Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoweek on IS350 vs. BMW 330i (merged threads, 56K go shovel some snow))

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 12:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400

I've never driven a BMW, but heard they're not as smooth or comfortable as Lexus. A BMW provides an increase confindence in steering handling/feel with the road; how this compromises luxury is perhaps defined differently between BMW and Lexus.
It is not the nature of BMW but more to do with the sports suspension and runflat tires, or lower profile tires. Reviewers of the IS350 equiped with the sports suspension and runflats had the same comments about it being harsh, even more than the 330 with sports suspension. Now, that is a subjective thing as different roads that it was tested on, and different drivers will feel different things. That said though, either car can feel a little stiff or harsh on the road with the sports suspension.
Old 02-13-06, 12:39 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Nice... Very nice. I agree.

I too don't understand how Lexus IS350 can come out on top in majority of the catagories tested and get voted behind a BMW 330i just because of the "driving experience" objective or rather perspective difference.
What are the majority of categories are you talking about? Just curious. Fromn most of the tests I've read, the only performance test in which the IS350 beats the 330i in is the acceleration tests (0-60 and 1/4 miles). The 330 beats it in everything else. Not by much in some cases, but still puts out better numbers. Interior and exterior look and feel are subjective. Both look good too me and I have no problem buying either. In terms of interior space, the 330i beats the IS in most areas as well. Anyway, I think you have it backwards where the 330 beats it in the majority of categories, but the IS350 wins out in the categorires that Lexus buyers hold to be more importenet.
Old 02-13-06, 12:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Exactly, which is why I believe that 80% or so of automatic 325 drivers buy these cars not for the performance, but for the badge. If they gave up as much as the manual tranny sure they can give up a little bit of steering feel, which is subjective in the first place.
Those 325 buyers would be the same buyers that buy the IS250 since they are not into performance as you say and the IS350 is too expensive and has too much performance that they don't need. Given that, the 325 by the numbers simply blow away the IS250. Personally, I'd choose neither the 325 nor the IS250 as both don't have enough performance for me.

This argument that the majority of 3 series buyers buying automatic 325s doesn't make any sense when we are talking about the 330i and the IS350. The majority of buyers are buying automatic IS250s as well, so what is the point? Should we just stop comparing the 330i and IS350 and just start comparing the 325 and IS250 only?

Last edited by CK6Speed; 02-13-06 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 12:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Those 325 buyers would be the same buyers that but the IS250 since they are not into performance as you say and the IS350 is too expensive and has too much performance that they don't need. Given that, the 325 by the numbers simply blow away the IS250. Personally, I'd choose neither the 325 nor the IS250 as both don't have enough performance for me.

This argument that the majority of 3 series buyers buying automatic 325s doesn't make any sense when we are talking about the 330i and the IS350. The majority of buyers are buying automatic IS250s as well, so what is the point? Should we just stop comparing the 330i and IS350 and just start comparing the 325 and IS250 only?

The IS250 is meh, the only good thing about it is the AWD option, but it's in a dire need of more *****. And just as you would, if it came down to IS250 vs 325, as they are in the same price bracket, I would chose neither and drive away in a g35.

And if I understand your correctly, you are saying the 325 and IS250 buyers are NOT into performance, so what is a good reason to buy the 325 over IS250? IS250 is far more luxorious. Or why not just get a TL or G35, they are both in the same price bracket and offer way more.

I still say it's the badge.

Last edited by Och; 02-13-06 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 12:58 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
The IS250 is meh, the only good thing about it is the AWD option, but it's in a dire need of more *****. And just as you would, if it came down to IS250 vs 325, as they are in the same price bracket, I would chose neither and drive away in a g35.
You see, that is a good argument. I too would probably choose the G35 or more likely an M35 over those two cars. But at least that comparison is more fair and comparable than say comparing a G35 to a Lexus GS430. All I'm saying is keep the comparisons fair and equal. If we are going to talk about the lower end car, the critique should apply to the lower end car of the other brand as well if they have one.
Old 02-13-06, 01:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You see, that is a good argument. I too would probably choose the G35 or more likely an M35 over those two cars. But at least that comparison is more fair and comparable than say comparing a G35 to a Lexus GS430. All I'm saying is keep the comparisons fair and equal. If we are going to talk about the lower end car, the critique should apply to the lower end car of the other brand as well if they have one.
Well, I agree with you, except for the fact that lower model BMW usually costs as much or more than upper model Infiniti and Acura, and sometimes even Lexus. And even with Lexus, when you are shelling out the same as for BMW, the IS250 vs 325, IS350 vs 330, you get way more than the BMW in the luxury department.

But in any case, the reason I'm even bringing up automatic 325, which is probably the best selling BMW, is just to show that most BMW buyers are not necessary shopping for performance, which leads me into conclusion that they are simply buying the badge.
Old 02-13-06, 01:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

By the way, in the particular tread I'm not even trying to say that IS350 is a better car than 330, to me they both have too many cons to consider either. In the case of IS350 its the lack of manual tranny and lack of AWD, which the 330 offers, but in the 330 its the cheap interior, questionable reliability and ridicolous price tag. In fact, if the IS350 and 330 were the only two cars in the world, I'd most likely opt for the 330 mostly because of AWD (but I maybe under the effect of two feet of snow that we got over the weekend). But given the choice, I'd rather be driving GS300awd, G35x or m35x. But for someone who can live without AWD, the IS350 is probably the best choice.

I'm just trying to argue that the 3 series in particular, regardless of trim, is not all that and a bag of chips, and that not all 3 series buyers are necessary performance enthusiasts. But all in all, my biggest problem with the 3 series is the price tag - cut it by 20% and I wont have issues with it.

Last edited by Och; 02-13-06 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 01:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
By the way, in the particular tread I'm not even trying to say that IS350 is a better car than 330, to me they both have too many cons to consider either. In the case of IS350 its the lack of manual tranny and lack of AWD, which the 330 offers, but in the 330 its the cheap interior, questionable reliability and ridicolous price tag. In fact, if the IS350 and 330 were the only two cars in the world, I'd most likely opt for the 330 mostly because of AWD (but I maybe under the effect of two feet of snow that we got over the weekend). But given the choice, I'd rather be driving GS300awd, G35x or m35x. But for someone who can live without AWD, the IS350 is probably the best choice.

I'm just trying to argue that the 3 series in particular, regardless of trim, is not all that and a bag of chips, and that not all 3 series buyers are necessary performance enthusiasts. But all in all, my biggest problem with the 3 series is the price tag - cut it by 20% and I wont have issues with it.
This I can agree with. No car is perfect too me. Every car is a compromise. Take out the subjectiveness between the 330 and IS350 and both cars are pretty close to each other. The BMW will have the edge in the over all performance and driving dynamics, the IS350 will have the edge in the value and reliability. It comes down to what the individual wants in his/her car. For me, BMW makes the better luxury sports sedan, and Lexus makes the better luxury sedan.
Old 02-13-06, 01:49 PM
Penforhire
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you've priced BMW's lately. The 3-series is competitive price-wise. They're not getting any real premium over other brands. The IS350 MSRP, optioned how I wanted it, was within $2K of the 330i's loaded MSRP. And BMW will knock more off e90 MSRP than Lexus will on the IS, any remaining difference in price isn't worth crying about. Are you saying the IS350, A4 3.2, TL etcetera cost too much? I don't figure you can pick on the e90 3-series for price.
Old 02-13-06, 01:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire
I don't think you've priced BMW's lately. The 3-series is competitive price-wise. They're not getting any real premium over other brands. The IS350 MSRP, optioned how I wanted it, was within $2K of the 330i's loaded MSRP. And BMW will knock more off e90 MSRP than Lexus will on the IS, any remaining difference in price isn't worth crying about. Are you saying the IS350, A4 3.2, TL etcetera cost too much? I don't figure you can pick on the e90 3-series for price.
if 2k isnt a lot, then every car is priced the same :-).
Old 02-13-06, 02:48 PM
Penforhire
Rookie

If $42K to $44K MSRP difference, say a $500 difference after negotiation on each, is a lot then you shouldn't be shopping either car! $2K is in the "noise" of options you can't get on one car or the other.
Old 02-13-06, 04:48 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
And if I understand your correctly, you are saying the 325 and IS250 buyers are NOT into performance, so what is a good reason to buy the 325 over IS250? IS250 is far more luxorious. Or why not just get a TL or G35, they are both in the same price bracket and offer way more.

I still say it's the badge.
You forget that BMWs hold their value better than any car out there (interesting eh?). So the lease price of a BMW is often very attractive. The lady in my office is driving a 325ix ($38K) for less per month than any of the competition at the time. So sticker prices do not always tell the full story.

With regards to the mags and the comparos, all I can say is that I am in agreement with them. Does that make me an enthusiast? Yes, probably. To me, my GS430 is a boat - it has a big engine without the chassis to keep up. The 5-series on the other hand is just a joy to drive - and yes, I feel very confident in it. To me, steering feel and handing were paramount in my decision to go back to BMW. Oh yea, a 62% residual after 3 years and 36K didn't hurt either (note the numbers are even higher for the 3-series).

edit - sorry, "better than any luxury car out there".

edit - forgot to answer your question...
The IS250 rear seat is too small for a lot of people, the G35 dash/interior turns a lot of people off, and the TL is FWD and does not come close to the driving dynamics (unless you get the yummy A-Spec)

Last edited by doug_999; 02-13-06 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 09:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Another win for the 3 series is the engine sound/feel - it's unmatched. Hate to say it but both the Lexus and Infiniti V6s tend to sound/feel almost tinny or something - I know they're not, they're awesome engines, but the sound/feel of the venerable BMW inline-6 is just sublime.

The devil's in the details... But those details include more than just an engine - the 3 series interior looks like a turd compared to the new IS.
Old 02-14-06, 07:44 AM
LexFather

Great Taste!!
Less Filling!!!

Old 02-14-06, 09:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Another win for the 3 series is the engine sound/feel - it's unmatched. Hate to say it but both the Lexus and Infiniti V6s tend to sound/feel almost tinny or something - I know they're not, they're awesome engines, but the sound/feel of the venerable BMW inline-6 is just sublime.
The exhaust note on the G35 coupe is awesome !! Nothing comparable outside the supercars/exotics

Quick Reply: Autoweek on IS350 vs. BMW 330i (merged threads, 56K go shovel some snow))