Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got pull over by cop yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 01:43 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Irvine but I work around Newport where Flectcher Jones.

Jamboree is a version of 7/11

Harvard is where the cop sleeps (headquarter)
Old 02-24-06, 01:48 PM
silver250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oooooooo, koo.............i work on muirlands and thomas, hopefully thats safe enough..........or not
Old 02-24-06, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well if you don't get your plates after like 8 weeks or so, yes they can give you a ticket. you are supposed to go to dmv to get it fixed if you don't get your plate

and seriously, while by probability it seems like cops more often pull over certain cars, i don't see why they wouldn't pull you over just coz' you are driving a lexus though (even stock). it's not like you won't run into truoble. heck, my wife got pulled over in our gs400 and sc430 before too, sowhat should i say?

bottom line is if they have a reason to pull you over, then that's all matter (don't get me wrong, if you read my posts, you know how much i hate cops)
Old 02-24-06, 01:55 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Cops can make you pop your hood? WTF? I understand if they see external mods like an exhaust or TINT, but isnt there some kind of law that you dont have open your hood or trunk unless there is probable cause?
I think the probable cause for search thing plays in for hood popping if they see you have a modded exhaust, wheels etc. Kinda like how if they saw a razor blade in the car, they could search your vehicle.
Old 02-24-06, 02:00 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Cops can make you pop your hood? WTF? I understand if they see external mods like an exhaust or TINT, but isnt there some kind of law that you dont have open your hood or trunk unless there is probable cause?
Per Jay-Z in "99 Problems, "he gon' need a search warrant for dat"...
Old 02-24-06, 02:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I think the probable cause for search thing plays in for hood popping if they see you have a modded exhaust, wheels etc. Kinda like how if they saw a razor blade in the car, they could search your vehicle.
no, actually the law (at least in cali) says that everyone has the right to refuse opening the trunk or hood of their cars. it's their civil rights, coz' the cops don't have any warrant to search. however, if they really think you have anything suspicious (for example using a trained k9 and smelled drugs in the trunk), they can impound the car. or they can just write a notice and send you to referee right the way
Old 02-24-06, 02:08 PM
kingkong5
Lead Lap

All the irvinites should go to lunch someday. I work at UC Irvine, managing the MBA program.
Old 02-24-06, 02:12 PM
silver250
Driver

sounds good, seems like quite a few people on here are from irvine or work in irvine...........
Old 02-24-06, 04:40 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver250
oooooooo, koo.............i work on muirlands and thomas, hopefully thats safe enough..........or not

WTF... that's where I work ... considering my wandering eyes, I'm surprised I haven't seen you yet

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled next time I go out for lunch or for a walk.

... Back to the topic at hand, though, you've all gotten me shaking in my seat. Having driven a Honda off-and-on for the past few years, I've become extremely paranoid. I'm gonna have to strip my front tint and find some way to mount my front plate just so I can relieve this stress thanks to all your horror stories.
Old 02-24-06, 06:12 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cops

Hi,

Well who pulled you over? The CHP or a local PD? You guys have to remember, the CHP are Traffic Officers. Their job is to inforce Traffic Laws. That's it. Yeah,they will do other things but thier job is (like I said..........Traffic Laws)
I'm a retired cop from southern California. I don't know any cop who drives around thinking... " Oh , there's a Lexus (or whatever) I think I'll pull them over." I never picked on red cars or any other color. If you're doing something wrong, you do run the risk of being nailed. I don't like front plates either, and before I was a cop I got cited for it a couple times. As for tinted windows, they do make your car look cool and protect your interior. However, at this time It is against the law (And i don't know if it's a good law or bad), so again you play , you might pay. The best thing you can do is to try to maintain a low profile if you're gonna modify your car.

Hope this helps...........

Steve
Old 02-24-06, 06:38 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

I don't know if CA tint laws but you may want to check this out. I'm not sure how current they are. http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
Old 02-24-06, 08:42 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

I would give the Avitar a hard time if I ever saw him driving any type of nice car.

But ya, prolly just jealous or something.

EDIT: My 6 year old kid just corrected me. He said "that's not Ang... he doesn't even have an arrow on his head".. forgive the Avitar comment. LOL
Old 02-24-06, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
Hi,

Well who pulled you over? The CHP or a local PD? You guys have to remember, the CHP are Traffic Officers. Their job is to inforce Traffic Laws. That's it. Yeah,they will do other things but thier job is (like I said..........Traffic Laws)
I'm a retired cop from southern California. I don't know any cop who drives around thinking... " Oh , there's a Lexus (or whatever) I think I'll pull them over." I never picked on red cars or any other color. If you're doing something wrong, you do run the risk of being nailed. I don't like front plates either, and before I was a cop I got cited for it a couple times. As for tinted windows, they do make your car look cool and protect your interior. However, at this time It is against the law (And i don't know if it's a good law or bad), so again you play , you might pay. The best thing you can do is to try to maintain a low profile if you're gonna modify your car.

Hope this helps...........

Steve
nice to see your post, steve. i am sure there are always some good cops / chp. they follow the rules, do the right things, unbiased, etc... just that there are always some out there who are off the line. i am surprised though, why didn't you just show them your badge when they wanted to cite you, more than likely they will just let you go
Old 02-25-06, 08:59 AM
Markie1985
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shaolin
I got pull over yesterday after work. Honestly I have no idea why he pull me over. I wouldn't understand if he pull me over when I'm in my S2000, but on my Lexus? He was right next to me for about 1.5 miles before he decide to go behind me and flash the light. After I got pull over he then ask me "license and registeration." "how long ago did you buy your car?" "what kind of car is this?" " Is it V8 cuz it says 350 in the back." I told him I bought mine 2.5 months and still haven't receive my license plate yet. My last car I didn't get mine till 6 months pass. He said I can get a violation ticket for that..... wtf. Anyway, he then told me I can't have tint window. I told him I just got them and they are really light ones. (I know you can't have tint in the front). Anyway, he then said to me that I work right next to where you live so I don't want to see these tint and put your license plate on asap. wtf!?!?!?!?!??!

Dame, it's a Lexus ok??? It's a luxury car. WTF is this happening to me?????
If anything you'll be pulled over more for having a luxury car especially if your under thirty. Last year in my Jag X-Type I was pulled over for doing 42 mph in a 40 mph zone (Im 20) the cop said I was disrespecting him for driving the car so fast and that i should watch how i drive daddys car..... then i started to get mouthy I was like this isn't daddys car, he then procedded to grill me asking me where i work and how much i make, asked me how much it cost and a bunch of other bull***** questions. No ticket but kept me there for 45 minutes at 12am just cause he was jealous. Its not my fault I work 40 hours a week to afford a nice car.
Old 02-25-06, 01:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Markie1985
If anything you'll be pulled over more for having a luxury car especially if your under thirty. Last year in my Jag X-Type I was pulled over for doing 42 mph in a 40 mph zone (Im 20) the cop said I was disrespecting him for driving the car so fast and that i should watch how i drive daddys car..... then i started to get mouthy I was like this isn't daddys car, he then procedded to grill me asking me where i work and how much i make, asked me how much it cost and a bunch of other bull***** questions. No ticket but kept me there for 45 minutes at 12am just cause he was jealous. Its not my fault I work 40 hours a week to afford a nice car.
now that really sux..... direspecting him for driving so "fast" by him?! and i dont think you actually had to answer any of his questions at all...... it's none of his business right?

Quick Reply: Got pull over by cop yesterday.