Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new 292hp 3.5L V6 from MB premieres at Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 02:24 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm very interested in seeing dyno curves of N/A V6 and V8 engines from Mercedes, or VW, where torque is given as a range. Showing torque curves for AMG engines is not the best comparison, and as I recall, AMG usually give specific numbers for torque for their engines.
The V8 dyno above is naturally aspirated!
Old 03-07-06, 03:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I know the 6.3L is naturally aspirated, but that's a big displacement AMG engine, which is not fair to compare in the context of this discussion.

But if you insist ...

The 6.3L V8 has impressive torque output, but rather disconcerting that torque starts to rapidly drop off after 5000 RPM. So much for the "flat" torque curve some people claim .

Also, I have FINALLY found proof, newr, that the range is not an accurate measure.

Look here, technical specs for the SL 65 AMG's engine:
http://www.mbusa.com/amg/specs.jsp?p...technical_data

It lists output. .
604 hp @ 4,800 - 5,100 rpm
torque. .
738 lb-ft @ 2,000 - 4,000 rpm

According to that dyno posted by Mr Johnson, the torque range does indeed correspond to the dyno, but there is a huge torque drop-off above 4000 RPM, which again is disconcerting. It shows the engine somewhat lacks in the top end.

But when you look at the HP, the range supposedly is between 4,800 - 5,100 RPM. Now if you look at the dyno, you can clearly see that there is a peak that HP reaches, and that 604HP is not sustained for that 300RPM range, which discredits the whole range approach.

If anyone can find dyno curves for V6 engines specifically for Mercedes, or VW engines, I would not be surprised to find more evidence that the range approach is not all that accurate.

There is no point in providing a range approach, as it simply adds confusion. Without a dyno chart, a range is meaningless. It makes more sense to have exact peak figures. If you wish to see how the power and torque is distributed, look at a dyno curve. There is no need to be listing ranges.

Also, with that 6.3L V8, there is a clear peak HP, and peak torque value. If AMG provides figures in a range for this engine, then it should be automatically discredited, as that would not be accurate.
Old 03-07-06, 03:52 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I know the 6.3L is naturally aspirated, but that's a big displacement AMG engine, which is not fair to compare in the context of this discussion.

But if you insist ...
I do not insist you asked:
I'm very interested in seeing dyno curves of N/A V6 and V8 engines from Mercedes ...
Not sure why you asked if you knew about it already.

It shows the engine somewhat lacks in the top end.

We aren't talking about a civic with 133 lb/ft ofTQ here. I'd be a happy customer to take the severe drop-off in TQ. Besides, at high RPM levels you don't care about TQ as much as HP (You know like a formula 1 engine) [Edit:] Care to show us a dyno of an engine you believe shows the TQ qualities you would like at the top end?

I'm all for full disclosure and it's fun for bench racing but a range of 3K RPM at TQ levels we are discussing proves a huge area under the curve without needing to be specific. (I won't comment about who will/won't notice the 300 RPM "range" in HP).

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 03-07-06 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 04:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Not to get too into it but this is kind of like the HP discussions that Rolls would have. Rather than a number they would simply quote "adequate". Sort of like the MB TQ range. Once you get to a *minimum* of 500 Nm of TQ across a range that broad it can simply be termed "adequate"!

That said... Here is the v12 (sl65) graph and the new v8 graph. Note that the v8 isn't "flat" but it is above 500 Nm for most of the rev range which is good enough for me.

and

Here's a pretty flat TQ curve for a Lexus V8:

At our SELOC Track day Sunday, we had the pleasure to have a guy bring his SL65 out. He was running low to high 11s STOCK all day long. It was an incredible site to see IN PERSON.

In contrast, the only cars that could beat it were HIGHLY MODDED Supras.

He took some of hte engine cover off and it was a sight to behold!

Old 03-07-06, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

TRDFantasy - as far as a 'flat torque curve', it's not realistic to expect any engine to have a flat line ALL ACROSS THE RPM RANGE, but I'm sure you know this.

The fact that power production drops off quickly on the AMG engines at high rpms is hardly an issue when the car's already going 160mph at that point.

Peak torque and torque curves are both useful data.
Old 03-07-06, 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
Don't think so.. different dyno machine gives different result depend on many factors like temp, elev, humidity.. etc...and etc..
That may be true when visiting 3rd party dyno shops, but I'm sure vehicle manufacturers do tests under pretty rigorous conditions. They also know they can be punished in the market if they get it wrong (or appear to lie) - wasn't it Mazda who got caught a few years ago?
Old 03-07-06, 07:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I do not insist you asked:

We aren't talking about a civic with 133 lb/ft ofTQ here. I'd be a happy customer to take the severe drop-off in TQ. Besides, at high RPM levels you don't care about TQ as much as HP (You know like a formula 1 engine) [Edit:] Care to show us a dyno of an engine you believe shows the TQ qualities you would like at the top end?

I'm all for full disclosure and it's fun for bench racing but a range of 3K RPM at TQ levels we are discussing proves a huge area under the curve without needing to be specific. (I won't comment about who will/won't notice the 300 RPM "range" in HP).
Sorry if there was any confusion. I did not mean to knock the AMG engines at all. Certainly, at those kind of power levels, you cannot expect for the torque to stay so high up in the top end.

My comment was alluding to previous comments made by newr, and how German engines tend to have "flat" torque curves, which apparently justifies torque being provided in a range .
Old 03-07-06, 07:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
TRDFantasy - as far as a 'flat torque curve', it's not realistic to expect any engine to have a flat line ALL ACROSS THE RPM RANGE, but I'm sure you know this.

The fact that power production drops off quickly on the AMG engines at high rpms is hardly an issue when the car's already going 160mph at that point.

Peak torque and torque curves are both useful data.
Yeah, I totally agree. To expect a torque curve to remain completely flat across a large RPM range is ridiculous, and some German makers would have you believe that is true, based on the torque as a range figures they provide. I realize this is a ludicrous notion, which is why I would rather see German makers provide exact peak torque values instead.
Old 03-08-06, 12:27 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
Lexus 306 hp V6 v. MB 292 hp V6

It's hard to say at this point which is the superior engine at this point. The Lexus engine has 14 more hp, but only 7 more torque. Plus, the max torque for the MB engine is available at a lower RPM (3000 rpm v. 4800 rpm).

The 3530 lb. IS350 gets 24.5 mpg. The 3750 lb. CLS350 gets 25.8 mpg. So it would probably be about a 2 mpg difference if they put this engine in the lighter 3495 lb. C350.

I would take a 2 mpg advantage any day for 14 less hp and 7 less torque.

All of this is preliminary so we'll have to wait to see what happens in the real word.
Its more like a 320-330hp Lexus V6 246whp on a Mustang dyno doesnt equate to 306bhp
Is this new engine ULEV2? Which engine would you trust to get you to 200k miles?