the heavy tail swing around ) .

To address your post, yes, the NSX will do this under extreme conditions, but the stability system, wide tires, and modern even though 90's vintage engineering makes it very unlikely unless you really do something stupid. You can generally get in trouble with this car only if you really want to.....the tendency to oversteer, on this car, while significant, is a LONG way from old Porsche 911's. That is why I didn't make a big deal out of it when I posted previously.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-06 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-04-06, 12:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

At the limit the mid engine NSX may snap oversteer by its nature. However, with the NSX, oversteer is not really a concern under normal or even spirited driving. Not once ever did I let the rear end loose whether it be by accident or on purpose. I'm not one to purposely drift a car, but I do drive very spirited when I can. Never did I swing the rear out, but that is probably because I'm well below the limits of the car. On my BMW though I accidently put the car into oversteer many times. The rear alignment on the NSX has a great deal of toe in for rear stability. I know people read the magazines and read how easy it is for mid engines to snap oversteer, but IMHO, it is easier to loose the rear end on an SC400 than it is on an NSX. A lot of that has to do with how the NSX inspires confidence and the great deal amount of feedback the car gives you.
Old 02-04-06, 12:55 PM
cip
Pole Position

Totally agree.

I've owned 2 SC's and driven 2 NSX's. I've taken both cars in stock form to their respective limits including top speed. NSX @ 167MPH is still so rock solid you can take your hands off the wheel. The SC @ 149MPH while still rock solid, needs plenty of attention.

I remember taking the NSX on an off-ramp. In the SC I could take that turn at 50 - 55MPH, but the NSX took it @ 72 MPH...and as I kept accelerating, it just bit down harder!! The SC was purpose built to handle the daily commute & be trouble-free for years while providing almost as much luxury as the LS but still being viscerally 'fun'. The NSX on the other hand was purpose built to be a trouble-free sports car..and the effort (including the aluminum frame and mid-mount engine) shows it. If you have a chance to rent an NSX, do it, or if you have a buddy willing to let you drive it hard, do that too. Of note the NSX's I drove were the 97+ w/ 290HP & 6 speed, not the older 260HP & 5 speed.
Old 02-04-06, 01:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cip
Totally agree.

I've owned 2 SC's and driven 2 NSX's. I've taken both cars in stock form to their respective limits including top speed. NSX @ 167MPH is still so rock solid you can take your hands off the wheel. The SC @ 149MPH while still rock solid, needs plenty of attention.

I remember taking the NSX on an off-ramp. In the SC I could take that turn at 50 - 55MPH, but the NSX took it @ 72 MPH...and as I kept accelerating, it just bit down harder!! .
While my own driving is not exactly like Grandpa's, I have to say you have a lot more guts than I do. Speeds like that would scare the hell out of me.....even in an NSX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-06 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-04-06, 01:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

While my own driving is not exactly like Grandpa's, I have to say you have a lot more guts than I do. Speeds like that would scare the hell out of me.....even in an NSX.
I've never hit the top speed on the NSX. The fastest I've done was about 150 MPH It is pretty stable though. You really don't realize how fast it is. Looking out the windshield you know it is fast just by how quickly things change and come up upon you, but feel wise it doesn't feel all that fast at all. The car just starts to geel planted. Well, let me rephrase that. It still feels fast, but it feels totally in control. I've done about 130 in the SC and like cip mentioned it is like white knuckle driving in comparison.

Quick Reply: Anone here in CL has a NSX?