Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota RAV4 14.9 @ 94 mph STOCK

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 07:45 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this means a 14 second Camry V6 as well. Considering weight of both cars (which is still unknown for the Camry), it might be slightly quicker. Not sure about that though. It would suck to see the new Camry being faster than my GS4

But I agree that the Rav4 just about kills it's competition.
Old 02-17-06, 08:29 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually read the article, it said it reached 60 in 6.3 seconds, and i agree with the author saying "

In fact, among the current-production Toyotas we’ve tested, the RAV4 is now one of the quickest in the fleet. (The Toyota Avalon is quicker, and we think the Tacoma X-Runner may be quicker still, but we haven’t tested it yet.) Did Toyota really intend that with the RAV’s redesign?"

dont know
Old 02-17-06, 08:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenty
yea its real quick for an suv, or even a car. I have to mod my solara to get to be that quick, makes me think its not worth it. Its much better looking this generation too. But wayyy too expensive. They are saying a price tag of 28k for a limited model with v6. If you ask me thats way to much for this class of car.
and a BMW X3 competes with the RAV4 in this segment and the beemer costs 37k with less power
Old 02-17-06, 10:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and a BMW X3 competes with the RAV4 in this segment and the beemer costs 37k with less power
The Rav4 needs a little bit more refinement to be considered a threat to the X3. Yes, it will have more power, but just the Toyota badging will seperate it from the X3 or ML.

It definately will kill other competitors of the same league, such as the Toureg, CR-V, and Santa Fe...
Old 02-18-06, 01:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The Rav4 needs a little bit more refinement to be considered a threat to the X3. Yes, it will have more power, but just the Toyota badging will seperate it from the X3 or ML.

It definately will kill other competitors of the same league, such as the Toureg, CR-V, and Santa Fe...
I have destroyed those last three you mentioned with my RX. The X3 is an awful vehicle from my perspective and not endemic of a real BMW unlike the X5, with really sloppy suspension.

My hats off to Toyota for the high powered Rav4 and to Lexus for the RX350, but too bad neither exists down here. Will have to take a test drive in the U.S. when I get a chane.
Old 02-18-06, 01:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spwolf
that, of course has nothing to do with taxes and customs, right? ;-)
Taxes and customs are already factored in. Camrys are about $7,000 USD more from my last check than U.S. prices for the same equipment. However, Toyota does not do a bad job in price difference compared to other companies that are bigger rip-off artists down here. Plus, Toyota has really improved in service since opening its doors and I believe they have taken over #1 from Honda. Bravo! The new Japan-Mexico trade agreement will only help.
Old 02-18-06, 07:34 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
One other thing, why don't they offer navigation on this cool Rav4!?
The question I'd like to ask is: Why does Toyota make a uselessly fast RAV-4 (yes, I know, I know, I have a similar equally uselessly fast vehicle) and not offer a (relatively speaking) line of high-performance Lexus models? The advent of this car/SUV could be very telling in terms of what's to come. I'm not going to get my hopes up for the future of Lexus if this is what Toyota chooses to bring to market. If they release a RAV-4 that runs a 14.9, they should come with an IS or GS variant that can run a 11.9.
Old 02-18-06, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

No offense but have you driven an X3 or read any reviews on it? Its the worst BMW ever made and horrible. THe SUV craze and roundel has saved it.

Old 02-18-06, 09:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
The question I'd like to ask is: Why does Toyota make a uselessly fast RAV-4 (yes, I know, I know, I have a similar equally uselessly fast vehicle) and not offer a (relatively speaking) line of high-performance Lexus models? The advent of this car/SUV could be very telling in terms of what's to come. I'm not going to get my hopes up for the future of Lexus if this is what Toyota chooses to bring to market. If they release a RAV-4 that runs a 14.9, they should come with an IS or GS variant that can run a 11.9.

Because there are very few people that want a car that runs 11.9. The IS350 and GS430 have very impressive performance as is, and if anything I dont think Toyota even ment for the Rav-4 to be so fast, it's just they they decided to stick a V6 into it, and decided to take that V6 from the heavier camry/avalong, and when they put it into the lighter RAV-4, thats what happened.
Old 02-19-06, 09:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
While no doubt not having the same reliability level - the 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 looks like a direct competitor, and I think it's better looking.

Kind of funny, but if you like GV looks, they are based of 4.2 Rav4 :-). Also, its V6 has 185hp and much lower mpg than 269 hp V6 in Rav4.

GV is more of an truck though, and will fare much better in serious off road. Rav4 is much better on road in every possible way.
Old 02-19-06, 09:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spwolf
Kind of funny, but if you like GV looks, they are based of 4.2 Rav4 :-). Also, its V6 has 185hp and much lower mpg than 269 hp V6 in Rav4.

GV is more of an truck though, and will fare much better in serious off road. Rav4 is much better on road in every possible way.
Suzuki opened its doors down here and I always have people trying to race my in these things. Sad Sad Sad
Old 02-20-06, 08:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I went to go look at a new Rav4 today. I looked over a red Rav4 "Sport". From outside, it looked GREAT. Nice rims, AWESOME paint job, nice looking body. Then I looked inside.

Ugh. I felt like I was in something VERY, VERY cheap. Seats seemed cheap, and too small. I thought the two level center control stack was hideous. The guage cluster looked ok. The rear seats are a complete joke. The seat back is so upright I defy anyone to sit in it for more than 5 minutes. It was ludicrous.

Finally, I went to the back to look at the cargo area. First, I don't like the full size spare mounted outside on the back of the rear door. The I realized it's really a DOOR - you open from the left (driver's) side. This of course means you have to plan ahead if you're going to load groceries or something else (you need the cart on the left hand side before opening the door). No thanks.

So the Rav4 looks nice, and of course the V6 power sounds impressive (this dealer didn't have a V6 model - he said they weren't available yet), but the interior and rear cargo area were a big disappointment to me.

So I wandered from there to go look at a 4Runner which I thought I wouldn't like because I haven't been a big fan of its exterior design, but I was PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. I'll save that for another thread though.