Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti profits wane; dealers want product

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 03:28 PM
LexFather

Shift_read

Old 02-18-06, 03:31 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind. Let's all hug.

Last edited by picus; 02-18-06 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-18-06, 04:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Infiniti's first models were launched as 1990 models, in 1989. And to answer your question, the Q45 has been consistent since.
Fair enough. The Lexus line was unveiled ot the world at the same time in 1989 as 1990 models.

Just look at the sales of the Q45...48 units sold for the month of January? The LS430 sold more units in just Jan 2006 alone. That's more than what Q45 sells in one whole year.

January 2006 Sales:

LS430 vs. Q45:
1190 vs. 48 - Jan 06
2320 vs. 1129 - YTD 05

The Q45's popularity and sales in it's whole 16 year history have been lackluster as it's almost non existent period. "Infiniti Profits Wane".

Last edited by flipside909; 02-18-06 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-18-06, 05:01 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Ah ok then. The G20 was upgraded to a bigger more refined car, and with a bigger engine per your info.

LX is being discontinued by Lexus this year.

I30/35 is dead yes, the J30 died yes.

QX4 was replaced with the QX56. It wasn't discontinued just replaced with a bigger and (not really better) version.

People who don't go to Nissan club meetings don't know the truth. I got to meet with the Nissan Engineers at the last Capital Z of Texas Meet.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
R U serious. Your making Nissan owners look awful.

That is not a discontinuation. That is updating to a bigger engine. Everyone does it.
E320 is now E350
525 became 528 is now 520
Even your own I30 became the I35 before being discontiued.

Discontinued

shift_dictionary
shift_common knowledge
shift_shutup

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/discontinued

discontinue
One entry found for discontinue.
Main Entry: dis·con·tin·ue
Pronunciation: "dis-k&n-'tin-(")yü, -y&(-w)
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French discontinuer, from Medieval Latin discontinuare, from Latin dis- + continuare to continue
transitive senses
1 : to break the continuity of : cease to operate, administer, use, produce, or take
2 : to abandon or terminate by a legal discontinuance
intransitive senses : to come to an end
synonym see STOP
3 : to be an Infiniti, as in a car or SUV that sells so poorly, you are dropped off the face of the earth : M30, G20 (twice), J30, I35, QX4, soon to be Q45
- dis·con·tin·u·a·tion
Old 02-18-06, 05:04 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

You don't know more about Nissan than I do. And you proved that just recently in this thread.

Really you can admit Lexus has faults. But every other post you have done you said they don't. But everyone else sucks.

Welcome to 1996, when I bought my first Lexus. Everyone is biased to what they own. Unlike you, I know about most all otehr brands, and know more about your beloved Nissan than you ever will. I can appreciate them (Skyline GT-R) and call them out (crappy interiors). I know Lexus does not make the most sporting cars and can admit to it as well as their other faults. You can't admit anything poor about Nissan/Infiniti/Renault.

The G20 did not get replaced by the G35, please let it go. The car was sold once, got discontined for 3 years, brought back, did just as poorly and was discontinued. Infiniti, having run out of names to screw up, had to go back and use G again, for the G35, like how the M30 and M35/45 are nowhere near related.

Thus on of their problems, confusing the SNOT outta the public.

Your not biased. lol
Old 02-18-06, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

G35 TX..........we're not a bunch of ostriches here on CAR CHAT with our heads in the sand . We know that Lexus products occasionally have faults. Both the ES300 and IS300 had quirky transmission ECU's in 2001-2002, and the 3.0L V6 in the ES300 and RX300.....along with similiar Toyotas......was prone to oil gelling and sludge buildup if you didn't keep the oil changed religiously. And the LS400 in its first couple of years had rotor-warping problems from its heavy weight and aggessive brake use until the brakes were redesigned. But few auto companies over the years have had the record Lexus does for building reliable, quality vehicles. Today only Subaru, Toyota, Honda, Acura, and SOME Infinitis ( not others ) even come close....though Hyundai in general is getting closer every year, and one of its vehicles...the Sonata....is already way up there.
Old 02-18-06, 07:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G35_TX
You don't know more about Nissan than I do. And you proved that just recently in this thread.

Really you can admit Lexus has faults. But every other post you have done you said they don't. But everyone else sucks.
You are now added to my ignore list. And your lucky I don't add you to our global ignore list. I've eaten cupcakes with a higher I.Q than you
Shift_clueless

Old 02-18-06, 07:49 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Remember the M30 coupe? A flop.
Remember the QX4 (Pathfinder cutout) Another flop.
Err, so what. Just because a previous generation was not a great seller, doesn't mean you shouldn't try again. The M35/45 sedan is a success. No reason to see why a coupe/convertible based on that would flop.

The first gen GS300 was a flop. The first gen IS300 was a flop.
Old 02-18-06, 07:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
Err, so what. Just because a previous generation was not a great seller, doesn't mean you shouldn't try again. The M35/45 sedan is a success. No reason to see why a coupe/convertible based on that would flop.

The first gen GS300 was a flop. The first gen IS300 was a flop.
Define Success and Define flop

1GS was not a sucess, clearly, no V-8 option, the I-6 was not a great performer, the car was larger than the rest in class, just the wrong approach. Clearly Lexus learned and fixed, as we are on teh 3GS now. It NEVER got discontinued.

The 1IS, I won't say is a flop. It has the lowest age demographic in its class. It won a couple reviews and was teh FIRST serious effort from anyone to take on the 3 seriously. From a SALES standpoint, outside its first two years, it was not a success, more so from a LEXUS selling standpoint. Again, it wasn't discontinued, Lexus has clearly done well with the 2IS.

At least we get to talk about Lexus flaws and mistakes here and admit them. No biggie.

Now, this topic is about what Infiniti has said about themselves and their need for new product and their 2nd tier status, and we end up talking about a couple Lexus mistakes.

Infiniti's history of mistakes> Lexus 2 or 3 mistakes.

The 2 carmakers are on 2 totally different paths as a BRAND. Period.

Old 02-18-06, 07:57 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Did any of the pro-Nissan guys actually read this? Stop bickering and aruguing with members here please, we didn't say ANYTHING, your own BRAND said they were Tier 2.

Again.

YOUR OWN BRAND SAID THEY ARE TIER 2 AND LEXUS IS TIER 1.

My point exactly. Game Over!

Not really. The "Brand" (i.e., Nissan/Infiniti) didn't say any such thing. A New Jersey Infiniti dealer made those comments.

Everyone knows that Infiniti is a Tier 2 brand.

But Nissan North America would never make those comments to the media.
Old 02-18-06, 08:00 PM
LexFather

Did any of the pro-Nissan guys actually read this? Stop bickering and aruguing with members here please, we didn't say ANYTHING, your own BRAND said they were Tier 2.

Again.

YOUR OWN BRAND SAID THEY ARE TIER 2 AND LEXUS IS TIER 1.

My point exactly. Game Over!

Not really. The "Brand" (i.e., Nissan/Infiniti) didn't say any such thing. A New Jersey Infiniti dealer made those comments.

Everyone knows that Infiniti is a Tier 2 brand.

But Nissan North America would never make those comments to the media.

Everyone is not some of the NIssan fans in this thread Jrock. You I can respect with your solid auto knowledge. We can debate at an adult level. You have shown your knowledge of not just the Lexus brand but other brands as well. We rarely agree and we can be quite cutthroat with one another at times but your passion for cars is incredible and its appreciated.

With that said, join us and get a Lexus

Old 02-18-06, 08:02 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Define Success and Define flop

1GS was not a sucess, clearly, no V-8 option, the I-6 was not a great performer, the car was larger than the rest in class, just the wrong approach. Clearly Lexus learned and fixed, as we are on teh 3GS now. It NEVER got discontinued.

The 1IS, I won't say is a flop. It has the lowest age demographic in its class. It won a couple reviews and was teh FIRST serious effort from anyone to take on the 3 seriously. From a SALES standpoint, outside its first two years, it was not a success, more so from a LEXUS selling standpoint. Again, it wasn't discontinued, Lexus has clearly done well with the 2IS.

At least we get to talk about Lexus flaws and mistakes here and admit them. No biggie.

Now, this topic is about what Infiniti has said about themselves and their need for new product and their 2nd tier status, and we end up talking about a couple Lexus mistakes.

Infiniti's history of mistakes> Lexus 2 or 3 mistakes.

The 2 carmakers are on 2 totally different paths as a BRAND. Period.
My example about the Lexus flops were a response to flipside909's implication that Infiniti shouldn't make an M35/45 coupe or a version of the Pathfinder because the previous generations were flops.

Lexus didn't give up after the first gen. GS and IS were flops. Infiniti shouldn't give up either.
Old 02-18-06, 08:06 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

With that said, join us and get a Lexus
Haha, why would you assume that I don't have a Lexus?

I have 2 Lexuses, in fact.
Old 02-18-06, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Haha, why would you assume that I don't have a Lexus?

I have 2 Lexuses, in fact.
WTF???? I had no idea. And I still don't really like you

Old 02-18-06, 08:12 PM
LexFather

My example about the Lexus flops were a response to flipside909's implication that Infiniti shouldn't make an M35/45 coupe or a version of the Pathfinder because the previous generations were flops.

Lexus didn't give up after the first gen. GS and IS were flops. Infiniti shouldn't give up either.
Its managment mahn. They have no vision. They got happy with a couple good years and didn't CONTINUE the progress. Now the dealers see this.

If they plan to be SERIOUS, they need a management team (hell hire ex or get Lexus employees) that has a serious vision to become a serious global brand. This means pretty much having 10 hits to 1 mistake, not the other way around.

What I would do?
Truly get Infiniti to be sporty. Slap manuals in ALL the damn cars, the M35 should have one as well as the FX 35. If they can, put them in the V-8 cars. Lexus has the hybrid market cornered, they are going after it. INfiniti needs to be the only other car maker besides BMW to offer manuals in most all its cars.

Fix the QX56 NOW. They cannot afford to be on any poor quality list.

It seems Europe likes the Nissan Skylines (G35s) grey market. Bring INfiniti over.

THey need a HALO car, not sure the sports car (GT-R) is it. You see how the new LS 460 is just ridiculous. Well, make the Q45 SUPERIOR in every aspect.

Quick Reply: Infiniti profits wane; dealers want product