Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

had anyone rented a track before?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 06:54 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had anyone rented a track before?

Does anyone here know whether race tracks will rent out the track for a day to private individuals?

I was thinking of renting a race track for a group of friends somewhere in upstate NY or in CT so that a bunch of enthusiastic guys can just bring their cars and run in a track, in a much safer environment than going fast on the highways...

does anyone know how much they might cost ?
Old 02-05-06, 08:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by timoc42
Does anyone here know whether race tracks will rent out the track for a day to private individuals?

I was thinking of renting a race track for a group of friends somewhere in upstate NY or in CT so that a bunch of enthusiastic guys can just bring their cars and run in a track, in a much safer environment than going fast on the highways...

I guess it depends on the track but I have participated in track days that were rented by someone or a club and SELOC and GA3S are renting a track out for the first time for our first co-track meet this March.

Basically, we are not paying to rent it, once we have enough spectators to pay admission, which goes to the renting fee. If we do come up short, we have to make the difference.

Everything is included for us.
http://www.southeasttrackday.com/

Old 02-05-06, 09:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I have done it a few times for drag racing, while my buddy Michael with his RX-7 has gotten together with a few friends and rented out some of the circuit tracks here in Mexico. I always had a blast as did he.
Old 02-05-06, 02:31 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

thanks for the replies guys.

I thought it would be impossible for a private group of individuals to rent a track...

My idea is to rent a track in the northeast, either up-state new york, connecticut area, and get a bunch of friends together, share the cost and have fun.

I've contacted Lime Rock in Connecticut, but they have not replied. Does anyone else have any ideas on which tracks around Northeast would be good to test our cars and have some fun driving?
Old 02-05-06, 02:53 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Expect to pay close to 10,000 a day.

But you get what you pay for. 2 emergency crews on stand by. Plus insurance, plus track officials that have to be there, etc etc etc.
Old 02-06-06, 02:32 PM
st-187
Driver School Candidate

word ! as for tracks, try picking up an issue of GRM Grassroots Motorsportrs. That should give you a few good clues to what tracks are avaliable, and it seems that they mostly cater to you east coast guys, so you got a pretty good head start there. Good luck!
Old 02-07-06, 01:39 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

well guys,

lime rock race track in connecticut will cost about $15 to $20 thousand for a day ...
and every single weekend is booked for 2006!!

Looks like I can't have a track day this year ...
Old 02-07-06, 02:23 PM
LexFather

well guys,

lime rock race track in connecticut will cost about $15 to $20 thousand for a day ...
and every single weekend is booked for 2006!!

Looks like I can't have a track day this year ...
http://racetrackweather.com/html/clublist.htm

Old 02-08-06, 01:04 PM
st-187
Driver School Candidate

well if you guys are willing to come out here to California then I might be able to help you out. As a matter of fact, my buddie has a track day thing going on at Buttonwillow Raceway Park on the Third of March. and he has them every other month or so, good times!

Also if you plan ahead you might be able to get the track on a weekday? Weekend's are usually rented out to clubs racers way ahead of time

Last edited by st-187; 02-08-06 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 01:17 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by st-187
well if you guys are willing to come out here to California then I might be able to help you out. As a matter of fact, my buddie has a track day thing going on at Buttonwillow Raceway Park on the Third of March. and he has them every other month or so, good times!
even buttonwillow is $$$...have to pay for track rental, ambulance, helicopter, track officials, insurance, etc. ur best bet is to work with other groups to have your own "sessions"...
Old 02-08-06, 01:28 PM
st-187
Driver School Candidate

even buttonwillow is $$$...have to pay for track rental, ambulance, helicopter, track officials, insurance, etc. ur best bet is to work with other groups to have your own "sessions"...
Thats what I meant, he's already gone trough the trouble of renting out the track and all the ancillaries that come with it. all you need do is sign up and pay the whatever fee he charges, get teched and then get seat time. simple as Third grade Calculus