Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoweek on IS350 vs. BMW 330i (merged threads, 56K go shovel some snow))

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 10:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire
I don't think you've priced BMW's lately. The 3-series is competitive price-wise. They're not getting any real premium over other brands. The IS350 MSRP, optioned how I wanted it, was within $2K of the 330i's loaded MSRP. And BMW will knock more off e90 MSRP than Lexus will on the IS, any remaining difference in price isn't worth crying about. Are you saying the IS350, A4 3.2, TL etcetera cost too much? I don't figure you can pick on the e90 3-series for price.
BMW charges you 2000 dollars (retarded) for leather and metallic paint so i see the MSRP as 40k, that would put the features it in line with a base IS350 which is 36ish, not competitive to me
Old 02-14-06, 12:51 PM
Penforhire
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want a "base" IS and I can't imagine most people want the base model.
Old 02-14-06, 01:37 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch

Loaded IS350 = $44,800
Loaded 330i = $46,220

The 330i was built without Active Cruise or Active Steering (AFIK Lexus has no equal), but does include BMW Assist that is $750.00. So taking that away and you have a net difference of $670.00.

Remember that the BMW does come with free maintenance for four years, so you'd be hard pressed to say the IS350 has a price advantage.

I've tried many times to get the two cars as close as possible to each other, but there are some major differences that you just can't avoid. For example. If you get the sports package on the BMW, it is similar to the Lexus sports package in that you get a stiffer lower stance suspension and 18" rims, but you don't get the upgraded sports seats and steering wheel in the Lexus as you do in the BMW. The Lexus has VDIM which BMW only has DSC, so it really is hard to get them close because people will always value something higher than the other. BMW has so many options that it is posible to get the price of the car high, but compable to each other they are pretty close IMHO. Around a $2000 difference between each car wouldn't automatically make me choose the cheaper one. It is the price out the door that counts.
Old 02-14-06, 01:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire
I didn't want a "base" IS and I can't imagine most people want the base model.
doesnt change the fact that you are charged $1500 for leather and $500 for metallic paint for something that the lexus comes with, that changes the starting prices of the BMW. Oh yea they charge $1200 for the automatic

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-14-06 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 02:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
You forget that BMWs hold their value better than any car out there (interesting eh?). So the lease price of a BMW is often very attractive. The lady in my office is driving a 325ix ($38K) for less per month than any of the competition at the time. So sticker prices do not always tell the full story.

With regards to the mags and the comparos, all I can say is that I am in agreement with them. Does that make me an enthusiast? Yes, probably. To me, my GS430 is a boat - it has a big engine without the chassis to keep up. The 5-series on the other hand is just a joy to drive - and yes, I feel very confident in it. To me, steering feel and handing were paramount in my decision to go back to BMW. Oh yea, a 62% residual after 3 years and 36K didn't hurt either (note the numbers are even higher for the 3-series).

edit - sorry, "better than any luxury car out there".
Well, I guess it might be the case with lease, but I don't think long term car buyers analyze used car values all that much. In any case, its a good point and a good reason to buy a BMW for some, not so important for others.

edit - forgot to answer your question...
The IS250 rear seat is too small for a lot of people, the G35 dash/interior turns a lot of people off, and the TL is FWD and does not come close to the driving dynamics (unless you get the yummy A-Spec)
I agree with IS back seat, however the IS has quite a bit more space in the front, where the 3 series is very tight. I'm 6'4 and I felt very crimpled in it, and the IS is nice and confortable. Given the nature of both cars, both being driver oriented, I value the front space moreso than the back seat. In fact, the IS is more of a coupe in a sedans body. But overall, the G35 and TL are more spacious than both IS and the 3 series.

And while the G35's dashboard isn't up to par with Lexus, in my opinion the 3 series is just as bad, and the G35 has better seats, wayyyyyy more power and better price. It hold value very well too.

And the TL, yes, it doesn't have quite the same dynamics, but it handles and accelerates just as well as G35 and much better than 325, its interior is much better than both G35 and 3 series, but not quite Lexus, and the price tag is great. It's also very spacious compared to the rest except G35, they are about even.
Old 02-14-06, 02:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

As far as the price goes, yes, the 3 series are on par with IS as far as price goes, but with the Lexus you get much better interior and overall quality.

As far as G35 and TL, they are not as good as Lexus, with the TL still being much better than 3 series and the G35 somewhere on par with 3 series, but they are a lot cheaper.
Old 02-14-06, 06:40 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

The IS interior is beautiful, but let's be serious here, the G35 interior is no where near as refined as the 3-series. A lot of people don't like the looks of it - but if you get in an E90 3-series, the dash is actually very functional and the trim is perfect. Contrast that with the G35 which still has the video game look to it (although they have come a LONG way from 2003), and you don't even have a comparison. I'm 6'1 and had plenty of room in the E39 3-series, but felt a bit cramped in the IS - probably due to the huge center tunnel.

BMW interiors are business like - some say that's ugly. Most of these people are current Lexus owners who are used to a very rich interior. My GS430 has a nicer looking interior than my old E39 540 - but the GS is less functional. My 550 has a very nice interior but does not compete with the new GS in terms of looks. Functionality is probably about even between the two however (neither is perfect). I personally really like the Audi interior - but that is a different subject all together!
Old 02-14-06, 09:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The IS interior is beautiful, but let's be serious here, the G35 interior is no where near as refined as the 3-series. A lot of people don't like the looks of it - but if you get in an E90 3-series, the dash is actually very functional and the trim is perfect. Contrast that with the G35 which still has the video game look to it (although they have come a LONG way from 2003), and you don't even have a comparison. I'm 6'1 and had plenty of room in the E39 3-series, but felt a bit cramped in the IS - probably due to the huge center tunnel.

BMW interiors are business like - some say that's ugly. Most of these people are current Lexus owners who are used to a very rich interior. My GS430 has a nicer looking interior than my old E39 540 - but the GS is less functional. My 550 has a very nice interior but does not compete with the new GS in terms of looks. Functionality is probably about even between the two however (neither is perfect). I personally really like the Audi interior - but that is a different subject all together!
Well, I don't know, I was never fond of BMW's ugly interiors, cheap leather, ugly gauges, horrible stereo. Another thing is BMW interiors don't age well, even the 7 series, 5 years down the line and they really start showing age and wear. Lexus and MB are a lot more resistant to age because they generally use more durable materials.

The G35 isn't great neither, but like you said, it came a long way since its introduction, and the 2005 refresh is much improved. See, me personally, I'm an interior *****, and I strongly believe that Honda and Toyota make the best interiors in class, and in case of Lexus they have better interiors than higher classes of their competition. I'm the type of person that would rather drive a 4 cylinder accord than an 8 cylinder chrysler 300 just because of the interior.

As far as Audi goes, I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about them, so I can't say anything about their interiors or otherwise.

And one more thing - the seats. I strongly believe Lexus makes the most damn comfortable seats on earth. They may not be a supportive as BMW and Acura, they may not be 20 way ajustable like in 7 series or 12 way adjustable like in S class, but I get back pain on long trips in every damn car besides Lexus. I drove my GS for 1200 miles in two days, and not a sign of back pain, didn't even get tired. And me and my wife constantly go for long trips out of state, for instance next week she's driving from NYC to Florida and then back to NYC a week later, so for us seat comfort is very important.

And I know this is a different subject, but does anyone besides me here find these 12 way and 20 way adjustable seats frigging annoying? My parents have a S500, and I find the seats "too adjustable", there are too many ways of moving them and I can never make them comfortable. My mom too constantly complains about these seats, and when they had their MDX as a second car, she actually much preferred the MDX just because the seats were simples and more comfortable.

Last edited by Och; 02-14-06 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-15-06, 03:57 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Well, I don't know, I was never fond of BMW's ugly interiors, cheap leather, ugly gauges, horrible stereo. Another thing is BMW interiors don't age well, even the 7 series, 5 years down the line and they really start showing age and wear. Lexus and MB are a lot more resistant to age because they generally use more durable materials.

The G35 isn't great neither, but like you said, it came a long way since its introduction, and the 2005 refresh is much improved. See, me personally, I'm an interior *****, and I strongly believe that Honda and Toyota make the best interiors in class, and in case of Lexus they have better interiors than higher classes of their competition. I'm the type of person that would rather drive a 4 cylinder accord than an 8 cylinder chrysler 300 just because of the interior.

As far as Audi goes, I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about them, so I can't say anything about their interiors or otherwise.

And one more thing - the seats. I strongly believe Lexus makes the most damn comfortable seats on earth. They may not be a supportive as BMW and Acura, they may not be 20 way ajustable like in 7 series or 12 way adjustable like in S class, but I get back pain on long trips in every damn car besides Lexus. I drove my GS for 1200 miles in two days, and not a sign of back pain, didn't even get tired. And me and my wife constantly go for long trips out of state, for instance next week she's driving from NYC to Florida and then back to NYC a week later, so for us seat comfort is very important.

And I know this is a different subject, but does anyone besides me here find these 12 way and 20 way adjustable seats frigging annoying? My parents have a S500, and I find the seats "too adjustable", there are too many ways of moving them and I can never make them comfortable. My mom too constantly complains about these seats, and when they had their MDX as a second car, she actually much preferred the MDX just because the seats were simples and more comfortable.
I think the Lexus leather is softer than the BMW leather and does not wear as well. However, most leathers are really well done these days - my GS430 with 34K on it, looks just fine. My wife's RX300 with 71K on it has some wear - but nothing that is not normal for a car of that age.

With regards to seats, depends on the car and the person. After two hours my legs go numb in the GS. No such issue with the RX (maybe cause I'm sitting higher?). My 550 has those 20 way comfort seats that are by far the most comfortable thing I have ever sat in. They are so incredible that BMW is now making them standard in the 5-series sports package for 2007.

Och, get your parents to give you one of the memory positions on their S and you will love those seats.

PS - you should also re-listen to the stereos in the BMWs. Their Logic 7 system is superior to almost anything out there (stock that is) IMHO. I expect that new ML system in the LS to be incredible however.
Old 02-16-06, 09:04 AM
Penforhire
Rookie

I'll chime in here. My 330i's Logic7 system is not as good as the base IS350 system, IMO. But it is better than most other OEM systems. It has a very good staging. I can't believe it has TWO subwoofers and still zero thump. Grrr...
Old 02-21-06, 10:28 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think before saying, what if Lexus IS350 offer manual tranmission and VDIM completely off! 0-60 times under 5 seconds! IS350 Automatic still drive faster G35, 330i, and an other car same class segment! Faster as E46 M3 straight line!