Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS250 stolen

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 04:23 PM
LexFather

Sorry but a recall is not thought of in 2 days. It takes months to figure out a recall is needed. 1 car does not= a recall either

Old 02-16-06, 06:14 PM
sc430uk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe not in the US but in GB its looking like it, they are doing there test whilst we speak,
Old 02-16-06, 07:42 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Many years ago I had a HS physics teacher who told the class about the time his key fit somebody else's car, and he didn't realize it until he had driven it back and forth to another city.

Any possibility that this guy happened to have a key that fit your car (statistically small chance, I know, but they do have a limited number of keys), got in by mistake, and drove it for a minute until the engine cut out becasue there was no chip? That would explain him leaving the car there in panic and not taking anything.

Or maybe they used very few key types and somebody passed the info around and lowlifes are taking advantage for kicks - same engine cutout. That would explain a fast recall if they found out most keys are interchangeable.
Old 02-16-06, 07:58 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A recall...thats pretty scary.

glad your car is fine and harmless

Mink92890
Old 02-16-06, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430uk
Well the car was found today 2 days after 2 mins drive from where it was stolen and all my stuff still in the boot of the car, car is not damaged in any way.
Hmm... what do the police or you think was the motive then if nothing was taken and the car wasn't driven far?
Old 02-16-06, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah weird motive there, what was the thief trying to do then?!

keep us posted,this is definitely one funny thread
Old 02-16-06, 09:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I can't get my key in the ignition from opening the door in 8 seconds.

There's a lot of factors involved in a vehicle that does not have a key.

#1- must break into the car.

#2- must hot wire the car to keep power to the ignition circuit

#3- must break the steering column to be able to drive it without the steering wheel being locked up.

#4- must break the parking lockout (auto) if the key is not present.

All in all, either he had a key or this is complete BS. Providing it is not BS, he had a key. Period.

The BS factor comes in where you expect a total recall from one car being stolen, that obviously was stolen with the key.
Old 02-16-06, 09:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Time for devils advocate

Let's say by some miracle you left the doors unlocked, and he screwdriver'd the ignition and it worked.

Why was the car found 2 miles away? Factory alarm shut the car off after 1 minute because the transponder was not present.

(this isn't even a good devils advocate, I just don't buy it)
Old 02-16-06, 10:25 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Time for devils advocate

Let's say by some miracle you left the doors unlocked, and he screwdriver'd the ignition and it worked.

Why was the car found 2 miles away? Factory alarm shut the car off after 1 minute because the transponder was not present.

(this isn't even a good devils advocate, I just don't buy it)
Smells kinda funny to me too... Not saying it didn't happen by ANY MEANS... but skepticism is starting to creep. I have heard stranger things actually happening, so I don't doubt anything.
Old 02-17-06, 05:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Gone in 60 seconds with Nicholas Cage depicts what the professional car thief business is all about. It is a multibillion dollar business which cars are stolen here in the U.S and exported to overseas countries for top dollar. These thieves have high tech devices that will open up a car without breaking the steering column. Code grabbers are very popular (I'm not a thief by the way). For example Aftermarket alarm companies came out with code-hopping technology to out wit the thieves. Professional thieves are not your local thugs. They work neat, and leave no trail. What they did with you car could be a test run to see if their device works. Now that they know it works, they can steal some cars like yours when an order comes in. My advice, if there is an Aftermarket alarm shop in the UK, get a Viper alarm buddy

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 02-17-06 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-17-06, 05:30 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Wheres the video??
Old 02-17-06, 12:21 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Wheres the video??
exellent question
Old 02-17-06, 05:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I can't get my key in the ignition from opening the door in 8 seconds.

There's a lot of factors involved in a vehicle that does not have a key.

#1- must break into the car.

#2- must hot wire the car to keep power to the ignition circuit

#3- must break the steering column to be able to drive it without the steering wheel being locked up.

#4- must break the parking lockout (auto) if the key is not present.

All in all, either he had a key or this is complete BS. Providing it is not BS, he had a key. Period.

The BS factor comes in where you expect a total recall from one car being stolen, that obviously was stolen with the key.
yep.............
Old 02-17-06, 05:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Gone in 60 seconds with Nicholas Cage depicts what the professional car thief business is all about. It is a multibillion dollar business which cars are stolen here in the U.S and exported to overseas countries for top dollar. These thieves have high tech devices that will open up a car without breaking the steering column. Code grabbers are very popular (I'm not a thief by the way). For example Aftermarket alarm companies came out with code-hopping technology to out wit the thieves. Professional thieves are not your local thugs. They work neat, and leave no trail. What they did with you car could be a test run to see if their device works. Now that they know it works, they can steal some cars like yours when an order comes in. My advice, if there is an Aftermarket alarm shop in the UK, get a Viper alarm buddy
"code hopping" came with 99% of factory cars in past 10 years :-). You can not grab the "code" from IS, it does not work that way. You have to register new car key with your car, which means you have to have:
a. original key
b. car
c. new key

Only then you can register an new key.
Old 02-18-06, 03:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
"code hopping" came with 99% of factory cars in past 10 years :-). You can not grab the "code" from IS, it does not work that way. You have to register new car key with your car, which means you have to have:
a. original key
b. car
c. new key

Only then you can register an new key.
Yeah most car companies including Lexus use the KEELOQ code hopping technology which theives have already figured out.

Quick Reply: IS250 stolen