Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura dealers expect cheaper RL as it is not living up to expectations

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 07:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
HRE 448R on my G35c

BBS on my SC430. I'll have to switch to some 20" with fat lips before I even dare pose pics of the car in the SC430 forum again
If u ever think of selling the BBS, give me a holla first

Old 02-22-06, 09:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Never saw a pic of her with it. Looks great!!
Thanks man, ready to buy it?

Sorry, WAY OT.
Old 02-22-06, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

in general, for oem wheels, i think mb have some great designs. i think a lot of companies should learn from them
Old 02-23-06, 12:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Acura needs to get rid of the RSX. A luxury brand shouldn't have a car that cost around $20k, and have nothing to show for it. The RSX is basically a normal car, yet because you can get it with leather seats, it all of the sudden appears to be a near luxury car. Same with the TSX. Lexus' low-end priced cars (ES/IS) are priced around $30k. Same goes with BMW and Mercedes.

Acura needs at least a car that has rwd, specifically the TL if it wants to compete with the 3-series and IS-series.
Old 02-23-06, 12:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GSteg
Acura needs to get rid of the RSX. A luxury brand shouldn't have a car that cost around $20k, and have nothing to show for it. The RSX is basically a normal car, yet because you can get it with leather seats, it all of the sudden appears to be a near luxury car. Same with the TSX. Lexus' low-end priced cars (ES/IS) are priced around $30k. Same goes with BMW and Mercedes.

Acura needs at least a car that has rwd, specifically the TL if it wants to compete with the 3-series and IS-series.
pretty much in line with what most of us think here. now if they do listen
Old 02-23-06, 05:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
in general, for oem wheels, i think mb have some great designs. i think a lot of companies should learn from them
Yes, the AMG/AMG package models(where extra $ is tagged on the kit & the wheels) have some good rims, but have you seen those standard on the S class 4matics( & previously all standard S class) ? I won't put those on a civic LOL
Old 02-23-06, 06:33 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The RL to in my opinion is a good value compared to some competition however many do not seem to have love for a Japanese vehicle that's priced near $50,000 unless it's a Lexus. The TSX should be made RWD and made more powerful to compare with the likes of the IS and 3-Series. I have a feeling if the Acura CL was RWD it would have been more successful.
Old 02-23-06, 07:51 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusChris
The RL to in my opinion is a good value compared to some competition however many do not seem to have love for a Japanese vehicle that's priced near $50,000 unless it's a Lexus. The TSX should be made RWD and made more powerful to compare with the likes of the IS and 3-Series. I have a feeling if the Acura CL was RWD it would have been more successful.
I don't think anyone is disputing that the RL is a fine car and a good value, but
the fit and finish of a GS wins hands down. The styling of the GS may be
controversial or bland, but it is a superbly build automobile. Part of the problem
is perception, but part of it is reality as well.

Acura (to their credit) is a very practical company, but with the RL this is limiting
since luxury is about excess not pragmatism. You really need that V8? Not really,
but that doesn't mean we don't want one
Old 02-23-06, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

yeah i agree it's not coz' "It's an acura and it's bad" or "it's a lexus so it's good". when acura has their flagship rl and it can only go against say the gs, that's a problem right there. that only means they are missing something else on top of the rl to say the least (and i will leave out all the built quality, etc...)

not too long ago acura talked about raising the image of their brand name, we will see. i think they need more than just the image
Old 02-23-06, 09:20 AM
LexFather

Wink

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks man, ready to buy it?

Sorry, WAY OT.
If its hanging around in a couple of....

whoa, WAAAAY OT

Old 02-23-06, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I don't think anyone is disputing that the RL is a fine car and a good value, but the fit and finish of a GS wins hands down.
Not sure how you can say this. mmarshall's review praised the fit and finish and solid feel of the RL, and in the 3GS forum on here there's quite a lot of talks about squeaks, creaks, and a few other issues. Not saying either vehicle is bad at all but I don't believe for a second that the 3GS wins 'hands down' in fit and finish over the RL.

The styling of the GS may be controversial or bland, but it is a superbly build automobile.
I think the exact same things can be said about the RL.

Part of the problem is perception, but part of it is reality as well.

Acura (to their credit) is a very practical company, but with the RL this is limiting
since luxury is about excess not pragmatism. You really need that V8? Not really,
but that doesn't mean we don't want one
True! I think if Acura brought out a V8 RL it would increase sales of the *V6* version too. Maybe call the V8 one the RL-S.
Old 02-23-06, 10:14 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how you can say this. mmarshall's review praised the fit and finish and solid feel of the RL, and in the 3GS forum on here there's quite a lot of talks about squeaks, creaks, and a few other issues. Not saying either vehicle is bad at all but I don't believe for a second that the 3GS wins 'hands down' in fit and finish over the RL.
I had a rattle problem on my GS as well, but I was evaluating the gaps, the contours
and the quality of the paint job. Maybe I am wearing Lexus colored glasses, but to
me the GS is quite a bit better in this respect. The interior is also subjective, but the
metal radio in the middle of the RL is a complete buzzkill for me...

True! I think if Acura brought out a V8 RL it would increase sales of the *V6* version too. Maybe call the V8 one the RL-S.
I think it's time they do it if they want to be a luxury brand. This does not guarantee success,
as Infiniti knows from its Q45 sales figures.
Old 02-25-06, 09:14 PM
rdollie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually Volvo made it official earlier this month. The new S80 comes with either the new I6 motor or the V8 with AWD and some other goodies. You can find details here (the second set of pictures further down the page are better):

New Volvo S80

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've heard the V8 S80 rumors too.....we'll wait and see.

Old 02-25-06, 10:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Realtime Racings TSX beats 3 series all the time, just because its FWD doesnt mean its automatically junk. TSX is probably the best handling chassis in its class. It wins C&D 10best for the sports sedan slot for the past 2 years despite going against cars that outpower it and are RWD/AWD. I suggest you test drive one first
Old 02-26-06, 06:27 PM
jhr3uva90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I think the Acura dealerships are a MAJOR part of the problem. They are just inconsistent in their quality. RL sales are not universally bad, just regionally bad. A some of it has to do with geography: customers in areas that are flat or have mild weather don't see the need for an AWD car. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that Acura dealerships in some parts of the U.S. are NOT true luxury dealers. When Toyota established Lexus, they set strict rules for the dealerships to follow; Honda was not so strict when establishing Acura. Unfortunately, Acura has been suffering the consequences ever since, and Acura will never be able to sell a vehicle for a base price of over $40K if that situation is not resolved. In other words, Acura dealerships need to become more like Lexus dealerships if they want to try to sell Lexus-like cars.

Quick Reply: Acura dealers expect cheaper RL as it is not living up to expectations