Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoweek on IS350 vs. BMW 330i (merged threads, 56K go shovel some snow))

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 10:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default Autoweek on IS350 vs. BMW 330i

Lexus brought a knife to a gunfight and still managed to shoot itself in the foot. The 3 Series is indeed the better car.
Interesting article.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...THISWEEKSISSUE
Old 02-07-06, 10:51 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus needs to listen to all these reviews...WHY cant they give people a manual?!?!?! and why cant you push a button to disable VDIM?????
Old 02-07-06, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

good review! definitely a little hard hit on lexus, and i hope they listen and improve!
Old 02-08-06, 12:06 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

OUCH! that's it! I am trading my car with 330i tomorrow!
Old 02-08-06, 12:23 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Why Lexus doesn't offer manual? I guess because they don't think there would be enough buyers going for manual transmission. Sure IS350 almost lost to 330i in every single auto magazine, but do they really care that much? Lexus cares about sales and profit. If most of the buyers would opt for auto anyways, why offer manual? I am not saying this action is correct, but there must be a reason for them to do so. As far as the VDIM switch off issue, I don't know, I don't really care. Most people who buy IS wants the combination of luxury, good styling inside and out, peace-of-mind reliability, and sportiness and great handling. But not extreme in any single category. If VDIM is such a safe system, then I guess most buyers wouldn't care if it intervenes a lot. Lexus might think those small percentage of true car enthusiasts could go ahead and buy the manual 330i. One thing to keep in mind, Lexus outsold BMW for several years in the U.S. with less models, and that is what they care more.
Old 02-08-06, 01:30 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

The first gen IS did come with a manual tranny during its first couple of years of production didnt it? I know it didnt sell very well.

BMW will be winning this segment for a while longer. It takes a while to just slough off reputation... seriously... I've driven the new 3... i have the new IS in our household... The IS is very refined... the interior is absolutely gorgeous... the power is fluid... much better than the 3 that I drove... the 3 has a deja vu interior of its previous model year... nothing's changed. The exterior is good.. the engine and handling are good.... but it's still the same car....for some reason, I still want to get a 3 series!

sort of like the co-captain in the cheerleading squad... just waiting till the captain graduates... cuz she knows she'll never get that spot until she's gone.... no matter how pretty, popular, or good she is. unless heheheheheehee....
Old 02-08-06, 07:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

The 3 series is a better car on the track, which is what these reviewers are doing. But the IS350 is still the better overall package as a luxury sports sedan.
I' ve concluded years ago that I read these magazines articles for their test results, & respect their opinions on the cars track performances, but their picks & rankings are mostly worthless as a guide to evaluate a car in it's totality & in actually buying a car.
Old 02-08-06, 08:07 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

The IS350 cannot be considered a luxury sports sedan as long as it is only available with an automatic tranny. It is a luxury sedan. There is no sport to be found in it! Just because it has decent power? There are many luxury cars that have more. Come on Toyota, WTF. I also see NO reason why the new GS doesn't have an available manual, or at least a sequential manual gearbox. That would be SO pimp.
Old 02-08-06, 08:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by replica
The IS350 cannot be considered a luxury sports sedan as long as it is only available with an automatic tranny.
I prefer a manual on the IS350 too, but you mean the vast majority of BMW 330i owners choosing an automatic (probably at least 80 % here) are NOT driving a sports sedan just because it's an automatic ?
Old 02-08-06, 08:19 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Yes. In a sense. They are simply driving the automatic version of the 3 series sports sedan. If it weren't available in stick, then I wouldn't consider it a sport sedan either. Just like there can be no automatic sports car. They might be labeled as such, but it's a farce.
Old 02-08-06, 08:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Yes. In a sense. They are simply driving the automatic version of the 3 series sports sedan. If it weren't available in stick, then I wouldn't consider it a sport sedan either. Just like there can be no automatic sports car. They might be labeled as such, but it's a farce.
I guess none of the AMG's are sports sedan then by that definition
Old 02-08-06, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

The IS350 cannot be considered a luxury sports sedan as long as it is only available with an automatic tranny. It is a luxury sedan. There is no sport to be found in it! Just because it has decent power? There are many luxury cars that have more. Come on Toyota, WTF. I also see NO reason why the new GS doesn't have an available manual, or at least a sequential manual gearbox. That would be SO pimp.
i agree with andrew, i wouldn't say it's not a sport sedan if it's not manual. you saying that the c55 and e55 they are not sport sedan? and for e36 they had auto m3, that's not sport sedan? dunno man, those car gives very good run for the money
Old 02-08-06, 09:19 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I really think it's just marketing telling us that they are sport sedans. For me there are two truths in the automotive world: 1) no such thing as a FWD sports car, and 2) to honestly be in the 'sports' category, it has to have a driver-controlled transmission. Otherwise, it's just a car with a bit more brawn and stiffer suspension. Which is fine, just not 'sport'.
Old 02-08-06, 09:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Well, I never fully bought into the sports sedan concept anyway. When I need to buy a sedan, I want a more balanced car, not too hard edged, & comfortable for everyone.
If I want real sports, I'll skip BMW entirely & go straight to Porsche & the likes with 2 doors & only 2 seats
Old 02-08-06, 10:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
The 3 series is a better car on the track, which is what these reviewers are doing. But the IS350 is still the better overall package as a luxury sports sedan.
First off, I really like the IS350. But one thing that limits its appeal as a 'sedan' is the rear seat room. I think the 3 series is better here, although I've not compared side by side (and spec. measurements often don't tell the whole story because of the funky shapes of seats).

Quick Reply: Autoweek on IS350 vs. BMW 330i (merged threads, 56K go shovel some snow))