Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 11:58 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The RL was all-new for 2005....so there are minimal changes for '06.
Low-mid-40's are possible on this car if you bargain...even the salespeople told me that. Some people have reported 41K...that is probably not possible here in the high-income DC-NoVA area but maybe in some other parts of the country. I DID hear of some 2005's going for 41K ( Acura had incentives out ) but not around here.

Thanks for the excellent review and that last bit of info.

Having my son (3.5 mos old) has really changed my future plans and outlook on life (as it should) and thus rather than focusing on larger, high-$ purchase items like say the E55 I want so bad. I have since begun saving considerably more for him and/or the unexpected. This has caused me to really consider a GS, RL, M or the nicest car in the $40k range.
But I am also considering a straight purchase of say a $8-$10k car when I sell my Z and ride it for a year or so and jump on that GS460.
Old 04-24-06, 12:54 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Question... This 2006 model is all new or did it change in 05? If this car sold for say low $40's...

You have to check the details, but in 06 they added a Technology Package. I'm not sure exactly what it has, but I know it has a reverse back up camera.
Old 04-24-06, 10:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The GS300 AWD and the RL are about the same price when you add all the options the GS300 to get to similar equipment levels.
Right Bit - and the M35x is right up there as well. A couple of months ago I priced them out and they came out within a couple hundred dollars of each other.

Hypnotik - you see really good lease deals on 5-series for two reasons 1) They have incredible residuals (best in class), and BMW is helping with the money factor on everything except the 550. Makes for some juicy deals.

MMarshalll - great review.
Old 04-24-06, 11:48 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I would like to add my feelings about the Acura New Acura RL.

I drove this car for a weekend. It was stickered at 49K +. The car was Black with dark charcole interior. Stunning outside paint and perfect matching panels both inside and out. Fit and quality was a 9 + out of ten. As a Acura and both long term Lexus owner I loved this car. At the price you can buy or lease this car with a discount I don't see anything else better out there period. Someone mention the G35 and I am sorry but the G35 does not come anywhere near the Luxury quality of the Acura RL. No painted plastic panel's in the RL. Ride quality and quiteness not even close.

The wood is classic and classy. Some don't like it, some do. I loved the way it looked. It was like a art decor center peice attraction to me. The car drive's right. What ever you tell it to do it does. Drives smoothe and quite as a LS 430. Handels like a charm, nothing I did with steering and corner's upset it much, even pushing it. It's solid just like the tester said, like the Benz use to be. One solid rock. Engine is Acura all the way. Fast spinning and free revving. Good down low and up top. Seems that that V^ is perfectly matched in gearing with both trans and rear gears.

I don't think Acura has advertised the car as much as they should. This is one car that I don't think anyone would not like if they had it. The one thingI will say that was mention was that the dash is busy with button's, dials, and switches. Just a bit too many althought I think they add to the high tech theme of the car.

I remember a few years ago when I had a 94 Legend LS coupe. My wife had a 96 LS 400. One day my buddy was driving the LS400 home from the shop with me and I was in the Legend. From 60 mph dead even he started to floor the LS 400 and got the jump on me. My Legend imeadeatly pulled even with him and started to walk away with command until we back out at about 100 mph. If Acura ever does make a V8. Everybody will be playing catch up. But..... Honda being Honda, they are just doing their own thing and are not going to play follow the leader. Seems like they would rather be a big fish in a small pond, than a small fish in a big pond.

mmarshal, excellent write up and call on the new RL.

And OH Yeah, I think they should have renamed that new RL the "Legend" again, it would have sold like crazy.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-24-06 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-25-06, 04:52 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgscott
And OH Yeah, I think they should have renamed that new RL the "Legend" again, it would have sold like crazy.
I've been wondering about this. Since Acura is getting blasted anyway by members of this board for "doing the usual Honda thing of stubbornly pushing their own way without regard to their customers", why not just abandon the luxury-car standard alphanumeric names and return to meaningful names for their cars?

Why Acura felt that giving up the established Legend and Integra names would work is beyond me--that was a classic failed case of following the lemmings. At this point, they could set themselves apart by returning to real names for their cars, which are generally accepted (even grudgingly by their detractors) as outstanding.
Old 04-25-06, 05:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I remember a few years ago when I had a 94 Legend LS coupe. My wife had a 96 LS 400. One day my buddy was driving the LS400 home from the shop with me and I was in the Legend. From 60 mph dead even he started to floor the LS 400 and got the jump on me. My Legend imeadeatly pulled even with him and started to walk away with command until we back out at about 100 mph. If Acura ever does make a V8. Everybody will be playing catch up. But..... Honda being Honda, they are just doing their own thing and are not going to play follow the leader. Seems like they would rather be a big fish in a small pond, than a small fish in a big pond.

I think some of those older LS400 might have been overrated too (in power). My dream car was the 94-95 legend GS or LS coupe. 230hp in a 3.2L V6 was damn nice. I loved the pulling power in 3rd gear, despite that I had a 92 legend LS sedan with 200hp stock (Of course mine wasn't stock under the hood ). By far the best car I've owned so far. Maybe I'll get another one as my weekend car, and keep my GS400 as a daily driver.
Old 04-25-06, 05:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Iceman
I've been wondering about this. Since Acura is getting blasted anyway by members of this board for "doing the usual Honda thing of stubbornly pushing their own way without regard to their customers", why not just abandon the luxury-car standard alphanumeric names and return to meaningful names for their cars?

Why Acura felt that giving up the established Legend and Integra names would work is beyond me--that was a classic failed case of following the lemmings. At this point, they could set themselves apart by returning to real names for their cars, which are generally accepted (even grudgingly by their detractors) as outstanding.

I too wondered about this. I guess it was because everyone was doing the numerical name game. BMW with their 3, 5, 7-series, mercedes with their C, L, CL, etc class, Lexus with their GS, LS, etc.

I wish Acura would bring back the integra and legend name. Those name actually meant something. Today, TSX and RSX can easily be confused since it's so similar.
Old 04-25-06, 05:36 PM
bazop
Rookie

Does anybody else think the wheels on the acura are very plain-jane looking? I personally like the RL but think it is definitley understated (body wise) and the wheels don't help it. I think it would be sharper with a different style wheels (also bigger and with a chrome option).
Old 04-25-06, 05:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes their wheels do suck. The only good looking rims that i've seen on an acura stock are the post-97' NSX rims.
Old 04-25-06, 05:56 PM
LexFather

I can answer why Acuras have random names now.
You had
Legend
Vigor
Intergra
NSX
Now Acura was just floored when Lexus and to a lesser extent Infiinti came years after them and outside the Legend, made the brand an afterthought with luxury consumers. I think we can ALL agree, Acura management in the 90s, especially the mid 90s, had no clue. They didn't blame the product. They blamed THE NAMES!

Acura researchers came to the conclusion that people were referring to their cars as "Legend/vigor etc" instead of "I have an Acura. They wanted to build the brand on being an "Acura" and decided "to hell with the perfect and well known names we have, lets confuse America with random names". The first Acura like this was the 2.5 TL and 3.2 TL. I remember the first article one them in Road and Track, the first page covered the renaming. They didn't like it.

I think we can ALL agree, when you say"Legend and Intergra (not really Vigor) to this day, INSTANTLY the car comes to mind, and you DO know its an Acura.

Its not like people were clueless. Hell to this day, when you say "Acura" the first and sometimes only car that comes to mind is the LEGEND. It had that much impact.

And to an extent, you can see Acura's dilemna. People referred to their cars as "Legends" not Acuras. Its the other way around with everyone else, no matter you drive a 318ti hatchback to a SL 65 to a LX 470. I have a "BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus". Its rare people say the WHOLE name "oh I have a E320 Mercedes Benz".

Now, its clear German names for the most part makes PERFECT sense. Lexus to a lesser extent, they kind of jump around but some do make sense.

Acura names have no method to the madness

Coupes
NSX, then CL, (when sedans used the latter L), and RSX (goes with NSX).
then BLAM outta nowhere
CSX (in Canada, a sedan)

Sedans
TL, RL (makes sense)
then BLAM outta nowhere
TSX (and like above CSX)

SUVs
SLX, (discontinued), then MDX, now RDX (makes some sense)

So now, people have the chance to say "I own an Acura". Thing is now the product isn't there. I notice Acura owners say their names "I have a TL" or "I have a MDX" BEFORE they say "I own an Acura". And when I do hear "I have an Acura", the other person says "A LEGEND". Then they change the cars so much and so often (outside the RL), people can't connect the car and name. Look at the TL. The 3 generations we have look NOTHING alike. It confuses people that are NOT gearheads like us.

Cadillac has the SAME issue. CTS, STS, DTS, BLAH

They should have kept SEVILLE, DEVILLE, CATERA, etc.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH NAMES!!!!

Old 04-25-06, 05:59 PM
LexFather

And please, I am not arguing. I am explaining the why's behind the name changes.

Even Lexus is odd. ES/IS/GS/LS.

G comes before I, so technically, IMO, the GS and IS should swap names.

RX comes after LX but is the smaller SUV.

I think Lexus didn't have enough sight to see the future and got stuck on LS as the flagship and the LX would be the flagship.

Its also odd that the GX and GS are correct, in being the middle cars, but the LX has quad lamps, not the GX. The GX face looks like the previous LS one, no?

Old 04-25-06, 06:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can answer why Acuras have random names now.
You had
Legend
Vigor
Intergra
NSX
Now Acura was just floored when Lexus and to a lesser extent Infiinti came years after them and outside the Legend, made the brand an afterthought with luxury consumers. I think we can ALL agree, Acura management in the 90s, especially the mid 90s, had no clue. They didn't blame the product. They blamed THE NAMES!

Acura researchers came to the conclusion that people were referring to their cars as "Legend/vigor etc" instead of "I have an Acura. They wanted to build the brand on being an "Acura" and decided "to hell with the perfect and well known names we have, lets confuse America with random names". The first Acura like this was the 2.5 TL and 3.2 TL. I remember the first article one them in Road and Track, the first page covered the renaming. They didn't like it.

I think we can ALL agree, when you say"Legend and Intergra (not really Vigor) to this day, INSTANTLY the car comes to mind, and you DO know its an Acura.

Its not like people were clueless. Hell to this day, when you say "Acura" the first and sometimes only car that comes to mind is the LEGEND. It had that much impact.

And to an extent, you can see Acura's dilemna. People referred to their cars as "Legends" not Acuras. Its the other way around with everyone else, no matter you drive a 318ti hatchback to a SL 65 to a LX 470. I have a "BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus". Its rare people say the WHOLE name "oh I have a E320 Mercedes Benz".

Now, its clear German names for the most part makes PERFECT sense. Lexus to a lesser extent, they kind of jump around but some do make sense.

Acura names have no method to the madness

Coupes
NSX, then CL, (when sedans used the latter L), and RSX (goes with NSX).
then BLAM outta nowhere
CSX (in Canada, a sedan)

Sedans
TL, RL (makes sense)
then BLAM outta nowhere
TSX (and like above CSX)

SUVs
SLX, (discontinued), then MDX, now RDX (makes some sense)

So now, people have the chance to say "I own an Acura". Thing is now the product isn't there. I notice Acura owners say their names "I have a TL" or "I have a MDX" BEFORE they say "I own an Acura". And when I do hear "I have an Acura", the other person says "A LEGEND". Then they change the cars so much and so often (outside the RL), people can't connect the car and name. Look at the TL. The 3 generations we have look NOTHING alike. It confuses people that are NOT gearheads like us.

Cadillac has the SAME issue. CTS, STS, DTS, BLAH

They should have kept SEVILLE, DEVILLE, CATERA, etc.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH NAMES!!!!
The first time I actually agreed
Old 04-25-06, 07:08 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Woah, this Lexus fourm is being pertty hard on Acura. Ok a couple of things:

Acura's customers are not complaining, it others that are comparing cars for $ 20K grand more complaining. The upscale RL was designed for the guy who use to drive a Integra. And now car afford more. What more can you lease for $2000 down and $575 a month than the RL ? Any Honda dealer will still change the oil in it for $19 - $29.

As far as wheels, Honda/ Acura has never been into wheels. It's just not their thing. Acura is not going out of business. They ran that NSX to prove how smart they are for about 13 years. S2000 redline is 9000 RPM ! The MDX is still selling like crazy, and the TL which is not for competing with the cars people compare it to, is holding resale like crazy. Acura dealers are selling 04 TL's certified that stickered at $32K new for $29K with 20-30 K miles certified today. RSX and RSX type R's are rare as hell, hard to find and a TSX which is a Civic all the way no matter what anybody says, sells for $ 24K used.

I have driven the old TLS new TL, own the CLS, the old and New RL and they just work and really don't compare to anything else. Lets not forget that the V6 Acura 3.2 -3.5 are in the elite class for ability to still go 300,000 + miles with even half *** servicing while others have dropped by the wayside, and still run like sewing machines..

Question ? - How many 05 used/preowned RL's are there out there for sale ? Can you say resale value ? Not hard to find a 05 Lex, BMW, Benz, Infinity M, Q, or G, Jag that sold for the same price new . I hear everybody complaing, but Acura themselfs. There have been lots of cars that have had to grow on us and I think this will be one.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-25-06 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-25-06, 07:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I never really complained about Acura. Hell I use to own one. Acura for spirit diring. Lexus if you want to doze off while driving.

But you're right, Acura holds their resale value for a reason!
Old 04-25-06, 07:45 PM
LexFather

Woah, this Lexus fourm is being pertty hard on Acura. Ok a couple of things:

Acura's customers are not complaining, it others that are comparing cars for $ 20K grand more complaining. The upscale RL was designed for the guy who use to drive a Integra. And now car afford more. What more can you lease for $2000 down and $575 a month than the RL ?

As far as wheels, Honda/ Acura has never been into wheels. It's just not their thing. Acura is not going out of business. They ran that NSX to prove how smart they are for about 13 years. The MDX is still selling like crazy, and the TL which is not for competing with the cars people compare it to, is holding resale like crazy. Acura dealers are selling 04 TL's certified that stickered at $32K new for $29K with 20-30 K miles certified today. RSX and RSX type R's are rear as hell, hard to find and a TSX which is a Civic all the way no matter what anybody says, sells for $ 24K used.

I have driven the old TLS new TL, own the CLS, the old and New RL and they just work and really don't compare to anything else. Lets not forget that the V6 Acura 3.2 -3.5 are in the elite class for ability to still go 300,000 + miles.

Question - How many 05 used/preowned RL's are there out there for sale ? I hear everybody complaing, but Acura themselfs. There have been lots of cars that have had to grow on us and I think this will be one.
I never complain about stock wheels. They are stock. The Bean counters pick wheels. If I want nice wheels, that is what the aftermarket it for.

Acura internally is complaiing about the RL. 1. The sales target was 20k the first year, they sold 17k. They have stated a deconted RL may help. Its a HUGE GIANT deal internally, when your flagship, your pinnacle of excellence is not well recieved. Not just Acura but ANY brand.

Anyway carry on. Good brand, just not for me. (except a nice 2nd hand NSX)

Quick Reply: Review: 2006 Acura RL