Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes’ AMG Drops the ML63 and R63 in the Windy City

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 01:27 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes’ AMG Drops the ML63 and R63 in the Windy City

CHICAGO — The 2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG, powered by a 6.3-liter V8 that produces 503 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque, will go on sale in the United States in August, starting at $80,000, company spokesman Rob Moran told Inside Line.

Like its sibling, the R63 AMG, the Benz SUV gets a new look to go with its high-performance personality, including stainless-steel running boards, two sets of chromed twin exhaust pipes, and an AMG grille. In the cabin, the ML63 is outfitted with AMG sport seats, a leather AMG sport steering wheel, and a special AMG-designed instrument cluster that includes a lap timer. AMG door sills and stainless-steel pedals with rubber studs are standard.

The ML63 AMG comes with a seven-speed automatic transmission that can be controlled by Formula One-style buttons on the AMG sport steering wheel. Its four-wheel traction control system incorporates such functions as a downhill driving aid and hill-start assist.

What this means to you: You can tell by the lap timer that this SUV got the AMG treatment.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=109263#2

Last edited by Overclocker; 02-10-06 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-10-06, 01:31 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

CHICAGO — The Mercedes-Benz R63 AMG concept, powered by a 6.3-liter V8 that produces 503 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque, made its world debut on Wednesday at the Chicago auto show.

The German automaker told Inside Line the vehicle will first be introduced as a production model in the U.S. in September.

The V8 engine is mated to a seven-speed automatic transmission and is the first engine developed entirely by AMG, the company said. The R63 AMG sprints from zero to 60 mph in about 5 seconds.

The debut of the R63 AMG — and its sibling, the ML63 AMG — marks the return of all-wheel drive to the AMG lineup.

The R63 AMG's exterior is highlighted by bolder front and rear aprons, an AMG grille, flared fenders, AMG side skirts, and tinted taillights. The cabin has AMG sport seats, a leather AMG sport steering wheel, and a special instrument cluster.

A height-adjustable Airmatic air suspension with special AMG shocks is standard. The R63 AMG's four-wheel traction control system incorporates such functions as a downhill driving aid and hill-start assist.

What this means to you: The "R" stands for "rocket" when AMG gets its hands on the Mercedes wagon.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=109265#2
Old 02-10-06, 01:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha might want to fix your subject, when i saw r68 i was like wtf

but anyway, i really don't care as much on the r63, still kinda weird for that kind of power on a minivan. but then i think i said the same thing when they started the power war on the suv (the cayenne turbo). now i think the ml63 is very hot
Old 02-10-06, 02:36 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm waiting on the C63...now that would be HOT
Old 02-10-06, 02:46 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally Posted by rominl
haha might want to fix your subject, when i saw r68 i was like wtf
Good catch rominl, I fixed the subject. The mistake from their website, I just assumed they proofread what they post.
Old 02-10-06, 02:56 PM
LexFather

Yippie! A 500hp Van and SUV. Oh joy!

I like the fact its ignorant and a ridiculous showing of excess and its the ultimate in power for soccor moms and guys that think pretty SUVs are cool and tough. I like that part.

But sorry, if I want 500hp in my SUV, I am getting a Cayenne Turbo S.

Both look pretty good, but ANY AMG looks good with giant brakes, a drop and big wheels. They ALL or damn gorgous to look at.

Do you realize a van is going to kick major butt

Old 02-10-06, 04:34 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh *****. I think they forgot to not make it not ugly.
Old 02-10-06, 04:40 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say it, but upon reading this thread I informed my wife that there's one more SUV to add to our short list of vehicles to start looking at this summer. The current short list includes the MDX (economical, good-looking, and rock-solid reliability), the LX470 (everything that's great about a Lexus except that the design is ancient and it lacks many of the newer luxury features), and the Cayenne Turbo S (ridiculously expensive but worthy of consideration simply for the OMG factor). I'm not saying I'm going run right out to put a deposit down on an ML63, but it's certainly worth a look...
Old 02-10-06, 05:40 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Amazing how Mercedes has leaped into the 500hp club in a hurry.. The Germans are really dominating in the horsepower wars. 520hp Cayenne Turbo
Old 02-10-06, 05:45 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the AMG treatment on the ML, especially the front bumper.

As for the R, still looks like a minivan to me.
Old 02-10-06, 07:02 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Amazing how Mercedes has leaped into the 500hp club in a hurry.. The Germans are really dominating in the horsepower wars. 520hp Cayenne Turbo
nothing better than a german V-8 or V-12....
Old 02-10-06, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yippie! A 500hp Van and SUV. Oh joy!

I like the fact its ignorant and a ridiculous showing of excess and its the ultimate in power for soccor moms and guys that think pretty SUVs are cool and tough. I like that part.

But sorry, if I want 500hp in my SUV, I am getting a Cayenne Turbo S.

Both look pretty good, but ANY AMG looks good with giant brakes, a drop and big wheels. They ALL or damn gorgous to look at.

that's why though we were looking at the sienna, we kinda came to the conclusion that we might be better off getting the rx400h instead. better gas mileage, very decent power, and hey, mod it up!
Old 02-11-06, 12:03 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Oh yea - along with the ultimate sleeper: E55 Wagon...
Old 02-11-06, 12:10 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i think they should put AMG 65 biturbo motor in that ugly R van. What the heck are they thinking?

But ML looks super!
Old 02-11-06, 11:33 AM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Tha ML63 looks real mean. Almost like and angry pissed off bull. AMG cars have always been nice. To bad the C43 can't be that nasty.

Quick Reply: Mercedes’ AMG Drops the ML63 and R63 in the Windy City