Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DODGE MAGNUM: Quick observation on the low market price

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-06, 09:05 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DODGE MAGNUM: Quick observation on the low market price

Hey guys, I dont normally pay much attention to these types of cars, but there is a slew of new car dealerships on the main road to the office. Yesterday I passed the Dodge dealership and there was a Magnum on the lot for 17,500!! I mean granted it was a V6 and all but still, I had no idea these cars were so cheap (or rather that they depreciated so badly). I guess I still perceive it as a relatively "new" car, so to see it on a dealers lot for such a cheap price kinda surprised me.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think they could be be a cool daily driver / work car option, although I do not know much about the quality / reliability of these cars. (not for me mind you, dont want the good ole 03 Taurus to get jealous!! lol)

On the flip side, I guess we are going to be seeing ALOT more of these cars with the cheapie non staggered 22's that they all love so much! (and just wait until Toyo introduces that low profile 24" car tire!!! lol).
Old 02-11-06, 09:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Hey guys, I dont normally pay much attention to these types of cars, but there is a slew of new car dealerships on the main road to the office. Yesterday I passed the Dodge dealership and there was a Magnum on the lot for 17,500!! I mean granted it was a V6 and all but still, I had no idea these cars were so cheap (or rather that they depreciated so badly). I guess I still perceive it as a relatively "new" car, so to see it on a dealers lot for such a cheap price kinda surprised me.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think they could be be a cool daily driver / work car option, although I do not know much about the quality / reliability of these cars. (not for me mind you, dont want the good ole 03 Taurus to get jealous!! lol)

On the flip side, I guess we are going to be seeing ALOT more of these cars with the cheapie non staggered 22's that they all love so much! (and just wait until Toyo introduces that low profile 24" car tire!!! lol).
You can get a 2005 impala with 12-20k miles for 10k. They reliable enough, but you'll have a vomiting reflex everytime you get in.
Old 02-11-06, 10:54 AM
rai
Lead Lap

I rented a 300C touring, it was nice for a domestic, but the ride/handling was not great. It's nice to see a RWD car for low $20s but it's not like you are getting a performance sedan, more of a town car ride than a bmw.

Better than I expect for the price, but it's still a domestic meaning they have a way to go.

Really a value car more than a car you buy b/c you love everything about it.
Old 02-11-06, 10:59 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yea I've seen a few low priced 300 here. Around the 18-19K area though. There was also a special a few months ago, some local dealerahip was offering $200 a month deal on a base model 300.
Old 02-11-06, 11:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Too may of those Magnums in NYC Getting sick of seeing them. They might become cabs here in a year or two
Old 02-11-06, 03:38 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

I sell Dodge/Chrysler products, and we can't give away these Magnums. We are $3000 UNDER INVOICE on 05' Magnums right now
Old 02-11-06, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboSC
I sell Dodge/Chrysler products, and we can't give away these Magnums. We are $3000 UNDER INVOICE on 05' Magnums right now
If they don't have AWD in Wisconsin's climate, no wonder the V6 models are not selling. The AWD ones, both V6 and Hemi, should do pretty well in your area.
Now.....if you can't even give away the AWD ones......then you DO have a problem.
Old 02-11-06, 07:25 PM
LexFather

I am surprised, it seems I see them all day on 22s, they seem popular here in ATL

Old 02-11-06, 08:34 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Too may of those Magnums in NYC Getting sick of seeing them. They might become cabs here in a year or two
I think I'll have to agree with you again on this one. I thought 300C had the city on lock until last summer. It's a matter of time before we see medallions and meters in these things.
Old 02-11-06, 09:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am surprised, it seems I see them all day on 22s, they seem popular here in ATL
its not just in AtL sicklex the movement coming further south.. Before i got my GS i test drove the Magnum Hemi.. Man the power was there for sure but i re thinked my decsion because of resale value and reliablity like Derrick said up above... Every one is putting 22's onn these things.. There;s a few around town by me and it looks silly without the car lowered...

I do like the 300c srt 8... If i ever had the dough i would consider that car... Very nice...
Old 02-12-06, 02:48 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Thats EXACTLY what I was referring to, its so funny because I see SOO many of them in Brooklyn with these seriously lame 22" non staggered wheels, no lowering, and the driver leaning as if he's in a MAYBACH 62!! lol

Jesus H Christ man, thats sick! I guess thats the fatal flaw of these "fad" cars, once the novelty fades its all downhill. I find alot of these types of cars to be like fashion trends, which is a tough way to really define / build a brand.

Originally Posted by LexLaw
I think I'll have to agree with you again on this one. I thought 300C had the city on lock until last summer. It's a matter of time before we see medallions and meters in these things.
Yeah and thats when its ALL over! I remember when a few of the local cab companies in Brooklyn started using the old Navigator, it was a real sore point for some of the guys that owned them!! I can remember like yesterday, this one guy had a Navigator cab with 22's, HID Head & Fogs, Exhaust, Lowering, (I cant lie, I liked that cab!!) LOL

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I do like the 300c srt 8... If i ever had the dough i would consider that car... Very nice...
Yeah thats the sad thing, those are really nice cars, but once the novelty is worn off those will languish on lots as well!

(well on second thought maybe thats a good thought, since you will be able to get a 425hp sports sedan with German engineering for about 32-34k!!!)
Old 02-12-06, 10:28 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default 13k Easy

dErrick,

Seen some magnums for 13k-14k at some auctions all day and night. 300c isn't too far behind. Heck I saw a brand new (virtually) srt-10 viper truck sell for 29k. drive train alone is 12k-15k market value. Just not quality vehicles for the price a person pays.
Old 02-12-06, 01:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Compared to some of the other domestic stuff I have seen, Dodge has some good products with the Neon SRT-4, Magnum and the SRT-10. If no foreign cars existed, I would consider one of them or the Corvette.
Old 02-12-06, 02:30 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
dErrick,

Seen some magnums for 13k-14k at some auctions all day and night. 300c isn't too far behind. Heck I saw a brand new (virtually) srt-10 viper truck sell for 29k. drive train alone is 12k-15k market value. Just not quality vehicles for the price a person pays.
Are you serious, the SRT10 truck for 29k. That is a steal.
Old 02-12-06, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Are you serious, the SRT10 truck for 29k. That is a steal.
Well, yes and no. Two things. First, like many Chrysler products, this vehicle is not that terribly well-built and has unimpressive hardware and paint quality, and, second, what you save by buying it for some 29K you will QUICKLY put back into the gas tank....that ultra-high-performance 500 / 500 V10 combined with this trucks' weight and so-so aeroynamics makes it an oilman's dream.

Quick Reply: DODGE MAGNUM: Quick observation on the low market price