Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura dealers expect cheaper RL as it is not living up to expectations

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 05:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Having reviewed both cars I feel the RL is FAR superior to the TL in almost every way....but I respect other opinons.......yours especially.
I agree it's far superior,plus it's made in Japan unlike American made TL. but it's not worth the premium over the TL, that's what most people perceive anyway.
They have to do something now, so decontenting the RL to give potential customers a choice to pay less for a car without unwanted options is the only thing they can do in the short term. How much it will help sales remains to be seen.
As for the other ideas of not selling the TSX/RSX as Acura's, plus adding a V8, they can't do that right away, they may have to rethink their strategy for the brand & implement those gradually over the longer term . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-21-06 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 05:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I agree it's far superior,plus it's made in Japan unlike American made TL. but it's not worth the premium over the TL, that's what most people perceive anyway.
They have to do something now, so decontenting the RL to give potential customers a choice to pay less for a car without unwanted options is the only thing they can do in the short term. How much it will help sales remains to be seen.
As for the other ideas of not selling the TSX/RSX as Acura's, plus adding a V8, they can't do that right away, they may have to rethink their strategy for the brand & implement those gradually over the longer term . . .
U hit the nail on the head.

Old 02-21-06, 05:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Sick nailed it right on the head - the RL is not impressive enough to win people over their favorite brands and at the same time it is not impressing Acura loyalists (TL owners).

There's no freaking way im gonna buy an RL if I can get a GS430 or M45 for about the same money, and if I can't quite afford the V8, I'd settle down for GS300 or M35 which are cheaper than the RL.

But then I hear you can get the RL for 43k nowadays, and it's not surprising me at all, the old RL with 44k tag could be had for 33k in the last few years of production.
Old 02-21-06, 06:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

On top of that, I would like to add, the RL while not being appealing enough to steal customer from other brands, was also a major disappointment to Honda/Acura loyalists. The old RL has not been changed for about 9 years, and the new RL was much anticipated and rumored to have a 4.0 high output V8. It may be a great car but it simply did not live up to the expectations and left many disappointed. It's kinda like the new GS with rather weak V6 and carry over V8 is experiencing slow sales, but come the new 3.5 and 4.6 the sales will go through the roof.

Me personally, I've always loved Honda's and Toyota's, but when I was at Acura dealership looking at TL and TSX, I didn't even bother to sit in the new RL, just glanced over it. Come to think of it, all it needs is two more cylinders and .5L of displacement and it will turn from major disappointment into greatest hit for many people.
Old 02-21-06, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There's no freaking way im gonna buy an RL if I can get a GS430 or M45 for about the same money, and if I can't quite afford the V8, I'd settle down for GS300 or M35 which are cheaper than the RL.

I'm not going to play the role of salesman here......that is not my job.......but there are advantages and disadvantages to both cases here.

The GS430 and M45, yes, will give you a V8 for the RL's price, but neither will have AWD like the RL.....and you live in NY state where it snows. The GS300 AWD and M35X sell in roughly the RL's range...the RL lists for a little more but has bigger incentives. if it were my money it would be a tossup.....I like the RL's bank-vault solidity, hardware, and sophisticated AWD system, but I like the GS300 AWD's jewel-like refinement, smoother operation, and quietness.
Old 02-21-06, 06:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'm not going to play the role of salesman here......that is not my job.......but there are advantages and disadvantages to both cases here.

The GS430 and M45, yes, will give you a V8 for the RL's price, but neither will have AWD like the RL.....and you live in NY state where it snows. The GS300 AWD and M35X sell in roughly the RL's range...the RL lists for a little more but has bigger incentives. if it were my money it would be a tossup.....I like the RL's bank-vault solidity, hardware, and sophisticated AWD system, but I like the GS300 AWD's jewel-like refinement, smoother operation, and quietness.

But see, the GS430 and M45 will get me into the Lexus/Infiniti showroom, and even if I drive out in the GS300 or M35 its still a sale for them. Acura has nothing that will get me into the showroom.
Old 02-21-06, 06:15 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the V8 S80 rumors too.....we'll wait and see.

As far as the General killing off the Saab 9-5, Saab's have never had V8's to start with....you can't kill what never existed. Only the recently introduced 9-7X has a V8 option........a GM 5.3L......and that is not a true Saab but a Chevy-designed SUV with a couple of Saab touches.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing with 1SICKLEX or denying what he said......I basically agree with him that Acura's lack of a V8 is hurting their image. It's just that have a DAMN good substitute for a V8, that's all.
You know, I am not as stuck on a V8 as it might seem. I also wasn't trying to say that the 9-5 or any Saab had a V8 or would get one. I am just saying that as a past Saab owner, I feel it is going down hill at a good clip due to the General. I could make an argument that the 9-5 is a viable option to the RL but the Saab is trying so hard to get even further out of the mainstream that I wouldn't seriously think of it anymore.

As for the RL, I don't think has a clear idea of what they want Acura to be. Near Luxury might not be a tenable spot for their lineup. Or maybe they should just drop the RL and concentrate on the lower end. They seem to be more successful there. At least the RL diehards have to admit that it didn't make much impact in the market afterall.
Old 02-21-06, 06:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think Sick nailed it right on the head - the RL is not impressive enough to win people over their favorite brands and at the same time it is not impressing Acura loyalists (TL owners).

But then I hear you can get the RL for 43k nowadays, and it's not surprising me at all, the old RL with 44k tag could be had for 33k in the last few years of production.
Well yea like I said in my previous post, many of my friends customers who were originally interested in the RL end up purchasing the TL. After all the numbers are crunched, and they notice what the RL offers over the TL many feel its just not worth it(I personally agree with that as well). The little RLs they sell, they sell around 42K and at the end of the month a little under invoice. So thats around 40K.

Me and another member on another forum had a nice debate about them too. Basically came up with the conclusion that Acura is not the brand that really takes a lead in anything. They are more for following the trend and placing a model in its respective category to compete. They like to maintain or just get by with what they have. They rather not put all the money into a big V8 when they thought they could just get by with a V6. They rather not update the NSX when they thought they can just get by with the current one(and now its discontinued with a future still up in the air). They rather not drop the RSX and push forward to be a stronger bigger brand when they rather just maintain and keep the car in its lineup. Why make the TL a RWD to truely compete when they are doing fine with it as a FWD?? Just make it more sporty insteard of changing the drive wheels.Which is probably another reason why they wont(shall I say cant) sell bigger more expensive cars. Along with all the other facts that has been posted before me. Something else to think about.
Old 02-21-06, 07:06 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that is Acura's problem. Their flagship car is being stacked up against the other
brands' middle child. I had to make this decision 4 months ago and I found the fit and
finish of the RL inferior to the GS300's. Acura also played it safe and made the most
boring looking exterior of any car in its class.

With Lexus I am very excited about the new products : LS460, GS450h, GS460,
GS350, maybe even a V8 IS hardtop? What should I trade in for in 2 years?

With Acura all I can say is : Is that the best they can do?
Old 02-21-06, 11:51 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I think the RL has not been a big hit for one simple reason: STYLING.

It's just a very boring and safe looking car. I was driving next to one this afternoon and was completely unimpressed considering it is the flaship vehicle for Acura. The proportions are nice,
but it just doesn't set itself apart from the rest of the $40-50K cars.

It just doesn't look luxurious. I think Honda's 'play it safe' styling is really leaving the company trailing other nameplates. Nissan/Infiniti has really pushed their styling and it has paid off. People with big bucks to spend on cars don't want something that blends in with the rest of the crowd.

This car just does not move me in anyway no matter what technology you build into it.
Attached Thumbnails Acura dealers expect cheaper RL as it is not living up to expectations-05.acura.rl.f34.500.jpg  
Old 02-22-06, 12:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

same here. maybe the car is really rare, but i really only see a handful of them around, even in socal. and dunno, every time i see it, i have to look hard to make sure it's the rl. it definitely doesn't spell a flagship to me at all, nothing like the ls, 7, a8, or s to me. i don't know hy, probably it's the style?
Old 02-22-06, 06:55 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree its the style. Its weak.
Old 02-22-06, 07:38 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

The styling of the RL in stock trim is weak, but having the pleasure of driving and riding in one on a weekly basis I can tell you that this is one impressive car. Tons of features and rides very nice...
The interior trim and design is to my liking and if the incentives were significant enough, I would choose this over the GS3.

The all wheel drive is a major selling point for the east coast crew
Old 02-22-06, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
I think the RL has not been a big hit for one simple reason: STYLING.

It's just a very boring and safe looking car.
I have to agree. And the rims look like they belong on a Kia, not a $50K car. Heck a Ford Fusion has better rims.

The 'packaging'/space-efficiency of the car is nice but luxury cars aren't purely about 'functionality' there must be more emotion. That has been Lexus' problem as well to some extent (boring designs) and they seem to be addressing that some - the new LS for example is a more exciting design than any previous model.

Acura has a small number of products and tries to do a lot with each but has limited option configurations and luxury buyers like variation and customization. Lexus has a MUCH bigger product line and more option variation within each. This gives the dealers a better chance to 'catch' a customer with the right configuration / price.

And then there's the dealerships themselves. An Acura dealership looks like a 'slightly' upscale Honda dealership. Lexus dealerships now have these HUGE high showroom buildings which are impressive and make people special when they visit.

The RL is a very nice, technologically advanced and innovative vehicle. But it's trying to do too much with a weak brand infrastructure behind it.

Bottom line: ALL HAIL 1SICKLEX.
Old 02-22-06, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I have to agree. And the rims look like they belong on a Kia, not a $50K car. Heck a Ford Fusion has better rims.

Acura has a small number of products and tries to do a lot with each but has limited option configurations and luxury buyers like variation and customization. Lexus has a MUCH bigger product line and more option variation within each. This gives the dealers a better chance to 'catch' a customer with the right configuration / price.

And then there's the dealerships themselves. An Acura dealership looks like a 'slightly' upscale Honda dealership. Lexus dealerships now have these HUGE high showroom buildings which are impressive and make people special when they visit.

Bottom line: ALL HAIL 1SICKLEX.
hhahaa dont' say that bit. personally it's not until 06 that i think the wheels on lexus are improving

acura definitely needs time. although they started out about the same time, but acura has definitely been way too slow on growing and took couple of very wrong directions. that's why the gap between it and lexus. same to dealership, if they can't have the kind of profit, it's hard for them to have the kind of lexus dealership experience.

that's why i don't hink reducing the price is a good move for them

Quick Reply: Acura dealers expect cheaper RL as it is not living up to expectations