Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new 292hp 3.5L V6 from MB premieres at Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 09:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You can drop the 'in MB' - v8's are rare in Europe, PERIOD!
oh, most definetly. I could also probably say that MB sells most V8's in Europe (much more than BMW actually). Lets not even mention Audi :-).
Old 02-25-06, 10:16 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
I think what he/she meant by that is, a MB should have nothing less than a V8. In another word, a v6 "isn't good enough" for MB. That's my intepretation and I'm pretty sure that's what he/she meant by that.
he, yes thats what I meant, I meant it in respect to the big benz's, the smaller stuff is OK but S-Class V6, CLS V6, E-Class V6 all need V8, I just have the old school thinking where certain cars should have certain features and thats that.
Old 02-25-06, 11:02 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol, so how do you know if torque curve is correct?
Why would car makers especially MB lie to the world when they say such engine makes xxx torque from range A to B? Isn't that a LITTLE risky to lie and ruin their reputation and credibility?

Trust them or not is your choice, but different car makers chose to show their # in different ways whether it is graph, range, peak and etc... it doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Doesnt that mean that different dyno machine will also show different torque curve?
I did not say different torque curve, I said different result depending all those variables.
Old 02-25-06, 11:24 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
They can't use/claim the range because the graph is not FLAT (the left graph). They use PEAK torque value instead

Again, they did not use range, they use peak value. Had they used range, the torque # would be LOWER.

Like the example above, most auto makers claim PEAK torque. Why? it's for marketing reason and that is the highest number they can claim and most people fall for that. German makers claim torque range, which to me is more infornational because it's more useful. Everybody wants a FLAT torque curve.
First off, why are you even mentioning the left graph? Our discussion does not even involve the left graph, as the left graph is Toyota's 4.3L 3UZ-FE V8. The right graph is the one we are discussing, and the right graph is the power curve for the IS350's engine.

You're very naive if you believe that for every torque range that German makers give, torque remains completely flat . It's just not possible.

If you honestly believe such a foolish notion, prove to me this is the case by showing me power curves for some of the German engines where torque is given as a range.

Toyota COULD have used range, and could have said something along the lines of 250 - 260 lb-ft torque at 2000 - 3000 RPM.

Here is another graph of the 2GR-FSE's power curve. This proves torque remains flat on the low end between 2000 - 3000 RPM, experiences a very slight drop off near 4000 RPM, and then surges toward its peak beyond 4000 RPM. Looking at the graph, torque remains *above* 250 lb-ft even beyond 6000 RPM, and only falls below 250 lb-ft at about 6500 RPM. If this isn't a flat torque in your eyes, then I don't know what is. If you exclude the peak, then torque remains almost completely flat from 2000 - 6000 RPM. The 2GR-FSE is characterized by two peaks or humps of torque, one on the low end, and one on the high end of the power curve. Mid-range torque still remains strong, but torque peak does not occur at midrange, unlike most engines. Furthermore, most engine only have one *peak* so to speak, and to see two peaks like this engine is quite uncommon and rare. Even more so, it's uncharacteristic for V6 engines to have such strong torque both on the low end and high end.

How is torque range more informational? Regardless of whether the torque is actually given as a range or not, all engines STILL have a *peak* torque. In those german engines, they DO have a peak torque that is reached. German makers are giving you one thing, but excluding another thing. They fail to give you peak torque, but they give you a range. Problem is, the range is vague specifically *because* it's not a power curve, and you still don't know exactly where the power lies.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-25-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 10:53 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
How is torque range more informational?

Problem is, the range is vague specifically *because* it's not a power curve, and you still don't know exactly where the power lies.

Horsepower={torque * engine speed}/5252
You can graph a power curve with the torque range but you can't do a graph with only a single peak torque value.
Old 03-03-06, 12:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

You can graph a power curve with the torque range but you can't do a graph with only a single peak torque value.
dude you are out of it, toyota shows their hp/torque in the pics. Having an press release that says how engine has more than this and that, is definetly not same as showing actual pic of the curve.

so i dont know where you turn on or off, but its past time :-).
Old 03-03-06, 12:36 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

agree.......
Old 03-07-06, 11:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

You don't get it do you? What are you even arguing about anymore? The torque range cannot give you a torque curve, because you won't know what the curve will exactly look like.

And I still refuse to believe torque remains completely flat within that range, and I have yet to see any power curves of German engines that have torque provided as a range.
Old 03-07-06, 11:31 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone know when Toyota first used direct injection in its cars (in Japan or otherwise)?
Old 03-07-06, 11:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
Does anyone know when Toyota first used direct injection in its cars (in Japan or otherwise)?
Toyota developed their first Direct injection engine in the late 90s, which was the 1AZ-FSE. It's a direct injection version of the AZ 4 cyl engine used in many Toyotas today. I know for sure the engine was available in MY 2000 models of the Rav 4, and Avensis in Europe. The engine was also available in Japan, but I believe in was released in Japan earlier, in 1998 or 1999 maybe.
Old 03-07-06, 12:08 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota developed their first Direct injection engine in the late 90s, which was the 1AZ-FSE. It's a direct injection version of the AZ 4 cyl engine used in many Toyotas today. I know for sure the engine was available in MY 2000 models of the Rav 4, and Avensis in Europe. The engine was also available in Japan, but I believe in was released in Japan earlier, in 1998 or 1999 maybe.
Is the 2006 GS300 the first time that Toyota used direct injection in a V6 engine?
Old 03-07-06, 12:11 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the 2006 GS300 the first time that Toyota used direct injection in a V6 engine?
No, that same engine has been in use in the Crown and Mark X for a year before the GS300 was released.
Old 03-07-06, 12:25 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Not to get too into it but this is kind of like the HP discussions that Rolls would have. Rather than a number they would simply quote "adequate". Sort of like the MB TQ range. Once you get to a *minimum* of 500 Nm of TQ across a range that broad it can simply be termed "adequate"!

That said... Here is the v12 (sl65) graph and the new v8 graph. Note that the v8 isn't "flat" but it is above 500 Nm for most of the rev range which is good enough for me.

and

Here's a pretty flat TQ curve for a Lexus V8:

Old 03-07-06, 12:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

As far as I remember, Direct Injection V6 Toyota engines have been available since 2004 on the Toyota Crown, and on the 2005 Mark-X (n Japan). The 2006 GS300 is the first North American car to use a direct injected Toyota V6.
Old 03-07-06, 12:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson

That said... Here is the v12 (sl65) graph and the new v8 graph. Note that the v8 isn't "flat" but it is above 500 Nm for most of the rev range which is good enough for me.
I'm very interested in seeing dyno curves of N/A V6 and V8 engines from Mercedes, or VW, where torque is given as a range. Showing torque curves for AMG engines is not the best comparison, and as I recall, AMG usually give specific numbers for torque for their engines.

Quick Reply: The new 292hp 3.5L V6 from MB premieres at Geneva