Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus go after lesser car makers and build cheapo SUVs?
Yes, no luxury brand is complete without an I-4, yippie!
7.55%
No, no, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO, hell Lexus has ENOUGH SUVs already
37.74%
Yes, only if the Rav-4 Lexus is a V-6
18.87%
No, it may increase sales, it kills prestige
30.19%
I'd rather they make a hybrid IS instead
5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

New Model From Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 08:27 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus needs something to compete against the BMW X3 and upcoming Acura RDX. Having a Lexus version of RAV4 is the right move. It also helps bring younger buyers into the Lexus brand early. Lexus has the industry's highest customer retention rate at 63%, so these younger buys may move up the Lexus line.

Chances are the Lexus version will not be a simple 4-banger. It will be either supercharged or a small V6. Also note that the new RAV4 is bigger than the previous model. Note that Lexus never brought the 4-banger RX or IS into the U.S. market.

I do like to see Lexus start making "family recreation vehicle." (minivan) The Toyota Sienna XLE is a good starting point.
Old 02-26-06, 09:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Lexus needs something to compete against the BMW X3 and upcoming Acura RDX. Having a Lexus version of RAV4 is the right move. It also helps bring younger buyers into the Lexus brand early. Lexus has the industry's highest customer retention rate at 63%, so these younger buys may move up the Lexus line.

Chances are the Lexus version will not be a simple 4-banger. It will be either supercharged or a small V6. Also note that the new RAV4 is bigger than the previous model. Note that Lexus never brought the 4-banger RX or IS into the U.S. market.

I do like to see Lexus start making "family recreation vehicle." (minivan) The Toyota Sienna XLE is a good starting point.
More the RDX than the X3. Having driven the X3 and knowing a few people who have one, the suspension on it needs serious upgrading. Even my old 325i Convertible had better suspension and that was a 1990 model year vehicle.

If Lexus can use the Scion example with Toyota, that should be a good starting point, but just improve on it.
Old 02-26-06, 11:26 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Subaru WRX STI, 2.5L H4 turbo engine, 300 hp, 300 lb-fts, Brembo Performance Brakes, AWD, 17" BBS all for $33K. The engine itself put Subaru on the map for performance and enhanced not only brand awareness but also open a new market segment.
http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_dec...st_2/index.htm
"This is Subaru's first-ever 10 Best Engines winner, and it's not surprising given the company's reputation for reliable, though usually unspectacular and unassuming powertrains. With the 2.5L turbocharged DOHC H-4, you can forget about that reputation: Subaru's showing us why it's won all those World Rally Championship trophies."
Old 02-27-06, 07:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Subaru WRX STI, 2.5L H4 turbo engine, 300 hp, 300 lb-fts, Brembo Performance Brakes, AWD, 17" BBS all for $33K. The engine itself put Subaru on the map for performance and enhanced not only brand awareness but also open a new market segment.
http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_dec...st_2/index.htm
"This is Subaru's first-ever 10 Best Engines winner, and it's not surprising given the company's reputation for reliable, though usually unspectacular and unassuming powertrains. With the 2.5L turbocharged DOHC H-4, you can forget about that reputation: Subaru's showing us why it's won all those World Rally Championship trophies."
The WRX is indeed one of the best automotive values out there with that kind of power and those accessories. I have no doubt that Lexus looked at the WRX when developing the IS350.
Old 02-27-06, 08:44 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be really surprised if Toyota indeed looked at WRX when they develop the IS. If I want a "road warrior" type of car, I will take the WRX over the IS anyday.

Yes, the IS350 is fast -- on straight road. Handling is just so-so.
Old 02-27-06, 09:16 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by akhi2003
Guys, I read in couple of places that Lexus is bringing a new model based on RAV4
If it is true it will be dilution of the brand image. Lexus never had a I4 engine in USA like Acura and Infiniti. What is the need to have a vehicle that costs less than RX350 and have 400K sales per year which dilutes the lexus brand image. I feel Lexus should not launch that vehicle in USA.
I agree lexus should minimize the amount of toyotas they rebadge as Lexus to give te brand a stronger image and give people what they are paying for. So i also hope they dont make this vehicle. Now if they took the current rx and made it smaller and a little more youthful that would be better.
Old 02-27-06, 09:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RDX is packing the new variable geometry turbo, so there is pretty much no turbo lag above 2000 rpm, it will drive like a N/A car (no surge in power at later rpms) just with more power. Not to mention SH-AWD is the most advanced AWD system on the planet
Old 02-27-06, 10:43 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ES is already a rebadged Toyota and the model it is based on, which is of course the Camry, comes with a 4 cylinder engine in its base form. I agree that making a smaller SUV is a smart move, and I'm sure they will toss in an upgraded engine as part of the Lexus makeover. If Lexus sells a ton of these guys, and therefore has more money for more expensive projects like an IS460 or their supercar concept, then how can we complain about that?
Old 02-27-06, 01:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
RX is a market following model. It is no longer a market leader as in 1999, when it was the only SUV that drives like a sedan. This means Lexus does not put cutting edge technological feature by design. For example, IS/GS 350 get the state-of-the-art 2gr-fse, RX350 gets only the 2gr-fe, same engine that is in Avalon for 2 years. No push button start/wireless key sensing as in the IS. You will also never going to find forged OEM rims (Subaru WRX STI) , massive 13.5" brake w/ 4 piston monobloc calipers (Porche Cayenne). All we get are features that everyone else have for 2-3 years.
If you check other threads, there are plenty of owners that could not wait and extremely excited about RX350.
but it is still market leader though, it is best selling SUV on the market (luxury). I think you are confusing some things here - reason RX doesnt have all the coolest new tech compared to new IS is simply because it went on sale in 2003. So it got superb tech for that time. New RX350 will get latest gen nav (more advanced actually than IS350's) and few other things that dont require re-engineering.

As to the V6, it is done because of the price AND because of RX's platform which is different than IS's, and hence can only accept Avalon's GR engine, which really is not that bad either. Especially considering that RX400h is supposed to be fast version.

I dont know why would anyone even think of smaller Lexus SUV being actually I4. Why is that? I bet it will have same V6 as RX350. I wouldnt be suprised if it starts in 33k territory (as supposed to RX350 now in 38s), be slightly smaller only than RX350 because new RX350 will probably go a bit upmarket.
Old 02-27-06, 01:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RDX is packing the new variable geometry turbo, so there is pretty much no turbo lag above 2000 rpm, it will drive like a N/A car (no surge in power at later rpms) just with more power. Not to mention SH-AWD is the most advanced AWD system on the planet
Sorry, but Rav4's V6 will kick its **** in every possible way - speed, feel and consumption, for a lot less. Both Mazda and Acura are showing their roots by offering I4 Turbo versions of their small premium SUV's.
Old 02-27-06, 02:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Sorry, but Rav4's V6 will kick its **** in every possible way - speed, feel and consumption, for a lot less. Both Mazda and Acura are showing their roots by offering I4 Turbo versions of their small premium SUV's.
the launching traction of an AWD car isnt to be underestimated, AWD is superior to all drivetrain configs on drag straight line launches. And I would certainly hope the Rav4 costs less it being a toyota and the RDX being Acura. RDX will outhandle a Rav4 because of SH-AWD

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-27-06 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-27-06, 02:05 PM
LexFather

What some of you don't understand is, you do NOT have to compete in areas just b/c some people do. The X3 is small but PRICED like a RX 330.

Lexus is AFTER BMW and Benz, they could pretty much care less what 2nd tier brands do.

So you can have any sub RX SUV. Which is ridiculous anyway.

Lexus has NEVER, EVER chased SALES. They have chased SUCCESS and the people have COME and responded. Lexus never made any car just for sales. THey make excellent cars/SUVs and people buy them in droves. They have stated this in press releases.

My goodness, don't you think Lexus knows if they sold a 25k car or sedan, they would sell 500,000 vehicles a year.

Understand, Lexus sells 302,000 cars all priced above 32k, and most around 35k or more.

To even put an I-4 in anything luxury badged is lol anyway, sorry.

Old 02-27-06, 02:16 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Rav4 is a good platform to build a entry level SUV for Lexus. Excellent cute ute. Ohhh I have one
Old 02-27-06, 02:18 PM
LexFather

Poll Time!!!!

Old 02-27-06, 02:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the launching traction of an AWD car isnt to be underestimated, AWD is superior to all drivetrain configs on drag straight line launches. And I would certainly hope the Rav4 costs less it being a toyota and the RDX being Acura. RDX will outhandle a Rav4 because of SH-AWD
Rav4 V6 AWD Limited is priced at 26k. It has 0-60 in some 6.3 sec (I think thats what CD got). No turbo I4 will get close to that with 240hp. Will it really outhandle Rav4? I doubt it. Honda has yet to build small SUV that outhandles Rav4 or AWD system in SUV that is better that Rav4's. So far they did not make it.

Will people pay a lot more for Acura that is more has less power, has 4cly engine, is slower and has worse fuel consumption? I doubt it.

Now, Lexus small SUV would be great at 33k, especially in Europe, where RX is way too expensive due to taxes.

Quick Reply: New Model From Lexus