Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus go after lesser car makers and build cheapo SUVs?
Yes, no luxury brand is complete without an I-4, yippie!
7.55%
No, no, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO, hell Lexus has ENOUGH SUVs already
37.74%
Yes, only if the Rav-4 Lexus is a V-6
18.87%
No, it may increase sales, it kills prestige
30.19%
I'd rather they make a hybrid IS instead
5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

New Model From Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 05:07 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just amazing that people argue about handlings on SUVs. Isn't that an oxymoron? I think CRV or Honda HRV probably have better handling than RAV4, but we are talking about on-road handling.

And why can't a 240 hp (assumed) RDX outrun a V6 RAV4? I am not saying the RDX is going to be faster for sure, but do we have the spec yet? Do we know the gearing of the RDX, and its weight? What if it's lighter than RAV4 and have a shorter final gear? If 0-60 is all you care about, the lighter car with the shorter gear ratio may probably have a better chance to win that.

And I have to disagree that, given the same car with the same engine, the AWD model with have an advantage over the non-AWD one on drag race. AWD may give you a slight advantage at take off, but after that 0-20 maybe 30 mph, the weight penalty will show.

Can't Toyota just develop a small cross-over vehicle based on the Japan Caldina GT (at least 250 hp with the MR2 engine, AWD based on torsen differentials)?
Old 02-27-06, 07:21 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

LMAO! You guys were going on and on about how nice the new Rav4 is in another thread, and how Toyota is moving in the right direction... but when Lexus comes out and says they may make an SUV based off of the Rav4, people lose it.

I'd like to see some drawings and specs before I make up my mind... but as a younger Lexus owner, I'd love to see a Lexus that I can go into the dealership and afford... seeing even the IS is getting very expensive. However, they would have to do it RIGHT in order to not trash the Lexus name... but I'm not too worried... they've done a great job in the past.
Old 02-27-06, 07:23 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Rav4 V6 AWD Limited is priced at 26k. It has 0-60 in some 6.3 sec (I think thats what CD got). No turbo I4 will get close to that with 240hp. Will it really outhandle Rav4? I doubt it. Honda has yet to build small SUV that outhandles Rav4 or AWD system in SUV that is better that Rav4's. So far they did not make it.

Will people pay a lot more for Acura that is more has less power, has 4cly engine, is slower and has worse fuel consumption? I doubt it.

Now, Lexus small SUV would be great at 33k, especially in Europe, where RX is way too expensive due to taxes.
I've seen countless I4 turbos with 240hp with a better 0-60 time... most are DSMs which I can't stand... but still. Otherwise, I agree with everything you said. Lol.
Old 02-27-06, 07:34 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

the new RAV4 is nice, but I will not buy one. Because there's no rear bumper. I will not put any family or friend in that optional 3rd row seat.
Old 02-27-06, 08:17 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Lexus has three SUVs already, still not enough? I guess all they care is sales, look at them three SUVs and four sedans and only one convertible. They really need a coupe and a roadster(SC430 has the back seats).
Old 02-27-06, 08:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
It's just amazing that people argue about handlings on SUVs. Isn't that an oxymoron? I think CRV or Honda HRV probably have better handling than RAV4, but we are talking about on-road handling.

And why can't a 240 hp (assumed) RDX outrun a V6 RAV4? I am not saying the RDX is going to be faster for sure, but do we have the spec yet? Do we know the gearing of the RDX, and its weight? What if it's lighter than RAV4 and have a shorter final gear? If 0-60 is all you care about, the lighter car with the shorter gear ratio may probably have a better chance to win that.

And I have to disagree that, given the same car with the same engine, the AWD model with have an advantage over the non-AWD one on drag race. AWD may give you a slight advantage at take off, but after that 0-20 maybe 30 mph, the weight penalty will show.

Can't Toyota just develop a small cross-over vehicle based on the Japan Caldina GT (at least 250 hp with the MR2 engine, AWD based on torsen differentials)?
Speaking from experience, you are correct on the drag race scenario. The difference between the RX300 FWD and AWD versions is .2 in the 1/4 mile, with the AWD being slower, assuming both stock and equal other added extra weight, and tire pressure equal. The FWDs will spin upon launch, and that has helped my AWD RX300 win every time against an SUV at my track, even ones that clock a faster ET, since I have a faster reaction and a faster 60 foot.
Old 02-27-06, 08:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JJG2005
LMAO! You guys were going on and on about how nice the new Rav4 is in another thread, and how Toyota is moving in the right direction... but when Lexus comes out and says they may make an SUV based off of the Rav4, people lose it.

I'd like to see some drawings and specs before I make up my mind... but as a younger Lexus owner, I'd love to see a Lexus that I can go into the dealership and afford... seeing even the IS is getting very expensive. However, they would have to do it RIGHT in order to not trash the Lexus name... but I'm not too worried... they've done a great job in the past.
I agree with you in withholding judgment. All of our beloved Lexus vehicles can thank their roots to Toyota vehicles.
Old 02-28-06, 09:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Lexus has three SUVs already, still not enough? I guess all they care is sales, look at them three SUVs and four sedans and only one convertible. They really need a coupe and a roadster(SC430 has the back seats).
Your favorite brand has the worst SUV built, the QX56 and the FX 35/45, so they are RIGHT behind them, and could tie, with the downmarket CX that may come.

Lexus never chases sales as stated in press releases. THey simply build incredible cars that the market loves and sales come. NEver have they offered a sub 30k car or an I-4 car, like your favorite brand.

Old 02-28-06, 11:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bet you if this truck comes out, watch how fast the doubters will change there tune
Old 02-28-06, 11:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38

CRV doesnt have handling as good as RAV4, not even old Rav4. There is not an single SUV comparo that has been done in past 6 years that Rav4 was not called absolutly the best on road driver :-).

Why is an V6 with 270hp better choice than I4 turbo with 240hp in suv? Many reasons, such as instant response, smooth action, lots of torque and power anywhere in rpm range. Especially in an luxury vehicle, it is a no brainer. We got info abotu new Mazda CX, with I4 turbo and Rav4 outperforms it in every possible way, including power and significantly better mileage. No matter what they say about turbo lag, there is always turbo lag in production vehicle.

And actually, Rav4 has always been similar to Caldina, eh, it has always been an Celica with AWD, with multilink suspension.
Old 02-28-06, 12:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by spwolf
CRV doesnt have handling as good as RAV4, not even old Rav4. There is not an single SUV comparo that has been done in past 6 years that Rav4 was not called absolutly the best on road driver :-).

Why is an V6 with 270hp better choice than I4 turbo with 240hp in suv? Many reasons, such as instant response, smooth action, lots of torque and power anywhere in rpm range. Especially in an luxury vehicle, it is a no brainer. We got info abotu new Mazda CX, with I4 turbo and Rav4 outperforms it in every possible way, including power and significantly better mileage. No matter what they say about turbo lag, there is always turbo lag in production vehicle.

And actually, Rav4 has always been similar to Caldina, eh, it has always been an Celica with AWD, with multilink suspension.
Is there any speculation why Acura would not want to supercharge the RDX?
Old 02-28-06, 01:04 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 02 Rav4 takes corners way better than a stock GS400. It just feels tighter and more secure.
Old 02-28-06, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Sorry but this is exactly Acura's issue. You can argue the Toyota Rav-4 is better or even or just slightly worse than whatever the RD-X is. It WILL have more power and more cylinders than the RD-X, no matter what.

So Acura again, battling what should be Honda territory. This is now redundant.

Old 02-28-06, 06:12 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

I was thinking of waiting for the new IS prices to drop, but when I read that the "CUV" (or whatever) was in the making, I stopped and checked it out. While searching for that vehicle, I came across the Mazda CX-7 (Very nice SUV) I liked that vehicle so much that I'm now going to go with a small SUV, upon hours of researching it was either the Acura RDX, Mazda CX-7, or Lexus "CUV" anyways i think that going for entry level luxury small SUV will be better for me because of my age and will be cheaper than the IS 350.

I like the RX alot but I wish they changed certain things which I hope the new smaller Lexus will include. I hope they add in the Rear View camera and bi-xenon headlamps since there are "must have items" and hopefully heated/cooled seats!

But overall WAY TOO GO LEXUS!! For giving "us" young buyers an option to shop for a small SUV!
Old 03-01-06, 09:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there enough size difference between the RX and Rav4 to justify such a model? I know the RX would probably be redesigned by the time a Rav4 based SUV would make it to market but even then...I wonder how they would justify that size/engine wise. Funny how the RX used to start at like 32K and now the base price is about 6K more. I know there's a lot more car now than there was in the first gen but I think that Sick also brought up a good point. The RX is bigger and more powerful than the X3 and still competes with it on the basis of price. I'm betting that the RD-X will probably be starting in the high twenties though, a good 10K or so below the RX.

I guess in some ways I could see an SUV below the RX, and then again maybe not. I think that some sort of IS Sportwagon would be a better idea. I know that the sales of the last SportCross wouldn't exactly influence Lexus to build another one but the whole last IS in itself wasn't exactly popular. They could go the R-Class/Audi Allroad route and base it on the IS platform, toughen up the sheetmetal, give it more ground clearance than the sedan but not as much as the RX and maybe an adaptive variable suspension and AWD or something. IX 300 and IX 350? Then again, would that eliminate the need for the rumored GS-based crossover wagon? Who knows...this whole thread is just speculation so theres my two cents.

Michael

Last edited by MPLexus301; 03-01-06 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: New Model From Lexus