Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another Acura press release:Acura wants a stronger image (New York Newsday)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 02:54 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely agree that people cross-shopping the Accord and the TL is not what Honda wants. On the other hand, is it really such a bad thing? Some consumers want the additional power, luxury features, and customer service Acura provides. For them, the TL is a clear winner. Other people wonder why anyone would spend thousands more for what is basically the same car. For them, a base Accord is a good choice. Either way, Honda's got the sale.

Now in a perfect world (for Honda), buyers would cross-shop with OTHER brands, and decide the Honda offering is superior. I'm sure Honda would love for folks in the marketplace who are considering a 325i to realize that the TL is vastly superior in virtually every measure. The one thing it lacks, as 1SickLex notes, is snob appeal.

The open question is whether or not Acura is actually courting the snob appeal factor crowd anymore. I think of them like Coach handbags. The product is equivalent to or superior than anything put out by Louis Vuitton or Gucci, at a fraction of the cost. Yet Coach still has panache, with people looking at those little "C" handbags with envy. Acura just needs to boost their image somewhat while still maintaining their cemented position as the best value around for a premium product.
Old 02-08-06, 03:07 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Iceman
I definitely agree that people cross-shopping the Accord and the TL is not what Honda wants. On the other hand, is it really such a bad thing? Some consumers want the additional power, luxury features, and customer service Acura provides. For them, the TL is a clear winner. Other people wonder why anyone would spend thousands more for what is basically the same car. For them, a base Accord is a good choice. Either way, Honda's got the sale.

Now in a perfect world (for Honda), buyers would cross-shop with OTHER brands, and decide the Honda offering is superior. I'm sure Honda would love for folks in the marketplace who are considering a 325i to realize that the TL is vastly superior in virtually every measure. The one thing it lacks, as 1SickLex notes, is snob appeal.

The open question is whether or not Acura is actually courting the snob appeal factor crowd anymore. I think of them like Coach handbags. The product is equivalent to or superior than anything put out by Louis Vuitton or Gucci, at a fraction of the cost. Yet Coach still has panache, with people looking at those little "C" handbags with envy. Acura just needs to boost their image somewhat while still maintaining their cemented position as the best value around for a premium product.
I do agree with your Coach/LV analogy.

About cross-shopping, all car manufacturers would prefer to steal customers from the corporate competition. Moving up from Honda to Acura is what H/A execs want, sure, but I'd bet my house and life savings they'd MUCH prefer Lexus, Infiniti, BMW cross-shoppers.

There's only so much room in the upper echelons of the car market. Brand name is so important and I think Acura pretty much has to cede the "players'" market to the US luxury big three. This is not to say no one can or will come along and knock MB, BMW, or Lexus down from the upper tier, but I don't think Honda is a large enough company to do it (now or in the near future).
Old 02-08-06, 03:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I for one never understands the snob appeal of a 325, or even a 330. they're everywhere, almost as common as accords. There's no prestige in that for ANY brand, snob appeal has to come with more exclusivity AFAIC. Most who can afford to buy a TL can afford a 325 anyway, so what's so special about that LOL?
Old 02-08-06, 03:23 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I for one never understands the snob appeal of a 325, or even a 330. they're everywhere, almost as common as accords. There's no prestige in that for ANY brand, snob appeal has to come with more exclusivity AFAIC. Most who can afford to buy a TL can afford a 325 anyway, so what's so special about that LOL?
With the same options and features? I wouldn't say MOST could afford both equally well, but I also wouldn't say anything about that because I don't know what the average income-to-debt ratio is for most purchasers.

BMW and MB are the most prestigious car brands when we're speaking consumer luxury (i.e., not real, exclusive luxury like RR). It's kinda like Starbucks vs. 7-11 coffee: Everyone and their mother drinks Starbucks, but you still look a little wealthier holding your Starbucks cup if you're standing next to someone like me with their 7-11 cup in hand...
Old 02-08-06, 03:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
With the same options and features? I wouldn't say MOST could afford both equally well, but I also wouldn't say anything about that because I don't know what the average income-to-debt ratio is for most purchasers.

BMW and MB are the most prestigious car brands when we're speaking consumer luxury (i.e., not real, exclusive luxury like RR). It's kinda like Starbucks vs. 7-11 coffee: Everyone and their mother drinks Starbucks, but you still look a little wealthier holding your Starbucks cup if you're standing next to someone like me with their 7-11 cup in hand...
Why, I preffer dunkin donuts lattes personally - 7/11 coffees suck, and starbucks, while ok, are not as good as dunkin donuts.
Old 02-08-06, 03:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I know & yes a loaded 325 may cost more than a loaded TL, the difference won't be too significant if you finance or lease them, but what I find stupid is that some people would take a sparsely optioned 325 over a loaded TL just for snob appeal (& not for anything else).
I drive a Lexus, but I can afford the vast majority of the Mercedes models with the exception of the top end model AMG's & V12's & I don't see why if I drive an MB, that makes me look & feel richer

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-08-06 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 03:37 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Why, I preffer dunkin donuts lattes personally - 7/11 coffees suck, and starbucks, while ok, are not as good as dunkin donuts.
You're not doing it right. 12 oz cup, filled with regular to near the top. Two hazelnut creamers, two sugar packets, stir, and you're good to go with delicious coffee goodness.
Old 02-08-06, 03:38 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

I know & yes a loaded 325 may cost more than a loaded TL, the difference won't be too significant if you finance or lease them, but what I find stupid is that some people would take a sparsely optioned 325 over a loaded TL just for snob appeal (& not for anything else).
I drive a Lexus, but I can afford the vast majority of the Mercedes models with the exception of the top end model AMG's & V12's & I don't see why if I drive an MB makes me look & feel richer
That's because of the value of the brand appeal. There are a lot of superficial people out there...
Old 02-08-06, 03:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

You're not doing it right. 12 oz cup, filled with regular to near the top. Two hazelnut creamers, two sugar packets, stir, and you're good to go with delicious coffee goodness.
No, I cant stand sugar and any flavors in my coffee. I get latte or cappuccino, no sugar - smooth as silk.
Old 02-11-06, 08:22 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I drive a Lexus, but I can afford the vast majority of the Mercedes models with the exception of the top end model AMG's & V12's & I don't see why if I drive an MB, that makes me look & feel richer
Lady in my office ended up with a 325ix over a TL a year and half ago. Refused to pay list for the TL - so she drove the BMW and one drive was all it took. What a car.
Old 02-11-06, 08:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Lady in my office ended up with a 325ix over a TL a year and half ago. Refused to pay list for the TL - so she drove the BMW and one drive was all it took. What a car.
Yeah, but on the other end for me one drive of a 325 was all that it took to never consider a BMW ever. What a POS.
Old 02-11-06, 10:49 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, but on the other end for me one drive of a 325 was all that it took to never consider a BMW ever. What a POS.
Yep, to each his own. To some people the way a car handles and performs is most important, to others, well... I guess other things are more important.
Old 02-11-06, 02:30 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

If the handling and performance of a 325i impress someone, then they deserve the middle-of-the-road mediocrity that they get.
Old 02-11-06, 03:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

If the handling and performance of a 325i impress someone, then they deserve the middle-of-the-road mediocrity that they get.
LOL, well said.
Old 02-11-06, 03:48 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

A BMW 325i with a MT and sports package will outhandle >95% of the cars on the road.

Quick Reply: Another Acura press release:Acura wants a stronger image (New York Newsday)