Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new 292hp 3.5L V6 from MB premieres at Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 07:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
Lexus 306 hp V6 v. MB 292 hp V6

It's hard to say at this point which is the superior engine at this point. The Lexus engine has 14 more hp, but only 7 more torque. Plus, the max torque for the MB engine is available at a lower RPM (3000 rpm v. 4800 rpm).

The 3530 lb. IS350 gets 24.5 mpg. The 3750 lb. CLS350 gets 25.8 mpg. So it would probably be about a 2 mpg difference if they put this engine in the lighter 3495 lb. C350.

I would take a 2 mpg advantage any day for 14 less hp and 7 less torque.

All of this is preliminary so we'll have to wait to see what happens in the real word.
That's a loud of rubbish, the torque range. The peak torque *supposedly* is available in the range of 3000 - 5100 RPM. Now you don't have to be an engineer to know that peak torque cannot be sustained over such an RPM range. For all we know, peak torque could be occuring at 3000 RPM, or it could be occuring at 5100 RPM. We don't know yet until we see the torque curve.

What we DO know about the IS350's engine is that is has a broad, flat torque curve, and torque remains pretty high even near redline.

Benz, not to mention Porsche and Audi all like to provide their torque ratings in the form of a range, but I think that's purely for marketing reasons. It's confusing and does not tell you exactly where the peak torque occurs.

As well, fuel economy cannot be compared yet accurately.

9.1L per 100km is more accurate than mpg, and we don't know how the testing was done. If you go by Canadian fuel economy figures, the IS350 has a combined fuel economy of 9.2L per 100km. But Canadian testing differs from European testing.

You also seem to be mixing things up. The CLS is going to get this engine, not the C Class. The current CLS does not have a V6 available here in North America.

If you want to talk about the C350, then that's a different story. It has a curb weight of 3495 for the auto, not 3750lbs. The IS350 weights 3527, slightly more than the C350.

http://www.mbusa.com/models/features...350WZ&class=06

The current C350 also gets 20/29 economy with the auto tranny, which about equal to the IS350. Slightly higher rated in highway, slightly lower rated in city. Having a 7 speed auto definitely helps economy.

It also trails the IS350 in performance, as it makes 268HP @ 6000 RPM, and 258 lb-ft torque, again provided at a vague range of 2400 - 5000 RPM.

We don't know the performance, power, or economy that this CLS350 with the new engine would have here in North America, or if its even coming to North America.
Old 02-24-06, 07:44 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

If they are saying xxx torque is available from A to B, isn't that mean it's pretty much a flat torque curve from A to B?
Old 02-24-06, 07:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
If they are saying xxx torque is available from A to B, isn't that mean it's pretty much a flat torque curve from A to B?
correct, its probably not EXACT but very close
Old 02-24-06, 08:05 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That's a loud of rubbish, the torque range. The peak torque *supposedly* is available in the range of 3000 - 5100 RPM. Now you don't have to be an engineer to know that peak torque cannot be sustained over such an RPM range. For all we know, peak torque could be occuring at 3000 RPM, or it could be occuring at 5100 RPM. We don't know yet until we see the torque curve.

What we DO know about the IS350's engine is that is has a broad, flat torque curve, and torque remains pretty high even near redline.

Benz, not to mention Porsche and Audi all like to provide their torque ratings in the form of a range, but I think that's purely for marketing reasons. It's confusing and does not tell you exactly where the peak torque occurs.

As well, fuel economy cannot be compared yet accurately.

9.1L per 100km is more accurate than mpg, and we don't know how the testing was done. If you go by Canadian fuel economy figures, the IS350 has a combined fuel economy of 9.2L per 100km. But Canadian testing differs from European testing.

You also seem to be mixing things up. The CLS is going to get this engine, not the C Class. The current CLS does not have a V6 available here in North America.

If you want to talk about the C350, then that's a different story. It has a curb weight of 3495 for the auto, not 3750lbs. The IS350 weights 3527, slightly more than the C350.

http://www.mbusa.com/models/features...350WZ&class=06

The current C350 also gets 20/29 economy with the auto tranny, which about equal to the IS350. Slightly higher rated in highway, slightly lower rated in city. Having a 7 speed auto definitely helps economy.

It also trails the IS350 in performance, as it makes 268HP @ 6000 RPM, and 258 lb-ft torque, again provided at a vague range of 2400 - 5000 RPM.

We don't know the performance, power, or economy that this CLS350 with the new engine would have here in North America, or if its even coming to North America.
The torque range is not a load of rubbish. See post above.

I'm not mixing things up. The C350 (as well as the E350, R350, ML350, SLK350, etc.) are certain to get this engine. I'm using the C350 because it is the competitor to the IS350, the only car right now that has the 306 hp GR engine in the US.
Old 02-24-06, 08:09 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
correct, its probably not EXACT but very close
There you go TRDFantasy. It's not confusing or vague. You don't have to wait and see a torque curve... it is FLAT...Nguyen confirmed it. BTW ,the article did not say that was peak torque.
Old 02-24-06, 08:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

lot of euro cars tune their engines to have this plateau of torque, been going on for years
Old 02-24-06, 08:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
The torque range is not a load of rubbish. See post above.

I'm not mixing things up. The C350 (as well as the E350, R350, ML350, SLK350, etc.) are certain to get this engine. I'm using the C350 because it is the competitor to the IS350, the only car right now that has the 306 hp GR engine in the US.
The C350 recently got a facelift and an engine upgrade, so I'm not sure that MB would do another engine change so soon. If it does get it, then it may be in a few years.
Old 02-24-06, 09:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I think we will see a new redesigned C class for 2008MY next year, so the new model should get this new 3.5 engine . . .
Old 02-24-06, 09:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

There you go TRDFantasy. It's not confusing or vague. You don't have to wait and see a torque curve... it is FLAT...Nguyen confirmed it. BTW ,the article did not say that was peak torque.
And so is the 2GR-FSE's torque curve, but you don't see Toyota using a range for it.

Between 2000 - 4000 RPM, the 2GR-FSE's torque remains almost flat, and due to dual VVT-i, as well as dual fuel injection, the engine gets a torque boost above 4000 RPM, and then torque again remains quite flat above 6000 RPM.

I understand that the range is meant to signify that the torque is near peak, but it's still vague.

How hard is it to give an exact number for torque? Why do other manufacturers do it, yet German makers feel the need for a range?
Old 02-24-06, 09:54 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

How hard is it to give an exact number for torque? Why do other manufacturers do it, yet German makers feel the need for a range?
and i wish car companies didnt give pointless torque @ rpm figures and instead gave a torque curve
Old 02-24-06, 09:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and i wish car companies didnt give pointless torque @ rpm figures and instead gave a torque curve
Uhh, you mean like the one I posted above? Some automakers, again for marketing reasons, aren't willing to do that.

Anyways, it makes no difference what sort of figures German makers provide, because dyno charts will tell where the power really lies and how it's spread out.
Old 02-24-06, 10:02 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

And so is the 2GR-FSE's torque curve, but you don't see Toyota using a range for it.

They can't use/claim the range because the graph is not FLAT (the left graph). They use PEAK torque value instead
Between 2000 - 4000 RPM, the 2GR-FSE's torque remains almost flat, and due to dual VVT-i, as well as dual fuel injection, the engine gets a torque boost above 4000 RPM, and then torque again remains quite flat above 6000 RPM.
Again, they did not use range, they use peak value. Had they used range, the torque # would be LOWER.

I understand that the range is meant to signify that the torque is near peak, but it's still vague.

Like the example above, most auto makers claim PEAK torque. Why? it's for marketing reason and that is the highest number they can claim and most people fall for that. German makers claim torque range, which to me is more infornational because it's more useful. Everybody wants a FLAT torque curve.
Old 02-24-06, 10:12 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Anyways, it makes no difference what sort of figures German makers provide, because dyno charts will tell where the power really lies and how it's spread out.
Don't think so.. different dyno machine gives different result depend on many factors like temp, elev, humidity.. etc...and etc..
Old 02-24-06, 11:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EDGE2
no disrespect to MB but a MB needs a V8

are you confuse MB with ACURA? lol

They dont need a V8. They already have plently of V8. i mean supercharged V8s, N/A V8s, etc. They also have V12 and V12 biturbos. So it's MB we are talking about here. Not ACURA
Old 02-25-06, 09:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Don't think so.. different dyno machine gives different result depend on many factors like temp, elev, humidity.. etc...and etc..
lol, so how do you know if torque curve is correct? Doesnt that mean that different dyno machine will also show different torque curve?

All modern V6 engines have pretty flat torque curves. GR engine series has pretty nice torque curve. You get an nice graph from Toyota so you can conclude that yourself. Based on that curve, Toyota could have said 3.5 GR-FSE engine develops 95% of torque from 1900 rpm :-). Same thing, just marketing spin.

Quick Reply: The new 292hp 3.5L V6 from MB premieres at Geneva