Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers want Subaru models under $20,000

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 04:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Dealers want Subaru models under $20,000

Dealers want Subaru models under $20,000
Automotive News / February 13, 2006 - 6:00 am

After years of asking, Subaru dealers got an SUV, the B9 Tribeca.

Initial sales of the vehicle, which hit dealerships in May, were slow, says Kirk Schneider, chairman of the Subaru National Dealer Advisory Board. But by December, sales approached Subaru's monthly target of 3,000 vehicles, he says.

Subaru reacted quickly to the market and some resistance to the B9 Tribeca's pricing with an incentive, and sales increased, Schneider says.

The Legacy and Outback both have been restyled and dealers are benefiting from the more contemporary look. But dealers still want cars under $20,000 to bring in buyers, he says.

Schneider was interviewed in early January by Staff Reporter Diana T. Kurylko.

What is Subaru's hot product?

All of our products are hot at the right price. The new 2006 Impreza is … in demand. They just redesigned it, and the design changes are nice. It has a little more power, and it appeals to a younger set. It's affordable.

How has the new B9 Tribeca SUV been received in the marketplace?

It started out slower than we wanted it to in the introduction. We sold 2,730 in December - that's approaching where they want to be. It's a very good product. The styling has a tendency to polarize people a little.

Was it priced too high?

Yes, it was a bit high to begin with. Certain models were priced high. There is a $1,000 incentive on the seven-passenger model. Subaru has never been known for huge incentives, but that has helped.

What new products do dealers want?

We would love to see a hybrid - preferably a hybrid Outback or of a car that we have.

How likely is that?

They are working on it, and we hope to see to it in the future. That's the kind of car that the Subaru clientele is looking for.

Did the Outback and Forester benefit from higher gasoline prices and consumers shunning bigger SUVs?

Speaking from my store, we didn't lose any sales from the high prices. We gained some favor and gained some people trading out of big cars.

What new products are on the way?

We will have a redesigned Impreza and a redesigned Legacy in the future. The hybrid is being worked on.

How is the Legacy sedan doing?

When they redesigned it (2004), they made it a much-improved car. Subaru has really worked hard on their product design and engineering, and they have given us the best cars we have ever had.

Is the strategy to move a little upscale working?

That's a hard question. When you talk about premium, to quote Fuji Heavy Industries or our president, Kunio Ishigami, the public has to decide what is premium. It's been a bit of a challenge.

How did GM's employee incentives affect your sales?

Subaru did not match those programs.

That hurt the market as a whole. It takes away any credibility that pricing has. We would have people call and ask about employee pricing - for Subaru that's $400 off, not $10,000.

What is the top priority of the dealer council in 2006?

Dealer profitability is always the top priority that we strive for. If you have a stronger dealer body that's profitable and happy and attitudes are good, that will communicate through into sales.

Does Subaru listen to its dealer council?

They do. I think it's not as good as it's been in the past. Subaru has some strong goals for unit sales, and they are working toward those - 2005 was a tougher year for the Subaru dealer body. You have to get that balance for what the dealers want and what the factory wants.

What has been your biggest disappointment as dealer council chairman?

This year it was probably the introduction of the Subaru diagnostic system. It's the new technology for diagnosing cars in your service department. It's a terrific tool, but the dealer council was not in the loop.

It is a significant investment for dealers to make - about $10,000 or $11,000. There were some things we felt could have been improved in the way the product was designed. It's all Internet-based, but when you get involved with firewalls, initial fees - we could have made it a better and smoother transition for dealers.

What is the No. 1 thing the factory can do to help dealers?

Probably, the biggest key is to try to keep a balance on inventory supply and demand. As they grow, Subaru has to invest advertising dollars based on their objectives. You need to invest more to get to the objective.

What are the dealer council's top concerns?

No. 1. Maintaining dealer new car profitability - it's lower than we want it. We need to have more dealerships profitable in their new-car departments because not all are.

No. 2. We need to increase sales through stepped-up advertising and marketing in order to meet Subaru's higher goals.

No. 3. We want to see a continued effort to shorten product cycles so that we always have new products coming to market.

How is the factory responding to those concerns?

The factory is always doing what they can. They need to sell more cars, too, and they need to do it through the dealer body. We as dealers feel it's the factory's responsibility to establish the brand's image and competitive pricing in the marketplace.

What is Subaru's pricing strategy?

Subaru is trying to be the best car in their class. To do that, they have made significant improvements in safety and convenience features, which moves their pricing a little upscale.

It's a great value, but it is hard at times for dealers to compete. We don't have much in the way of base models in our product line. That would be something we would be looking for - more of an entry level.

What kind of price?

If we could have a Legacy under $20,000 or an Outback under $20,000, that would help.

Are your dealers making money on new-car sales?

Not all of them. That's an area where we could make improvements.

How does your brand handle local marketing? Are dealers satisfied that it is fair and effective?

Subaru is going to release a new advertising program for dealers that could be a real home run.

They have taken a view that dealers know how to retail better than maybe the factory does and will allow you to be in more control of your local marketing, which could be very beneficial for us. It should be released by February.

Does Subaru advertising work? Does the dealer council have a real voice in it?

Our brand advertising does work. They show their ideas, and we can comment on it and have input. We are a smaller manufacturer, and the ad dollars aren't there like some of the bigger brands.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...fsect=2006NADA
Old 02-14-06, 04:42 PM
LexFather

Didn't Toyota buy 7% of Subie. I see hybrid coming.

As for sub 20k cars, not sure why they want to go there? I guess to build brand loyalty as consumers move up.

Thing is as people move up, they tend to jump to luxury brands.

We'll see I like Subie!

Old 02-14-06, 05:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Subaru is about to open its doors south of the border. I think most of the models will come though I have not seen the WRX listed (did at one time though). Down here you can slap on $7 to $10K USD more to the car for a variety of reasons (taxes, dealer greed) and I cannot wait to see how they are going to show themselves off (luxury?).
Old 02-15-06, 03:49 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As for sub 20k cars, not sure why they want to go there? I guess to build brand loyalty as consumers move up.
Mmarshall will undoubtedly chime in soon, but my opinion is that Subara HAS to go there. No matter what a small core of brand loyalists thinks, Subaru is at best still an afterthought to the mass market (if they think about them at all). Go ahead, ask anyone in your office or your school or whatever to name all the Japanese car brands they can think of. Even the most car-ignorant will spout off Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and probably Lexus and Acura too. Some may think of Infiniti. When they think harder they'll come up with Mazda and Mitsubishi. I'd be willing to bet that 95% of people won't even name Subaru.

So to rebuild the brand here they HAVE to get into that true entry-level market. Once you get high school kids begging their parents for the latest Subaru (and being able to back up their wishes by pointing out the reasonable price), then the parents will start to research the product line and go into the dealerships. Sales can start to happen then.
Old 02-15-06, 03:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It is no wonder that regular ( non-WRX ) Imprezas are starting to sell. I guess the word is getting out about them ( and Foresters ) being great inexpensive snow cars.....perhaps the best for the money. See the list I did some months ago.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...sive+snow+cars

Mr. Schneider's comments about the Tribeca, and why it hasn't sold better, amuse me a little. He refers to the styling as having " polarized " some people. I call it just plain UGLY. Some people are also turned off by the rather cold-looking interior and the lack of either fake or real wood paneling in supposedly Subaru's flagship model. Though I have not test-driven one ( yet ) I have noticed that the doors and interior hardware don't feel as solid as on other Subarus.....notably the Outback and Forester.
The Tribeca, IMO, in many ways was a dissapointment after the superb 2005-2006 Legacy-Outback. Though it comes with a lot of features, the bean counters seemed to have designed this vehicle....they skimped on a lot of material quality.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-06 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-15-06, 03:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
I'd be willing to bet that 95% of people won't even name Subaru.

I disagree here. That was much more true in the past than nowadays. Subarus are no longer niche vehicles. The Outback and Forester, in particular, have been extremely popular. The Impreza, though, has lagged somewhat....until now. The WRX vastly boosed the Impreza's sales after it was finally introduced here.
Old 02-15-06, 05:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

they could always offer 1.6 90hp Impreza like they did in other markets :-).

Subaru needs more cars, simple enough.
Old 02-15-06, 05:53 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree here. That was much more true in the past than nowadays. Subarus are no longer niche vehicles. The Outback and Forester, in particular, have been extremely popular. The Impreza, though, has lagged somewhat....until now. The WRX vastly boosed the Impreza's sales after it was finally introduced here.
Do you have some sales figures? I simply don't see that many Subaru's on the road, no one I know has one, in fact I wouldn't even be able to tell you where a local Subaru dealer is. So just how many cars did they actually sell in 2005? Is the trend truly going up?
Old 02-19-06, 06:48 PM
Beanboy
Driver School Candidate

"[for the] third consecutive year, the company recorded an all- time sales record, selling a total of 196,002 units in 2005. Subaru also recorded best-ever sales in December that drove the year-end total up five percent from the previous year."
Old 02-19-06, 07:00 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Thanks, Beanboy. Is that quote for U.S. sales only? 200K units averages out to 4,000 Subarus per state, which isn't that many at all. (I know the sales distribution isn't that even, but it helps to visualize numbers like that...)
Old 02-20-06, 12:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
I wouldn't even be able to tell you where a local Subaru dealer is.
What part of VA are you in? Just within a short driving distance from my house there are at least 5 or 6 Subaru dealerships....Stohlman Subaru-Mitsubishi-VW at Tysons Corner, Farrish Subaru in Fairfax, Paul Brothers Subaru in Herndon, Subaru of Alexandria, Subaru-Springfield, and several more just across the Potomac in the Maryland suburbs....including one in Silver Spring at the Briggs-Chaney complex.

If you ever need to find the closest dealership for ANY vehicle make, simply go through the manufacturer web sits. Just about all auto manufacturer web sites have instant dealer locators for the closest ones. Just type in your zip code or address.
Old 02-20-06, 05:12 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the post and the PM, mmarshall. I don't really want to know where the Subaru dealerships are, but thanks for the helpful info. My point was that Subaru is such a niche brand that I, someone who is relatively into cars and lives near a huge developing "auto mile", neither knows nor cares where to get a Subaru. But I wouldn't know where to go to get a Rolls, Bentley, or Aston-Martin either, so maybe Subaru is in good company!
Old 02-20-06, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, Subarus used to be a niche brand....primarily in New England and the Rockies, among people who could not afford more expensive AWD cars. That is no longer the case. I don't have exact sales figures ( LexArazzo and 1SICKLEX will propably post them ) but the days of Subaru being just a quirky, odd-ball machine for a small group of snow junkies are gone....and becoming less so each year. The WRX, especially, has become a big hit with the tuner and pocket-rocket crowd, and the Sti would also be if they built more of them.

Now the other cars you mention; the mega-buck British marques......ARE still niche machines, primarily because of their enormous cost.