Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

G37, M37, FX37 trademarked by Nissan!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 07:07 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like glock is coming out with (or came out with) a G37 model...
Old 02-21-06, 07:13 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't discount the new engine not having up to date technology. I wouldn't be surprised if it has direct injection - they'll need to do something to keep the mpg in an acceptable range.
Old 02-21-06, 07:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
It's all conjecture at this point.

But it's rumored to have about 320 hp, probably with direct injection. And probably coupled with a 6 speed auto.

I think of it as similar to how Lexus is boring and stroking the 4.3 UZ to a 4.6 UZ, but with significant improvements so that it's not simply a displacement increase.

G37 doesn't sound as fly as G35, but people will probably get used to it after a couple years.

So... what's first? M37 or GS350?
Wait, so now Lexus has confirmed that it's 4.6L is a UZ, and that it's simply a bored and stroked version of it's 4.3L UZ ( which in turn was bored and stroked from the original 4.0L UZ) ? Really, and where did you find this information from?

You seem to be behind the times. The LS460's new engine has been confirmed by Japanese sources to be the 1UR-FSE. Ya, you read that right, UR. In other words, a new engine block different from the UZ. This is more than just a big improvement, it's a practically a completely new block, as big a move as Toyota going from its MZ V6 engines to its current new GR V6 engines.

We will see if the 3.7L is just an updated VQ, or a brand new engine block.
Old 02-21-06, 07:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I agree to an extent. Nissan did totally raise the stakes making this huge V-6 at 3.5 liters, and clearly, the rest of the industry followed suit.
I got a chuckle out of this cuz WAY before your time in the early 70s when I still lived in England my Dad had a Vauxhall Ventora (he had 2 in a row actually), which as you probably know, is a GM brand. Anyway, radically, for Britain, this car had a 3.3L STRAIGHT SIX! And it was REAR WHEEL DRIVE which apart from Jags and a few others, was pretty rare. This car was GREAT. A large 4 door sedan (saloon as the Brits say).

I just found a web page with specs which now seem laughable (and slow!), but at the time this car was hot stuff.

Specs: http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio...51161&Vauxhall

A not so great pic I found online:
Attached Thumbnails G37, M37, FX37 trademarked by Nissan!-ventora.jpg  
Old 02-21-06, 08:07 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

And besides the fact those letters of the alphabet suck, so do the numbers. 37, it sounds so stimulating
Monikers like the GS, GX, LX, etc. are just amazing and full of emotion......
Old 02-21-06, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Monikers like the GS, GX, LX, etc. are just amazing and full of emotion......
shift_2nd tier

Old 02-21-06, 08:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I think of it as similar to how Lexus is boring and stroking the 4.3 UZ to a 4.6 UZ, but with significant improvements so that it's not simply a displacement increase.
It would be boring if that was the case. But the new 4.6L is an all new V8. The UR Series V8 block w/direct injection technology is far more advanced than the previous. The UZ block is legendary and is nothing to be ashamed about.
Old 02-21-06, 08:38 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
It would be boring if that was the case. But the new 4.6L is an all new V8. The UR Series V8 block w/direct injection technology is far more advanced than the previous. The UZ block is legendary and is nothing to be ashamed about.
I thought that you had posted a while back that the 4.6L was going to be a revised 4.3L UZ. Must have misread your post.
Old 02-21-06, 08:44 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

shift_2nd tier
I see.....

Well then, carry on with your usual Infiniti/Acura bashing.
Old 02-21-06, 11:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I know Nissan probrably does not have the money for it but I think if Infiniti want to be a direct challenger to BMW then they should develope a new smooth high performance inline six for Infiniti vehicles. The inline 6 would be easy to turbocharge for performance models. The inline 6 should only be used in Infiniti cars which will help differentiate Infiniti from Nissan. The VQ seems to be getting rougher and not as smooth as it used to be each time they enlarge it. It is also not getting the best gas mileage so maybe it is time for a new design.

It seems like the top 3 Japanese companies are getting a little out of hand increasing the size of their v-6s for power. Japanese companies were known for getting the most out of smaller sized engines and did not have to resort to large displacement increases like American companies but now Nissan is going to use a 3.7 liter, Toyota is using a 4 liter and jumping to a 3.5 liter when it was using 3 liters for most of its v-6 cars, honda is using a 3.5 liter in more cars and trucks where it normally used 3-3.2 liters. People used to critisize the GM 3.8 liter pushrod v-6 for being too big where Japanese v-6 were making more power with 3-3.2 liter engines but things are changing. I don't really think the new Camry or Avalon need a 3.5 liter engine making 250+ hp since they are not sporty or built for performance. It would make more sense for Toyota to use the 3 liter from the new GS300 in the new Camry, Avalon, Rav4 etc and save the 3.5 for sportier more expensive Lexus models. I think Honda, Toyota, and Nissan with all their experience and resourses should be able to make 250-320hp from smaller displacement v-6s faround 3.2-3.4 liters instead of jumping to 3.5-3.7 liters.

Last edited by UDel; 02-24-06 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-24-06, 02:58 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I'm curious to see what the 3.7L will get in mpg. Gas efficiency is pretty much the only weakness of the VQ engines.

Direct injection and a 6 speed auto will improve mpg, but the displacement increase will hurt mpg. I'm hoping for something like 20/27 for the automatic sedan.
Old 02-24-06, 03:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
I see.....

Well then, carry on with your usual Infiniti/Acura bashing.
Hey bub THEY said it (2nd tier), I just repeated it, thus that is not bashing. Calling them 5th tier, that would be bashing.
I'm curious to see what the 3.7L will get in mpg. Gas efficiency is pretty much the only weakness of the VQ engines.

Direct injection and a 6 speed auto will improve mpg, but the displacement increase will hurt mpg. I'm hoping for something like 20/27 for the automatic sedan.
I am also wondering will torque jump back up, with the additional displacement. Seems the competition is just adding more technology with their 3.5s (the new Benz press release, 3 turbo, IS 350), Nissan to continue it's HP edge (one of the main reasons people buy), has to increase displacement.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-24-06 at 04:41 PM.

Old 02-24-06, 03:10 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Nissan could probably match the IS350's 306 hp rating by adding direct injection and other improvements. They always want to be on top though.

The main real life advantage for the extra .2 liters would be low-end torque. The extra 10 or 15 horsepower in an already high-output engine would be virtually useless in 99.9% of driving situations.

I'm guessing the 3.7L would make about 290 torque, which is tons for a V6.
Old 02-24-06, 07:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Nissan could probably match the IS350's 306 hp rating by adding direct injection and other improvements. They always want to be on top though.

The main real life advantage for the extra .2 liters would be low-end torque. The extra 10 or 15 horsepower in an already high-output engine would be virtually useless in 99.9% of driving situations.

I'm guessing the 3.7L would make about 290 torque, which is tons for a V6.
It can also be argued that the VQ is not as refined as Toyota's V6 engines.

I am interested in seeing what Nissan does with this engine. Likely they may pair it with a CVT to increase economy.
Old 02-24-06, 08:09 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It can also be argued that the VQ is not as refined as Toyota's V6 engines.

I am interested in seeing what Nissan does with this engine. Likely they may pair it with a CVT to increase economy.
The VQ is definitely not as smooth and turbine-like as the GR engines. The VQ engines are more throaty and guttural. Some people like the former, some like the latter.

Nissan said that only the FWD cars will get the CVT. They'll likely go with a 6 speed auto for Infiniti.

Quick Reply: G37, M37, FX37 trademarked by Nissan!