Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to Get That New-Car Test Drive ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 03:20 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Get That New-Car Test Drive ??

Tip No. 1: Do not lie to the salesman. Not about anything. First off, the salesman will know. He's heard every lie ever invented by man or beast, maybe 200 times a week. Also, it's completely unnecessary—it affects the eventual price of your car not one whit. But there's a far more important reason not to lie. Once he catches a customer fibbing to him, the average salesman feels justified in lying right back.

"People lie about the dumbest stuff," says Mercedes salesman. "They'll boast about all the Benzes they've owned, like a 1984 supercharged Gullwing so-and-so with 25-inch dubs or something equally crazy. I always think to myself, Why the hell did we just go through that little piece of fantasy? Where did it get us? It's like lying to your plumber about which toilet is leaking." A lot of customers lie to salesmen from the git-go because they think it'll somehow demonstrate their take-no-prisoners attitude when it comes to negotiating the car's price. "Tell me," asks Brueger, "exactly how does that work?"

Tip No. 2: Before he'll give you a car to test, a salesman will, at a minimum, demand to see your driver's license, and he may also want to know your home phone number and where you work. If you're defensive about any of this, he's unlikely to let you test a car alone. Freely divulge everything, and also offer the insurance slip on the car you just drove onto the lot. That document gives the salesmen a few more clues about who you are, and it at least demonstrates you're legally able to title a new car in your own name in that state. A Porsche salesman we talked to insists that his test-driving customers sign a loaner agreement before taking a car. Do it.

And here's another reason not to lie to a salesman. Dealerships increasingly use a Wilson Technologies scanner to run your license, just like the cops. If you have a history of vehicular mayhem, or if you've been convicted of fraud, or if your license is restricted in any way, the salesman will know—in about 10 seconds.

Tip No. 3: The surest way to get a long, meaningful solo test drive is to make the salesman comfortable. Assure him that (a) you're not a thief, (b) you're not out for a joy ride, and (c) you're actually in the market for the car you're asking to drive.

"If a guy wants to test, say, a V-6 Camry, every salesman will ask, 'Okay, so what other cars have you looked at?'" says Toyota salesman Glenn Gottfried. "And if that customer doesn't immediately say, 'Well, I'm also thinking about an Accord, a Sonata, a Stratus'—you know, if he can't name a few competing models in the class—then he's not serious or he's got some secret agenda. Which makes me nervous. And if I'm nervous, he's not taking a car off my lot. A guy who bares his soul is the guy who gets all the favors. He's the guy who comes in, shakes my hand, isn't defensive or combative, and says, 'I've driven these four cars, I want to purchase one in the next 10 days, I like the Accord and the Sonata the most—had a Taurus that I hated—but I'd prefer to buy a Camry if it had a better ride, a nicer stereo, and didn't cost me $750 extra. Can you make that happen?' That guy is a buyer. That guy gets any test drive he wants. I can't use any of that information against him—all I can do is put him in a car most likely to satisfy him. So, why don't we all try to get to that point as fast as possible?"

Tip No. 4: If you go to a dealership that imposes strict prohibitions regarding test drives—no deviations from prescribed routes, for instance, or mandatory ride-along salesmen—then go ahead and take the test drive anyway and drive like a perfect angel. When you return to the dealership, sip a Coke for 10 minutes, then go back to the salesman and say, "I really, really like that car. Would you mind if I drive it once more, this time alone?"

"Once I've ridden with a guy and know he's not a maniac and I have a feel for his motives, I'll always grant the second [solo] drive," says Gottfried. "Always. And then if he's gone for 30 or 45 minutes, I won't sweat it." Six other veteran salesmen, including one at a Porsche store, told us the same. Four others promised this: If a customer comes back a day or two later and says, "Since I last saw you, I've driven X, Y, and Z, but now I can't remember what your car drove like," the dealership won't hesitate to hand him the keys. "We call those 'be-backs,'" explains BMW new-car dealer Joe Gilmour. "Salesmen love be-backs. He's the guy I'll let take a car home for a night. We call that the 'puppy-dog close.' You take a cute puppy home, you fall in love with it."

Tip No. 5: Show up looking like you're serious—wearing slacks and a nice shirt or blouse—and show up in the car you plan to trade or in the nicest car you own. "There's this weird urban myth," says Brueger, "that if you look like a homeless person, I'll go easier on you when it comes time to negotiate. How does that make sense? For one thing, if you look like you can't afford a new car, I'm gonna require a lot more information before I toss you the keys. I'll still give you a test drive, it's just gonna take longer to get there. And I like having the collateral of seeing a nice, late-model car parked in front of the showroom while you're out testing my car. Whether you know it or not, every salesman has a kind of five-minute secret interrogation he conducts to qualify a guy for a drive. Me, the first thing I notice is his shoes and wristwatch. The second thing I notice is the address on his license. Veteran salesmen know almost every street in town, and they know the size of the houses on those streets. So don't pull the 'I'm just a poor slob' routine."

Tip No. 6: Do not have someone drop you off at a dealership and expect a test drive. Do not walk to a dealership and expect a test drive. Do not arrive with a spouse who doesn't want to ride along on the test drive—all three are tactics used by thieves who drive away cars forever.

Do not tell a salesman you want to take a test drive "to kill a little time before a movie." Do not tell a salesman, "This car isn't for me—I'm just testing it for someone else." Do not expect a test drive if you've had a beer at lunch and the salesman can smell it. If you're male, do not expect a test drive if you take along a male buddy. "Men try to impress each other," notes Brueger. "I once let two guys test a 7-series. They made it about two blocks before they rolled the thing in front of a nice restaurant."

Tip No. 7: If you go to the dealership with a spouse, decide beforehand who's going to test the car and who's going to conduct financial negotiations. It makes the salesman more comfortable—and saves time—if the driver and the negotiator are the same person.

Tip No. 8: If you're granted a drive and the salesman rides along, tell him what you're going to do before you do it. Say to him, "I'm gonna accelerate a little briskly from this light. Is that okay?" Tell him, "There's no one behind me, can I try a panic stop from 15 mph?"

Says BMW's Gilmour, "My rule of thumb is, as long as you warn me first, and as long as nothing you do attracts attention from other motorists, I'm cool with it."

"The real secret is to work up to speed," says Brueger. "Start out like you're my grandma and show me you're competent and careful. Then, by the end of the test, I'll let you do some pretty wild stuff."

"I was on a drive with a guy on a freeway," recalls Toyota's Gottfried, "and he deliberately missed two exits that I asked him politely to take. It scared me to death. I thought he was gonna kill me, then take the car. That's not uncommon, you know."

"One big thing for me," adds Gilmour, "is the difference between testing a car and abusing it. Speed doesn't bother me, but abuse does. Drive the car like it belongs to your wife. The second time you smoke the tires away from a light, I'm gonna say, 'Jeez, whoever buys this car, you just cost him 200 miles.'"

Tip No. 9: Don't hesitate to ask a salesman to be quiet while you drive. "In fact, I prefer a guy who concentrates on what the car is doing and what traffic is doing," says Gilmour. "When a driver gets chatty and happy, then we're just cruising. That's a joy ride. Man, I hate joy rides."

Tip No. 10: If you're granted a test drive, do not turn on the car's radio or fiddle with its nav system. Mess around with the electronics while you're parked in the lot, not while racking up miles.

Never take your hands off the wheel "to see how she tracks."

If you're male and are overly "friendly" with a saleswoman, she'll ask a salesman to ride along as protection, and that guy will make a point of ensuring your test drive is as brief as humanly possible.

"And if you answer your cell phone during a test," adds Brueger, "then I know you're bull****ting me. I'm offended when a guy asks me to prove the worth of my products and then takes that opportunity to chat with the guy fixing his lawn mower."

Tip No. 11: If you're having trouble getting a decent test drive, offer to fill out a "buyer's order," the document that includes all your particulars and the sticker price of the car. This document isn't legally binding, and you don't have to complete the last line, which states the car's negotiated price. But if a salesman is waffling about whether you deserve a solo test drive, he can take a completed buyer's order to his boss. That has the effect of proving you're serious, and if you wrap up the car on the drive, it also shifts some of the blame onto the general manager. Again, the goal is the same—make the salesman comfortable, and you'll get what you want.

Tip No. 12: After a brief test, be genuinely honest (but not arrogant) about any complaints or reservations you have, because it may earn you a second, longer drive. "Last week a guy said to me, 'I'm worried that these tires are so quick to squeal, and I'm not entirely comfortable with the driving position,'" recalls Ford salesman Mark Davis. "And I told him, 'That's because these are M+S-rated tires. But I have this same car, except with 17-inch Bridgestone Potenzas and electrically adjustable pedals—how 'bout you try that one?'"

Tip No. 13: If it's a rare or particularly expensive car you want to test, visit the dealership first to "qualify" and expect to return later to drive. "Obviously, testing a Cobalt is no problem," explains Chevrolet sales manager Eric Gilliam, "but testing a Corvette Z06 or a Cadillac CTS-V is. Even huge dealerships may have only one in stock, and it may be sitting in the showroom. I don't mind getting it out for you, but I can't do it at the drop of a hat."

Tip No. 14: To derive the most productive test, select a dealership out in the sticks. Traffic is less dense there, and the showroom is more likely to be near twisty country roads that will allow a more revealing test. Just as important, pick a dealership in an affluent suburb, where crime rates are low. The salesmen who come into the least contact with crooks are the salesmen most likely to trust you for solo test drives.

Tip No. 15: "It's okay to treat me like a jerk, but only if I treat you like a jerk first," says Ford salesman Davis. "Otherwise, leave your ego and prejudices about car salesmen at home. If we immediately get into mortal combat, why should I be keen on giving you a lenient test drive? Plus, the real kicker is this: If you do buy the car, the price you finally pay will be the same as if we treated each other like long-lost buds. I mean, what's the point? Save yourself the Rolaids."
Old 02-06-06, 03:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Damn, thats a lot of tips. LOL. Should ask MMarshall how he does it. It seems like he test drives a different car everyday.
Old 02-06-06, 03:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very funny tips and i think it's a pretty good read indeed!
Old 02-06-06, 04:32 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good stuff right there. Very funny by the way.
Old 02-06-06, 04:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Those pictures are priceless Lexwang.

Reminds me of the time back in 1992 when my dad and I went to testdrive a Toyota Landcruiser. We went to 4 dealerships and everyone said the same thing, you don't test drive them, you buy them, now how many would you like. What arrogance. Turns out there was a huge waiting list for these things. Finally, one of my dad's college buddies had a dealership and agreed to let him drive one out that they were prepping and checking out for a customer who was going to pick it up the following day. We ended up not getting it.

Sometimes, I go along for testdrives with friends who are looking to buy. I remember the time at the Volvo dealership down here with the XC90. No sharp turns no high speeds, just nice, polite drive, which proved absolutely nothing about the vehicle. We then went next door to Range Rover and any vehicle we wanted to try, we could do whatever we wanted (they pride themselves on them being workhorse), but any tickets we got during the test drive that was your problem. Sure, their vehicles cost a lot, but I like the fact that Range Rover wanted to make sure you throughly enjoyed it.

Perhaps one of the stupidest adventures was to one of the BMW dealership here. We went looking at MiniCoopers. The guy would not even show my friend and I the Mini. He also did not even know what Lexus was (as we took my car over there) and kept insisiting that it was illegal for me to have my Lexus here (I have a permit to bring it into Mexico) and that I had to buy a car down here. What an idiot. I finally complained to a friend who works at BMW, and he had the guy fired in two days.
Old 02-06-06, 05:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Good read, most of them do make some sense.
Do not walk to a dealership and expect a test drive.
I actually did walk into a dealership once & tried to asked for a test drive of the Nissan Murano. I had my Lexus with me but it was parked in the lot of the shopping mall across the street out of view, where my gf & her friends were shopping & I was to meet them back there later on. I inquired the salesman about the Murano, I was interested in trying the CVT on the car. He asked me what car I was driving & whether I am trading it for the Murano. I told him I have an Acura CL-S (which is the car I had before the G35c) & I want to trade it in if I decide to get the Murano, but that I didn't have it with me.

He answered a lot of my questions about the Murano , but he would not let me test drive the car after I asked , he suggested I bring in the CL-S for him to evaluate for trade & then he can let me test drive it. Obviously he saw me walked into the dealeship without a car, so that's likely the reason he refused to give me a test drive.

I didn't pushed further, & left with just a brochure. But later on when we're leaving the mall, I drove pass the front of the dealership in my SC430, & saw the salesman I just talked to standing in front of the dealership chatting with a colleague , so I made sure to wave at him, smiled & said see you later . . . I never went back . . . . . .
Old 02-06-06, 05:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I used to live in the DC area and I remember going to a Mercedes dealer to test drive that C230 coupe. His eyes lit up when he saw my prestigious zip code, and then asked me, so you live in....

He left me have a solo test drive and even let me keep my license (of course after making copies) right in front of me. Could never see out the back properly in that thing, so I was not interested.
Old 02-06-06, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
. Should ask MMarshall how he does it. It seems like he test drives a different car everyday.
This is a complex subject and I could write a whole book about it but in a nutshell, salespeople like to spend time with me because I come across as mature and experienced and they learn about the product from me even if I don't buy from them or that dealership. I often show them things about the vehicle they didn't know themselves....and vice-versa, of course. I sometimes have to learn, too. For instance, the first time I drove a car with steering-wheel mounted shift buttons....a 2000 Celica.....I couldn't figure how to upshift it until the salesman showed me the hidden buttons on the BACK side of the steering wheel. I encountered the same system when I bought my Lexus IS300, but by then of course I knew how to use it.
Most of the time, though, I look at a vehicle more for other people than for myself.....either one or more CL members has expressed an interest in it, had questions about it, requested me to look at it, or someone else I know outside the forum has. And though there are good honest people in the buisness like Liz ( Asian Girl ) I have seen and heard a LOT of bulls ** t from salespeople.....too much.......and I would rather go examine the car myself and do an honest write-up on it than watch someone inexperienced go into a showroom and get suckered into buying something by a bunch of smooth-talkers that may or may not be the best vehicle for him / her. That happened to a neighbor of mine on a deal I was not there with...he ended up buying a more expensive Altima ( SE ) model because he did not even know....or bother to ask...if there was a less expensive version ( the XE ) and the salesman did not even bother to mention that....he naturally wanted to sell a more upscale Altima model with more profit. After he found out ( after the sale ) he told me he wished I was there. Fortunately there was not a huge price difference between the two models at the time......maybe $1500-2000.
If a salesperson is nice, outgoing, and appears to be honest, it will not be a waste of their time either.....I will recommend him or her to others....and sometimes that person will have made a new friend.....or at least a good acquaintance. The guy I bought my new Outback from last August was a guy I was VERY impressed with from prior experience....my brother had dealt with him, and he treated two of my neighbors extremely well when they ( on my recommendation ) also bought new cars from him. So I had no qualms about buying from him myself.
Last, I want to make clear that I do NOT accept referral money from salespeople ( though I have been offered it more than once ). I don't believe in that and don't operate that way....I have a good job and investments and, while not ultra-rich, make good money without gimmicks like this. I recommend vehicles and salespeople strictly on their worth.
And, of course, I am not the last word on auto reviews either. There are other people here at CL who I consider to be more knowledgeable than I am.....1SICKLEX and RON430 are two good examples. There are many other good sources too.....Edmunds, Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Consumer Guide, etc...

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-06 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-06-06, 07:22 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

NIce tips. I'll be using a different approach for my next new TOY haha.,

Old 02-07-06, 04:48 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Decent advice, but very clearly written from the salesperson's point of view. Why should the whole transaction happen for THEIR benefit? After all, I'm the guy who's gonna drop somehwere in the five figures, and there are a hundred other dealerships out there who will be glad to have my money.

I like best the rule of thumb that was taught to me in a government contracting class. When negotiating a contract (and you can think of a car purchase the same way), if you could be on the other side of the transaction and STILL be happy, then it's a good deal. Why don't more car salespeople think of it this way?