Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Corvette ZR1 officially unveiled (pg. 10) - Video Clip added

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-06, 02:14 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvettes are good handling vehicles, but can still be beaten at their game, by someone with a good base and know how.

Thus how this 300 rwhp 240sx is a faster road course car then a ZO6.

http://www.az240sx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26644

I just dont see it beating an ENZO at the track..
Old 11-09-06, 02:47 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Man, those cars will be ridiculous.
Already its been recorded that a bone stock C6Z06 (with DOT legal DRs) will snap a 10.85 in the 1/4.
I can only imagine at what an extra 150 will do.

haha, there are STOCK miata's faster than vipers around road courses. Especially at courses where you can run around a minute per lap. Bigger tracks however, show why you need horsepower.

But, that extra power will throw a wrench in dynamics for certain, and I'm very interested to see what in the world they use for suspension setup, brakes, and rear diff & axles.
I could see them putting 650 in the new camaro or something for a halo car, but it takes some serious engineering to stuff 650 into what is supposed to take on supercars on the cheap.
Old 11-16-06, 07:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default A reader catches the once and future 600-hp 'Vette.

by TCC Team (2006-11-15)

While rumors of a super-powered Corvette continue to circulate, a reader of TheCarConnection has some convincing evidence that the project is a go. "Yonni G," a student nearMilford, Mich. - the site of GM's proving grounds - spotted this prototype on public roads last week.

"As I was driving I saw the prototype way ahead of me on the road, and it looked like a really aggressive Corvette. Luckily I had borrowed my dad's camera for a project at school and had it with me in the car and snapped some shots as it passed by. The car was amazing! It sounded very powerful and definitely did not seem like your everyday Corvette.

These shots show what's been hyped as a "Blue Devil" Corvette - so dubbed after GM CEO Rick Wagoner's alma mater, Duke University . The rumor mill suggests the super-Vette could become a reality in 2008, with a supercharged Z06-derived 7.0-liter V-8 with 600 hp and a $100,000 pricetag. Stay tuned to our auto show coverage in case the hottest Corvette ever makes a surprise appearance.
source : thecarconnection
Old 01-13-07, 08:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

General Motors has all but confirmed that there will be a Viper SRT10 rivaling Corvette supercar during an interview with analysts on Thursday, according to an article from The Detroit Free Press. Vice Chairman Bob Lutz has commented that the General isn’t about to let the Viper hold the title of most powerful American sports car, adding “as you all know, it is not our policy to discuss future product programs. However it is very important for Corvette to be the most powerful, most capable, best handling sports car in the United States.”

Spy images of a Corvette test mule with a unique hood scoop emanating a loud supercharger whine have been caught in recent months, hinting that the new car will output significantly more than the 505hp Z06 (pictured above). Rumors are suggesting that the final figure will be close to 650hp with the car expected to debut in 2009.
source : motorauthority
Old 02-12-07, 12:06 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Lutz confirms 600HP Super-Vette in the works . . .

Posted Feb 12th 2007 2:26 pm

During an interview with a group of bloggers including yours truly at the Detroit Auto Show, Bob Lutz answered my question about a Viper-Vette horsepower war in the affirmative. He said that GM and the US market were both schizophrenic and that they would continue competing with Chrysler at the upper end of the performance spectrum. Last week during the Chicago Auto Show, General Motors confirmed that a 600-hp Corvette would be coming in the summer of 2009. General Motors hasn't mentioned pricing yet, as the car is still two years away, although insiders are guessing at $100,000 easy. Considering how long spy photos of the "Blue Devil" Vette have been floating around, the 2009 timing seems a little long, but maybe GM is planning this as a special end of run model before the C7 Corvette shows it's face.
source : autoblog, via automotivenews
Old 02-12-07, 12:47 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$100k would still be very reasonable if this Vette can pull off supercar performance numbers...

On another note: I can't wait to pay off my truck in a couple years...I'm gonna be eye-balling a low mileage C6 Z06
Old 02-12-07, 12:53 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

100k is still alot for a Vette. Don't car if it does have the power.. And I love Vettes.

However like you SC400Dude I'll be eyeballing a lower mileage C6/C5 Z06 soon too!!
Old 02-12-07, 01:14 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People were paying over 100K for the zo6 when it first came out and they were selling like hotcakes.

Corvette afficianodos are almost cultlike in many ways. It is not unusual to find vette owneres that have owned 5 7 or 8 vettes durign their life time.

People will by the Blue devil at 100K and not think twice, yes they will not sell 100K units per year but they will in my opinion easily sell 3K units per year.
Old 02-21-07, 10:22 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Pics of the Corvette SS / Blue Devil . . .

Old 02-21-07, 10:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Here are millions of dollars of development and thousands of hours of work laid bare for us to ogle. This Corvette caught by Fast-Autos.net forum member, Chikara83, definitely has some trick bits on it and apparently it's the real deal. There's a liquid/liquid intercooler perched atop the V8, and where the alternator used to be sits a supercharger. We can't tell what type of huffer it is, though -- positive displacement Roots-type or centrifugal.

The hood and front quarters are wearing camouflage to cover changes in those panels. The low-pressure area behind the front wheels makes the perfect location for extractors, which are likely fed by the high pressure area at the base of the windshield. Together they provide a good path through the engine bay for extra cooling air. That's a nice, tidy explanation for why the camo is where it is, too, so we're going with it. There's also a vent in the leading edge of the rear quarter panel, which we presume is for rear brake cooling. The burning question that everyone wants to know has finally been answered: the interior (of the mule, at least) is still kinda cheap. We are gonna be so embarassed if this is Winding Road messing with us again.
source : autoblog, fast-auto : http://www.fast-autos.net/forum/show...?t=4944&page=2
Old 02-22-07, 08:53 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Hot digity those are some detailed pics of GM's super secret supercar!!!

If that's a GM employee in the drivers seat, he's a dead man if GM finds out who it was that showed it off to some camera toting forum guy.

PS, nice touch with the blue brake calipers.
Old 02-22-07, 10:08 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

The last thing that car needs is more power....
Old 02-22-07, 11:27 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mavericck
The last thing that car needs is more power....
You can never have enough
Old 02-22-07, 11:31 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
You can never have enough
WERD!

It does seem a little asinine considering the Z06 is so damn fast, but if they can maintain its driveability then I'm all for it.
Old 02-22-07, 12:37 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lutz is going after the Enzo... This is insane

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR1 officially unveiled (pg. 10) - Video Clip added