Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

G37, M37, FX37 trademarked by Nissan!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 08:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
The VQ is definitely not as smooth and turbine-like as the GR engines. The VQ engines are more throaty and guttural. Some people like the former, some like the latter.

Nissan said that only the FWD cars will get the CVT. They'll likely go with a 6 speed auto for Infiniti.
I guess I missed that about their CVTs. Well then in that case fuel economy may or may not improve, depending on if this is a new engine, or an updated VQ.
Old 02-25-06, 04:13 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Oh they have no interest in alternative technology? When the 2007 V6 Altima Hybrid is coming out? LOL

TQ was slightly loss. And it was only because of the intake system of the car and can easily be fixed with a MREV kit.

Let's not forget the Pathfinder and Xterra have the 4.0 VQ.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I agree to an extent. Nissan did totally raise the stakes making this huge V-6 at 3.5 liters, and clearly, the rest of the industry followed suit.
This is a company though, that still does not follow the new SAE guidelines. They also have almost no interest in alternative technology.

Sales for the brand have been down 4 consecutive months. The other thing is torque, will they regain it or lose more of it? The 3.5 has been stretched to 300/298 hp but it was higher in the RPM range and the torque was lost in the process.

Whatever the case, this engine pretty much can do no wrong, on the the best engines made by any auto company and I am sure at 3.7 liters, more power will come.

Not sure which car comes first, good point. And the 4.0 to 4.3 was a bore and stroke. The new 4.6 is an all new engine.

Any news on a new V-8?
Old 02-25-06, 04:16 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Nissan has a 4.0L VQ in the Xterra ... what's your point? Toyota has had a 4.0L V6 since 2003 in the 4Runner, and then was added to the Tundra and Tacoma, as well as most recently the FJ Cruiser.

Those are truck engines, and although based on the same block, they differ from the car engines like the VQ35. You won't be seeing the VQ40 in any Nissan cars, because it's a truck engine.

And even though Toyota's 4.0L V6 shares the same fundamental GR engine block as Toyota's new 3.5L V6 and variants, it differs in several ways, such as lacking low friction cams, and lacking dual VVT-i.

The G35's economy right now is nothing to be excited about. If fuel economy becomes worse with this bigger 3.7L rumoured "FZ", than it won't be a welcome addition in my view.
I agree. The fuel isn't great but it isn't bad. I get 21 city and about 25-26 highway with my G35. Our RX300 got the same for a SUV! I been reading up on the new IS350 and it isn't doing so well itself. Seems to be about the same fuel economy. But if you buy a car with such a powerful engine, usually fuel economy is the least you would think about. If it was a Hybrid or Civic would be in the thoughts.
Old 03-12-06, 01:02 PM
toykilla
Driver

The engine is being called "FZ" not "VQ". I dont know the exact details of where this came from, but apparently it has a higher redline and there is speculation that this is a low displacement v8 (keeping my fingers crossed).

The G Coupe Concept has already been revealed and is more or less an evolution of the current G35. Since the Z shares the platforms and 90% of the same parts, I would expect a Z Concept to show up this year.

Typical though, Nissan is keeping things tight on all information.. The GTR engine/drivetrain/specs still have not been revealed.

Maybe all my wishes will come true:

3.7L V8
370Z
G37
GTR with 3.7L v8 TT

This would be inline with Nissan's current cost savings methods of using the VQ in the majority of their cars.