Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which SUV for me?
BMW X5
16.67%
Lexus GX 470
66.67%
Benz ML 350
8.33%
Porsche Cayenne
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Which SUV

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 06:59 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which SUV

I have an 06 sc430 which I lease because I am self employed. I also have a Town & Country witch I own. I financed it because Chrysler was offering 0% financing at the time. Now my wife works for my company and my accountant is telling me to sell the T& C and lease another vehicle for her that I can write off as well. This is all because I am self employed and need to save in Taxes. The T&C gave me alot of problems and I will never buy Chrysler again if I can help it. I was thinking of an SUV. The ones I have in mind are Lexus GX, BMW X5, Mercedes ML350 and Porsche Cayenne. What do you guys think? Whitch one would you go with?
Old 02-22-06, 07:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ince you seem to dislike reliability problems since you had the T&C the GX470 has a advantage over the rest. Dont think the ML is as big as the GX, X5 is outdated looking
Old 02-22-06, 07:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by camillian
I have an 06 sc430 which I lease because I am self employed. I also have a Town & Country witch I own. I financed it because Chrysler was offering 0% financing at the time. Now my wife works for my company and my accountant is telling me to sell the T& C and lease another vehicle for her that I can write off as well. This is all because I am self employed and need to save in Taxes. The T&C gave me alot of problems and I will never buy Chrysler again if I can help it. I was thinking of an SUV. The ones I have in mind are Lexus GX, BMW X5, Mercedes ML350 and Porsche Cayenne. What do you guys think? Whitch one would you go with?
dude, POLL TIME!!!

Old 02-22-06, 07:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Acura MDX
Old 02-22-06, 07:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever consider the RX400h? The tax write off can be bigger!
Old 02-22-06, 07:47 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Real question is what will you do with it? Do you really need an suv or just want one for tooling around town? Functionally I would say GX but for fun definitely the Chili pepper. I'd avoid the Benz and well the X is just old and outdated.
Old 02-22-06, 07:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I'm guessing you want it to be a gross weight of 5K or more and thus your choices? (Does the ML350 fall into that category?).
Old 02-22-06, 09:35 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

this is exactly the reason why i got rid of my 06 GS to get an 06 Range Rover Sport...it can help me w/ my self employed tax
Old 02-22-06, 09:55 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

range rover
Old 02-22-06, 11:42 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

X5 would get my vote.
Old 02-22-06, 11:46 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Gx 470.
Old 02-23-06, 05:46 AM
jwa
Pole Position

Of the choices you listed, I'd go with the GX.

Choose the X5 if you like to drive hard and want great performance. The interior is rather shabby and the technology is severly outdated. It is getting a major update this year, so I'd wait to check out the new design before buying the current.

The MDX offers the most for the money. It does everything well, but nothing all that great. If cost is important, this would be my choice.

The ML is solid in all aspects, and the styling and technology are current. The price is reasonable for the base model, but to get all the options you may want can really drive up the price.

The GX is tops in quality, but the performance and handling are not great. I really like the exterior styling, but I was never able to get comfortable with the interior.

The Cayenne... I love the interior, and it drives like you would expect a Porsche to drive, but the exterior styling just doesn't translate to an SUV. If you're OK with the exterior styling, then there's no reason not to buy the Cayenne. For me, if Porsche would combine the VW Touareg exterior with the Cayenne interior and performance...I'd buy that.

The choice you didn't list is the Range Rover Sport. Do yourself a favor and at least check it out. It's got great styling, great performance, the technology is current, and it's heavy enough for a hefty Tax credit. It's a new vehicle, so there's insufficient data on reliability; But, it's got a 4yr/50K warranty, the first 6 scheduled maintenances are free, and my dealer includes a full size loaner vehicle with all scheduled maintenance and warranty work.
Old 02-23-06, 11:08 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I voted for M-B ML350. But actually I would suggest the new Lexus RX350.
Old 02-23-06, 11:19 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Since Canada has different tax laws, I doubt the vehicle weight is an issue. Then again, I'm more familiar with US tax laws so what would I know.

I'd get them in this order

GX
MDX
Cayenne
X5
ML350
Old 02-23-06, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

For daily driving, none of the list you mention, for various reasons, IMO make good daily drivers. If pressed among the four you listed, I would take the GX...it is far and away the tops in quality, but is truck-based, high and narrow and tends to get the tipsies. The European-nameplate SUV's are all too unreliable and expensive to service.
Given yours and your wife's needs, I think either the MDX or RX330 would be a better choice as a daily driver. My preference among those two would be the RX330...it has a nicer interior than the MDX.

Quick Reply: Which SUV